Author Topic: The "Buzzard" is back!  (Read 9279 times)

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
Re: The "Buzzard" is back!
« Reply #25 on: 09 July, 2017, 04:43:33 pm »
Got as far as Charlbury (Exeter starter), struggling so diverted into the village for coke and crisps on the advice of 'don't pack until you've had a cup of tea and a sit down' and it being the closest option.  The first stage had gone really well and fast (for me), then a couple of minor set-backs; taking the wrong stone arch in Wells, followed by a mud guard breaking as soon as I hit Oxfordshire and crap road surfaces (satisfactorily fixed with duck tape). After Cirencester I'd started to get uncomfortable in both saddle and feet, and was failing to take any enjoyment whatsoever despite the great weather and countryside. If it was a 300 km I could have tolerated it but the thought of so much still to come...

Ended up retracing to Burford where I spent the night in the field behind the car park (that type of accommodation was always planned) then rode to Cheltenham this morning straight down the fairly peaceful A40 and waited for a coffee purveyor to open (Starbucks, 7 am).  Picked up my train route back to Leeds, tried to book my bike on but apparently despite the ticket office opening at 9 am you can't make cycle reservations until at least an hour later, it being 'too early'.

Well it was nice to have some time in Exeter beforehand being an ex-resident, shame not to make LB where I also spent a year; this was one of the reasons I entered this ride.  And Cheltenham is also an old haunt, now I think about it that's where I learnt to ride a bike, along the pavement outside my grandmother's flat.

Hope the rest of you had a more successful ride and look forward to hearing about it.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #26 on: 10 July, 2017, 05:33:53 am »
I'll try and be short. It was great returning to this ride (done once in 2013). Not dug out the old sheet to see if the route is the same (I recognised some bits, but not others). Distances on the sheet were confusing at times, and there were some other hiccups, but I had the gps as a checker (and the gps is my night guide). Thought the Straggler had left before me (only saw one other guy left at the start). Rode fast with Hillingdon Tri Mark looking for him, then deduced he must have been still at the start. Never saw him again. Rode with Mark to the 1st and 2nd controls, where he went for pizza with this other guy (I heard he rode like a rocket after), while I went to the station for a coffee (no receipt) then back tracked to the co-op. Rode the next section mainly on my own, wondering if Salisbury had a 'spoons. It did, and I stopped for their burger, chips and pint deal with the velo top with matching socks bloke (sorry, forgot your name). Fancied a pot of tea during the next bit, so stopped on my own at the tea room (ex pub?), on the bend in Shaftsbury, watching the world (and some audaxers) go by. Rode alone to Sherborne Waitrose (free coffee), where my TMK mate showed up. We rode a bit together, 'til he dropped me (bikepackers!), when I stopped to sort out the sheet. Never saw him again. Enjoyed the downhills, but not the ups, to Exeter, and the night riding on quietish main roads, watching the pubbers/clubbers out and about. Stopped at the Wellington garage where the nice old attendant put the Subway café lights on so I could eat and drnk in there. She was amazed when I showed her the brevet card, and I said we do it for fun. Caught by another audaxer at Wells, and we yo-yo'd most of the rest of the ride. I drank a lot again (clouds not doing their job with the sun). Drank and ate at Brackley Waitrose, then drank more at the co-op, before setting off on the dreaded last section (so easy to head straight home along the last bit). Sprinted from Winslow, when I thought I could finish within the hour, then sat at the station, wondering whether to catch a train, go to 'sppons, or just ride home. I chose the latter.

After three punctures on three different old tyres within a week, I rode this event on brand new Marathon Plus 25mm's. I felt sluggish uphill, and less confident cornering. I might use them on CTC rides, and go back to 4 seasons for audaxing.

I'm glad I rode this event again, with lots of changes in scenery, and some good company. well done Ian.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #27 on: 10 July, 2017, 11:56:33 am »
My first 600, completing my first (and only, i expect) SR series.

LB start, ripped a tyre open 18miles in. Patched it up with the old toothpaste tube i have carried for years, but never deployed, until the shops opened so i could replace it. Diverted at Aldermaston to nearby Tadley (PedalOn) to procure said replacement.

Fairly smooth sailing thereafter, met lots of nice folk on my way round. Got a little light-headed at Shaftsbury so stopped for a meal. Made it to Exeter by 2230, then onward to my luxury accommodation in Taunton at 0130. I'm not going to work out the £/hr rate of that kip, but the shower was very welcome.

Bit of breakfast in very busy Wells (Boules tournament), a hill, received a one-fingered salute by a gentleman in a Ford Galaxy, for no reason I can fathom, in Bath, another hill. Welcomed back to my native Oxfordshire with some truly awful road surfacing near Burford. Shortly afterwards, the sun got me. Went all wobbly, had a sit down, made the mistake of falling asleep before i'd had something to drink and woke up 40mins later in another dimension. Had a meal with lashings of salt which saw me right until the finish.

Hell of an experience. Not sure I'd do a 600 again. I'd need to figure out my saddle/bikefit woes before I try it. Very painful last 100 miles - and ever since. OOoooooh.

