Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 425396 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #600 on: 02 January, 2012, 04:17:39 pm »
I've started running/jogging recently. Never been a great runner as have always been heavy at 16.5st+

Me too. But I still can't run for even 20 minutes solidly, and my knee really hurts if I run or even walk for too long.
How long is it supposed to take from utterly sedentary to being able to run (say) 10k?

Well if you'd settle for 5k there's the Couch to 5k plan which takes about 2 months - it'll take loads longer if you don't give the knee time to recover first though.

It can be slow work learning to run comfortably, we can't all be Rich.
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #601 on: 02 January, 2012, 04:34:57 pm »
I plan to do 3 runs a week, Tue - Thurs and 1 at the weekend. Last run was Friday so I had chance to do one today. Will not run again until Thursday now.
Don't know if it helped but I ran with compression tights on today, may all be in the mind  ;D
Hope to get to a reasonable distance before the MK half marathon I've just signed up for in March  :o

Rich

« Reply #602 on: 02 January, 2012, 09:07:52 pm »
I plan to do 3 runs a week, Tue - Thurs and 1 at the weekend. Last run was Friday so I had chance to do one today. Will not run again until Thursday now.
Don't know if it helped but I ran with compression tights on today, may all be in the mind  ;D
Hope to get to a reasonable distance before the MK half marathon I've just signed up for in March  :o

Rich

Sounds like you're well on target for the MK Half. If you can get it up to 11 miles by a couple of weeks before without damaging yourself then have an easy weekend taper I reckon you'll be round in under 2 hours.

I got an unplanned PB there last year - just entered for this year before it fills up, I've gone and entered the new MK marathon so it'll be good training.

(Last year's subjective waffle here.)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #603 on: 02 January, 2012, 10:35:06 pm »
I've gone and entered the new MK marathon so it'll be good training.

You can join Mr Abraham and AndyM from here on that one then  :thumbsup:
I'm not that daft, yet  ;D maybe next year  ;)

Chris S

« Reply #604 on: 03 January, 2012, 10:40:03 am »
I'm continuing to stand by what the consultant at the N&N Hospital said to me when I did my knee in three years ago:

"Your knee looks fine, but in case you are planning on taking up running - here's my advice. Don't."

I jogged alongside fboab at the weekend - to show support and solidarity you understand - and my knee was immediately complaining. Cycling and rowing will have to do.

« Reply #605 on: 03 January, 2012, 07:06:54 pm »
I've gone and entered the new MK marathon so it'll be good training.

You can join Mr Abraham and AndyM from here on that one then  :thumbsup:
I'm not that daft, yet  ;D maybe next year  ;)

Ah right - so when I hear the sound of hob-nail boots closing fast from behind I'll know who's about to leave me for dust  ;D

simonp

« Reply #606 on: 03 January, 2012, 07:11:33 pm »
Entering a marathon sounds very daft.

I took Google and Squidge round Cheddar reservoir this evening and ran (jogged) two laps. Was a bit slow due in particular to taking a phone call on the second lap. Fastest km split was 6:38, last year I ran 1.8km in that sort of time. 7.19km including the walking bit took 56:23.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #607 on: 10 January, 2012, 02:13:09 pm »
13km on Sunday, legs not aching so this morning did just over 16km.
10 miles in 1.33hrs, Definitely on course for the 1/2.

« Reply #608 on: 10 January, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »
Wow.
In more beginners' style, I managed 2km where I ran more than I walked. Of such small steps are great journeys begun.

It's less boring than rowing or the turbo, which is the most positive thing I can yet come up with about my 'running'.

« Reply #609 on: 10 January, 2012, 04:11:50 pm »
A few of us might, though.
From what I have heard from others, too: It is a recumbent thing. Riding a recumbent seems to train lots of the same muscles as running, so you can go from zero to quite impressive distances in a comparatively short time. And vice versa: Runners do really well on recumbents without suffering so much while "adapting".

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #610 on: 10 January, 2012, 04:31:19 pm »
I was thinking the same thing.
When I tried running yrs ago I was getting a lot of pain in my shins.
Riding the recumbent works this muscle, to the extent they are quite noticeable when you flex them.

Keep at it Lindsay, it will get easier.

Rich

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #611 on: 10 January, 2012, 04:40:08 pm »
I wonder if this idea will catch on in Triathlon world ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #612 on: 10 January, 2012, 06:47:33 pm »
A few of us might, though.
From what I have heard from others, too: It is a recumbent thing. Riding a recumbent seems to train lots of the same muscles as running, so you can go from zero to quite impressive distances in a comparatively short time. And vice versa: Runners do really well on recumbents without suffering so much while "adapting".
This does have a ring of truth - there's something about recumbent riders position that resembles running, at least on the more laid back ones.

Keep it up Rich, I'm reckoning you'll be running the 13.1 miles in training well before the event at this rate!

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #613 on: 21 January, 2012, 02:19:01 pm »
Did the MK Parkrun today, followed TG around but couldn't catch him.
Legs were starting to slow on the last 2km, fastest 5km I've managed though in 25.50
Great turnout for the 2nd anniversary of the run here.

Official time was 25.34 "You finished in 106th place and were the 90th gent out of a field of 297 parkrunners and you came 19th in your age category VM40-44"
Next target is under 25mins!!

« Reply #614 on: 22 January, 2012, 03:32:01 pm »
Did the MK Parkrun today, followed TG around but couldn't catch him.
Legs were starting to slow on the last 2km, fastest 5km I've managed though in 25.50
Great turnout for the 2nd anniversary of the run here.

Official time was 25.34 "You finished in 106th place and were the 90th gent out of a field of 297 parkrunners and you came 19th in your age category VM40-44"
Next target is under 25mins!!

I reckon you'll be under 25 minutes soon enough but catching TG ... hmmm!

I volunteered at Oxford parkrun instead of running as planned yesterday as wanted to let my knee get properly better after I bashed it falling off my bike on Wednesday, managed a knackering but pleasant hilly 10 mile trail run today though so back on track.

trixie

« Reply #615 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:07:20 am »
I've a place in the Great Bentley (nr Colchester) half-marathon this Sunday. Never done it before but it's a big event with 100s of runners.  Anyone else in? or done it before?

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #616 on: 02 February, 2012, 03:31:58 pm »
First 5km walk/jog of the year today!  Didn't feel too puggled at the end of it either....  No doubt I'll be sair tomorrow though....   :thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #617 on: 02 February, 2012, 03:39:27 pm »
I've a place in the Great Bentley (nr Colchester) half-marathon this Sunday. Never done it before but it's a big event with 100s of runners.  Anyone else in? or done it before?

Nope but doing the Colchester half on 11th march.

« Reply #618 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:21:29 am »

I've never done it but the Runners World reviews reckon flat, fast and well organised which reflects a club mates report on it I read a couple of years ago. Fancy dress as an Eskimo might be in order  ;)

« Reply #619 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:24:24 am »
First 5km walk/jog of the year today!  Didn't feel too puggled at the end of it either....  No doubt I'll be sair tomorrow though....   :thumbsup:
Just trying to persuade myself to get out there for a few miles cross country, temperatures almost up to minus 2!  I don't mind the cold legs and stuff - it's all that huffing and puffing sub-zero air that gets me.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #620 on: 03 February, 2012, 12:06:13 pm »
It's not too bad today once you get going  ;D
I've just looked at my log for January, 102km cycling 107km running!!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #621 on: 03 February, 2012, 02:46:37 pm »
If I can face the bike ride over there, tomorrow's parkrun should be lovely and mud-free  :thumbsup:

[I'll probably turn an ankle on the hard ground ...  ::-)   ]

I don't mind the cold air, but then I don't really run fast enough to be truly gasping - it's really my legs holding me back at this stage, not my heart+lungs. I've always liked running in the cold, much less hassle than cycling - this is a big reason for trying to get back into it, especially in the light of   numerous dodgy wheels-vs-ice moments in recent winters.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #622 on: 03 February, 2012, 06:51:06 pm »
Likewise I'll drag myself to Oxford parkrun if the ride there doesn't seem that unreasonable at 8am tomorrow.

Great run in the cold and sun today when I eventually got out there - sort of compensation for an old man run yesterday  :)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #623 on: 04 February, 2012, 02:13:15 pm »
I've decided to have a go at running again, my weight loss is going OK but now I'm 10.5 lbs away from target  it is getting tough.  I think a change of tack is called for.

I think the only way I'm likely to do this is to run to work.  Thing is how to carry my stuff?

The stuff in question is a large bunch of keys, a mobile phone. ID card on lanyard  and my lunch.  My lunch typically consists of one large banana, one apple and three tangerines/satsumas.

Might want to take my ipod as well.

Do they do bum bags suitable for this little lot or am I looking at some sort of back pack?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #624 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:55:52 pm »
Do they do bum bags suitable for this little lot or am I looking at some sort of back pack?
The sort of bum bags used for hill running should do. eg Inov8 or OMM have a few styles and sizes. This kind of thing: http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/trolleyed/12/17/161/index.htm