Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 399981 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #625 on: 04 February, 2012, 05:42:03 pm »
I've decided to have a go at running again, my weight loss is going OK but now I'm 10.5 lbs away from target  it is getting tough.  I think a change of tack is called for.

I think the only way I'm likely to do this is to run to work.  Thing is how to carry my stuff?

The stuff in question is a large bunch of keys, a mobile phone. ID card on lanyard  and my lunch.  My lunch typically consists of one large banana, one apple and three tangerines/satsumas.

Might want to take my ipod as well.

Do they do bum bags suitable for this little lot or am I looking at some sort of back pack?

Think I'd be tempted to leave a mountain of fruit at work once a week then just carry the bare minimum in a small running bum bag. I've got a running bum bag/bottle carrier and a small hydro backpack but really prefer not to use them unless I have to due to sweaty bits and bumping about.
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #626 on: 04 February, 2012, 05:59:09 pm »
Apparently it was -7'c as I rode to today's parkrun - seems about right, as my breath had frozen in my buff by the time I started running! Lovely conditions for the actual run though.

Finally trusted my aging legs enough to run 'fastish' (as opposed to 'steady') from the off. Thankfully no twinges, and a PB (24:30 according to the MattC electronic timing system). Pretty knackered.

Nice to finally get below my 10mile bike time! Still a good minute behind Nik on the same course - oh well, something to aim for  ::-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #627 on: 04 February, 2012, 06:17:05 pm »
Apparently it was -7'c as I rode to today's parkrun - seems about right, as my breath had frozen in my buff by the time I started running! Lovely conditions for the actual run though.

Finally trusted my aging legs enough to run 'fastish' (as opposed to 'steady') from the off. Thankfully no twinges, and a PB (24:30 according to the MattC electronic timing system). Pretty knackered.

Nice to finally get below my 10mile bike time! Still a good minute behind Nik on the same course - oh well, something to aim for  ::-)

Yes -7.8 when I left home at 8:15 - reckon it was a balmy minus 3 in the sunshine for the run. My second slowest to date I think but enjoyed it. Were you late again then Matt?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #628 on: 04 February, 2012, 06:36:16 pm »
How dare you sir!!!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #629 on: 04 February, 2012, 06:42:14 pm »
How dare you sir!!!
If you're running next Saturday you should definitely beat my time.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #630 on: 04 February, 2012, 06:52:56 pm »
Half-marathon?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #631 on: 04 February, 2012, 07:09:42 pm »
Half-marathon?!?

Ox parkrun tail-runner  ;D

trixie

« Reply #632 on: 05 February, 2012, 01:29:39 pm »
Great Bentley half postponed! Will have to go through the agony another day...had a great walk in the snowy woods today though.

« Reply #633 on: 06 February, 2012, 05:49:04 pm »
Great Bentley half postponed! Will have to go through the agony another day...had a great walk in the snowy woods today though.

If the snow there was anything like Oxford I wouldn't of fancied racing in it, looks like they've rescheduled for 25th March so not too long to wait. Similar happened with the February Wokingham half a couple of years back and we ended up running on a baking hot day in the middle of Summer instead.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #634 on: 07 February, 2012, 06:50:52 am »
Another jogwithlesswalk yesterday, 38 minutes for 5k!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #635 on: 07 February, 2012, 02:30:36 pm »
Suffering with ankle pain since I started running again after a year+ break. I've been trying to switch to a more midfoot strike in an effort to avoid the injuries that plague me when I run. Google suggests that this is normal for people who switch - anyone else experienced anything similar? Haven't run for several days, and just did 11km at lunch. Still slow and achy up to 7km, but then felt much better. It does feel more natural to me - so much so, I can't remember how I used to run before.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #636 on: 07 February, 2012, 02:40:57 pm »
11km sounds like a very long run for someone out of practice. :(

Of course many people would be fine, but why invite trouble?