You lot are mad. Love you all long time.

« Reply #28 on: 10 July, 2017, 12:32:46 pm »
Don't forget to post your cards, folks.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #29 on: 23 May, 2018, 11:07:13 am »
I’ve entered this year’s event for my first 600. Really looking forward to it, but don’t mind admitting to being a bit nervous too.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #30 on: 23 May, 2018, 11:50:50 am »
Same here! My first go at a 600 (did my first 400 earlier this month). What's your sleep strategy?

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #31 on: 23 May, 2018, 02:30:59 pm »
Same here! My first go at a 600 (did my first 400 earlier this month). What's your sleep strategy?

Keep going until I need one! I’m hoping to only need maybe 30 mins at some point? As ever, all plans are liabale to change once in contact with the enemy!

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #32 on: 23 May, 2018, 02:44:52 pm »
In Australia people wear fake plastic 'eyes' on the backs of ther heads to keep off attacking magpies (yes really), perhaps locals should start doing the same!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #33 on: 23 May, 2018, 04:18:21 pm »
In Australia people wear fake plastic 'eyes' on the backs of ther heads to keep off attacking magpies (yes really), perhaps locals should start doing the same!

Eyes drawn on the back of a cycling cap didn't deter the Devon buzzard.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #34 on: 12 June, 2018, 09:14:54 pm »
So I’ve been thinking a bit more about how to tackle this. I think I can cycle through without a major stop although I would like a break to maybe have a quick nap. I think I would find it harder to stop completely and get in a bed as I’m not sure I would get out of it again. Stopping at Exeter Services seems obvious but also seems a bit early. Anyone got any recommendations for a place to stop around the 400km point where I could stick my head down on a table and grab a tea? Thanks. Alex

« Reply #35 on: 12 June, 2018, 09:43:10 pm »
I've updated the routesheet & gpx at ukcyclist.co.uk.  Still subject to a routecheck nearer the time.

In response to AK there appears to be a 24hr MacDonald's Near the M5 in Taunton, if that's your thing.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #36 on: 12 June, 2018, 10:00:20 pm »
Any port in a storm, Ian. Thank you.

« Reply #37 on: 13 June, 2018, 08:51:33 am »
That McD's was full of boy racers at 1am when I stopped there last year. They all seemed to have 'helpful' advice for me needed to upgrade my method of transport, so it might not be that restful. It's on the outskirts of a business park which looked to have plenty of grassy mounds and shrubbery you could hide in for 40 winks.

« Reply #38 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:55:07 am »
I last rode the Buzzard, rather than the Exe-Buzzard, in 2015.  I booked the Premier Inn at Taunton* and had a good night's sleep.

*There are two, one either side of the M5.  I inadvertently booked the one on the south side, which only came to light when they couldn't find my booking at the other.  Not that they're far apart.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #39 on: 13 June, 2018, 11:21:04 am »
I see that there’s a 24 hour Esso garage in Wells, so could fuel up there and then find a place to stop?

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #40 on: 28 June, 2018, 01:39:13 pm »
Just wondering if the route on the Buzzrd website is the final one? Just started putting the route into Garminconnect and was hoping there won’t be too many changes? Ta.

« Reply #41 on: 28 June, 2018, 02:04:26 pm »
The gps file won't change.  I'm not riding the route until a couple of days before so any changes to the routesheet will be last-minute.

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #42 on: 28 June, 2018, 02:08:21 pm »
Cheers Ian.  Thank you. 👍

« Reply #43 on: 01 July, 2018, 09:12:57 pm »
Emails sent to everyone.

Steve Abraham has kindly offered to deal with the Leighton Buzzard start.  I shall send the Exeter starters off.

Jeremy and I are riding the route Wednesday-Thursday.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #44 on: 05 July, 2018, 12:16:52 pm »
any chance of an alternative control option to Salisbury?

« Reply #45 on: 05 July, 2018, 01:12:11 pm »
Toby - the organiser is riding the route as I type (about 500k in) so will have controlled through Salisbury (Exe-Buzzard) just now. He'll be back on line (if a touch fatiqued) tonight (Thursday). Route doesn't go through Amesbury.

Ben T

« Reply #46 on: 05 July, 2018, 02:37:03 pm »

just don't touch or eat anything  :o ;)

« Reply #47 on: 05 July, 2018, 10:15:20 pm »
Toby - the organiser is riding the route as I type (about 500k in) so will have controlled through Salisbury (Exe-Buzzard) just now. He'll be back on line (if a touch fatiqued) tonight (Thursday). Route doesn't go through Amesbury.

There was no sign of anything untoward in Salisbury (apart from a couple of sweaty audaxers).

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #48 on: 06 July, 2018, 01:22:38 am »

There was no sign of anything untoward in Salisbury (apart from a couple of sweaty audaxers).

The perfect cover!

AK

• Bloggy blog
« Reply #49 on: 06 July, 2018, 10:25:52 am »
If anyone wants them, I've done each section as a Garmin file. Let me know and I'll paste some links here