Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 221959 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #400 on: 02 April, 2015, 08:00:40 pm »
Team has considered a hand cycle -- but only very briefly - Steve's upperbody strength is not good enough to make it  a viable proposition.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #401 on: 02 April, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »
i reckon one leg would still be stronger than two hands. the guy that did pbp with one leg (i've ridden with him at the start) finished in around 70h. but to his "advantage" he didn't have to carry the weight of one non-functional leg - 15kg?..

My old audax teacher from the Union Audax Tournai did a couple of PBP's in the vedette category, while having only one leg. He also did a nice amount of French diagonales.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #402 on: 02 April, 2015, 08:40:36 pm »
i reckon one leg would still be stronger than two hands. the guy that did pbp with one leg (i've ridden with him at the start) finished in around 70h. but to his "advantage" he didn't have to carry the weight of one non-functional leg - 15kg?..

My limited experience tells me that:  a) Given sufficient knee pain and nothing to cause me to have to stop halfway, I can in fact cycle up Ditchling Beacon with one leg.   b) A couple of laps of the flat bit of Victoria Square was all I could manage on a handcycle, and my shoulders ached for days.

Extrapolating to teethgrinder ability levels left as an exercise for the reader...

« Reply #403 on: 02 April, 2015, 10:44:51 pm »
Team has considered a hand cycle -- but only very briefly - Steve's upperbody strength is not good enough to make it  a viable proposition.

Maybe one of these? He could still use his good leg and just use his arms to assist. Maybe remove the crank arm on the right side and install a small platform in its place?

« Reply #404 on: 03 April, 2015, 06:40:21 am »
Assembled by the young chap who usually stocks shelves in ASDA.

red marley

« Reply #405 on: 03 April, 2015, 06:43:30 am »
Day 92: Kurt's 220 mile trip from Little Rock to the Missouri state border takes his annual total to 16,933 miles - now the highest for all riders as Steve recuperates after his ankle operation.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #406 on: 03 April, 2015, 07:10:59 am »
I'd definitely leave the trace, unless Steve asks otherwise.  If nothing else it might be presented to the beak to show the enormity of what happened.

WRT cycling with one leg, lots have done it even when they weren't one-legged cyclists.  A chum did 150 km that way after his left crank broke.  But Steve would not only have a leg that couldn't drive, he'd have to cater for the dead weight of the cast.  I had a hell of a time getting on the turbo when I had my ankle in a fibreglass boot, and in plaster it was impossible.  OTOH I hadn't had plate & screws, just immobilization for a cracked talus bone.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #407 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:17:06 am »
I think in fairness to jo's hard work,  we should probably restrict our speculation to one of the more relevant threads ...
such as "Speculation" https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=89464.0 !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #408 on: 06 April, 2015, 05:23:12 pm »
Day 93: A 221 mile ride from Little Rock heading south east for Kurt takes is average distance for the year over 204 miles per day. Steve continues to recover from his ankle operation and makes plans for the rest of the year.

red marley

« Reply #409 on: 06 April, 2015, 05:24:01 pm »
Day 94: A 200 mile trip SW from Little Rock today for Kurt with more climbing than usual.

red marley

« Reply #410 on: 06 April, 2015, 06:34:01 pm »
Day 95: A comparative rest day for Kurt with some vehicle transfers takes him from the Texas state border back to Little Rock for a day's total of 112 miles. With Steve out of action and an average of over 203 miles per day so far, he can afford some of these easier days.

red marley

« Reply #411 on: 07 April, 2015, 06:40:43 am »
Day 96: Kurt rides a 220 mile loop from Little Rock sending his trajectory back towards Tommy's annual pace. Steve and Kurt have now ridden for 87 full days each.

red marley

« Reply #412 on: 08 April, 2015, 06:21:49 am »
Day 97: Kurt back to 215+ miles per day after his recent shorter day. Another loop from Little Rock sees him heading upwards again as we approach international HAM'R day. While Steve is still recovering, the bells of Marsh Gibbon ring out a Quarter Peal in celebration of his achievements in his first 88 days..

red marley

« Reply #413 on: 09 April, 2015, 06:24:46 am »
Day 98: Another 216 miles of riding around Little Rock from Kurt raises his average to 203.6 miles per day. Despite 10 days off the bike following his ankle injury, Steve has still spent more than half of 2015 moving on his bike.

red marley

« Reply #414 on: 10 April, 2015, 05:56:47 am »
Day 99: A show of strength from Kurt two days before Miles Smith is due to enter the OYTT. A long fast day sees him ride 240 miles from Little Rock NE into Missouri with an average heartbeat of only 86bpm. Steve waits for his new adapted trike to be delivered and set up.

red marley

« Reply #415 on: 11 April, 2015, 08:50:53 pm »
Day 100: Kurt makes a slightly more direct return journey from Missouri back to Little Rock, clocking up 215 miles and taking his daily average to 204.2 miles. Steve awaits the arrival of his new trike.

red marley

« Reply #416 on: 12 April, 2015, 07:14:07 am »
Day 101: International HAM'R Day. Miles Smith joins the OYTT challenge with 125 miles ridden before breakfast, but with a possible 250 more pending some technical difficulties with the GPS. Kurt rides for 207 miles around Little Rock to keep his daily mileage high. Steve, still waiting for his adapted trike to arrive, remains just above Tommy's April 11th total despite nearly two weeks off the bike.

red marley

« Reply #417 on: 13 April, 2015, 06:31:08 am »
Day 102: Yet another solid 211 miles from Kurt around Little Rock, AR. After Miles' very impressive 274 mile debut, his second day is already looking familiar as he rides back and forth between Melbourne and Sorrento along the coastal road clocking up a further 203 miles. Steve is forced to wait for a few days more before his trike arrives.

red marley

« Reply #418 on: 14 April, 2015, 06:22:45 am »
Day 103: Wet weather and an early crash cuts Kurt's ride a little shorter than usual at 144 miles. Miles continues his back and forth along the coast from Melbourne putting him 78.5 in front of Tommy's average annual pace. Steve still stuck at home awaiting his trike delivery.

red marley

« Reply #419 on: 15 April, 2015, 05:51:16 am »
Day 104: Kurt celebrates the eve of his 52nd birthday with some road rash from yesterday's spill on slippery roads and a slightly shorter day of 177 miles. Miles Smith continues his back and forth along the Victoria coast with 132 miles posted but more in the bag. More waiting for Steve.

« Reply #420 on: 15 April, 2015, 02:41:07 pm »
Thank you for continuing with these visualizations Jo, much appreciated  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #421 on: 15 April, 2015, 06:53:18 pm »
With new starters every 4 months, does jo think this is a job for life?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #422 on: 16 April, 2015, 12:23:09 am »
This is something that really needs to be automated.

red marley

« Reply #423 on: 16 April, 2015, 10:41:18 pm »
Just to add that there is a slight pause in OYTT visualization proceedings while some Real Life occupies my time. Hopefully back to thought for the day by the weekend.

« Reply #424 on: 17 April, 2015, 06:25:11 am »
Best wishes Jo.