It is certainly normal to feel achey calves if you move away from heelstrike, because the muscle does a lot more work - but I've never heard of ankle pain. My instinct is always to think that joint pain is bad. (muscle pain - not necessarily).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #637 on: 07 February, 2012, 07:01:56 pm »
Done 80km since Jan 18th, so have worked up to it. Also, its more of an ache than pain. There's a fair bit out  there on changing to a mid sole strike and achy ankles, so I'm not worried. Just wondering how soon it will pass. Today was much better than the last two 10kms.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #638 on: 08 February, 2012, 12:31:56 pm »
Erm, easy online entries has just got me signed up for the Abingdon Marathon in Oct!!
Always liked the idea of doing one, so now looks like the time.

Chris S

« Reply #639 on: 08 February, 2012, 03:48:30 pm »
I am now on week three of the Couch to 5K programme.

The good news: My knee seems fine with the idea, as long as I'm on the treadmills at the gym.

The bad news: I'm still shit at running.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #640 on: 08 February, 2012, 03:51:08 pm »
Erm, easy online entries has just got me signed up for the Abingdon Marathon in Oct!!
Nutter!!!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #641 on: 08 February, 2012, 04:01:40 pm »
Done 80km since Jan 18th, so have worked up to it. Also, its more of an ache than pain. There's a fair bit out  there on changing to a mid sole strike and achy ankles, so I'm not worried. Just wondering how soon it will pass. Today was much better than the last two 10kms.
Ah, righty-ho. Well I didn't know about ankle pains, but I did get achey calves for quite a while. So I can't really help you  :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #642 on: 08 February, 2012, 05:51:48 pm »

See you there  :thumbsup:

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #643 on: 08 February, 2012, 05:56:23 pm »
I am now on week three of the Couch to 5K programme.

The good news: My knee seems fine with the idea, as long as I'm on the treadmills at the gym.

The bad news: I'm still shit at running.

I'm doing that as well. I've just done week 5 run 1. This is probably the longest I've ever consistently stuck at running which is a surprise. I don't hate it as much as I used to, but I still don't like it much. So far, no shin splints or hip issues or anything too hurty. Whoop. But I can barely call what I do running. It is not even jogging. I am so S L O W....

« Reply #644 on: 09 February, 2012, 11:28:19 am »
Just ordered some Terra Plana Neos, and have been doing the 100-up drill. Going to take it very easy and rotate between my normal shoes and these for a bit, see how I get on.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #645 on: 09 February, 2012, 01:43:56 pm »
I've just read something in the parkrun newsletter about weight loss vs times. He reckoned he knocked 7secs off his 5k times for every pound lost, and that this is the same figure quoted by [some famous writing runner].

I read somewhere else that energy required to run is roughly linear with body weight. So if you change weight without gaining/losing any power/fitness, then a 14st runner taking 25min to run 5k, would hope to gain ....
yup, about 7secs per pound lost!

(Someone check my maths, but it's probably right). It can't really be a perfect linear relationship, but it's nice when these rough rules-of-thumb turn out to be pretty close to reality.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #646 on: 10 February, 2012, 08:38:33 am »
There's a calculator (among others) on this site that shows the same.
http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/diet/weighteffect

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #647 on: 11 February, 2012, 10:33:43 am »
Did the MK Parkrun today, followed TG around but couldn't catch him.
Legs were starting to slow on the last 2km, fastest 5km I've managed though in 25.50
Great turnout for the 2nd anniversary of the run here.

Official time was 25.34 "You finished in 106th place and were the 90th gent out of a field of 297 parkrunners and you came 19th in your age category VM40-44"
Next target is under 25mins!!

Looking at the splits from today's run on my phone I did it in just under 24mins!
Will have to wait for the official time though.
Was fun today with a good turnout despite the -14 temp by the lake!!

Edit: Official time of 24.13. Not under 24 but still good for an icy run :thumbsup:

« Reply #648 on: 11 February, 2012, 10:58:17 am »
Well done Rich :thumbsup:

We had about half the usual turnout at Oxford but it was great jogging round as tail runner. I did 12 miles yesterday so it was sort of an enforced 'recovery run'. Pretty sure the last chap scraped in under 35min which would be a PB so he was well chuffed if a little knackered. Oxford was mostly in a couple of inches of snow so bit slippy.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #649 on: 19 February, 2012, 05:15:03 pm »
Got a PB again this week of 23.33, it will start to get harder now  ;D
Today was the longest run so far at 20.1km in 1hr47 Looks like an under 2hr 1/2 is on the cards all going well :thumbsup: