Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 444310 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1475 on: 28 March, 2015, 11:28:06 am »
I feel I have a reason to be smug about my ParkRun time.

:smug: :smug:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1476 on: 28 March, 2015, 11:45:49 am »
I feel I have a reason to be smug about my ParkRun time.

:smug: :smug:

Cracking on a bit there:) Well done. next target 16 or 16:30?

I was chuffed to run just under 23 1/2 the other night. Still getting faster though, and nearly a v50...

« Reply #1477 on: 28 March, 2015, 01:28:53 pm »
Must be a good day for Parkrunning. Our course record was broken (first time under 17 minutes) and we had 63 PBs! (including me  :smug: )
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #1478 on: 11 April, 2015, 08:14:59 am »
Brighton Marathon for me tomorrow, anyone joining me?

« Reply #1479 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:33:19 pm »
I plodded round the marathon today. Really caught the sun as well.

Blazer

« Reply #1480 on: 13 April, 2015, 10:09:10 am »
Great fun in Brighton yesterday.  Same sun effects for me as geraldc.

Spotted a South Down Velo top in the crowds around the 16 mile point IIRC.

Alton 10 in the diary for 10th May and a Pompey Wednesday Night Bike ride or two.

« Reply #1481 on: 13 April, 2015, 11:55:08 am »
It's the second time I've done Brighton, enjoy it each time. Doing London once was enough to put me off it. Today I seem to developed marathon related tourettes, I can't move without a barrage of swearing. However all of my colleagues are admiring my tan.

Blazer

« Reply #1482 on: 14 April, 2015, 08:10:15 pm »
geraldc - how's the recovery going?

I've just agreed to accompany Hummers on a direct-ish route to the pub tomorrow night.  I'm sure I'll be in safe hands

« Reply #1483 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:24:49 am »
Recovery pretty much complete. Contemplating going for a light jog tonight.

Blazer

« Reply #1484 on: 17 April, 2015, 03:09:25 pm »
All back to normal for me, should clock up a few km on the bike and have entered a sprint triathlon on the 3rd May.  Haven't been swimming for around 10 months so off to a pool to see how long it takes to do 400m...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1485 on: 21 April, 2015, 06:42:25 am »
Just entered my first half marathon.

Any tips to get me from a 70 miles  per week cycling, 2 miles every couple of weeks running, to turning in a respectable time?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1486 on: 22 April, 2015, 12:13:36 pm »

Any tips to get me from a 70 miles  per week cycling, 2 miles every couple of weeks running, to turning in a respectable time?
You'll probably have to increase that 2miles to at least one 13miler at some point. Race day will suffice.

HTH
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1487 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:43:53 pm »
Paul Martelletti, who lives near me and has done my local ParkRun, won Manchester Marathon last Sunday with 2h17. He's now going for a sub 2h30 London Marathon, but dressed as spiderman. Success will be a pointless world record, and any money raised (after paying Guinness fees for the record....) will go to Parkinson's UK. Details here: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/spidermanworldrecord
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #1488 on: 22 April, 2015, 10:04:13 pm »

Decide what you think is respectable first. There's a world of difference between running 100, 90 and sub 70 minutes fore a half.

It also depends when it is. If you have a few months you could gradually increase the number and distance of runs, perhaps including a bit of interval work. If it's next week then it's a rule 5 event and you can expect to suffer afterwards.

Basically gradually do more faster, but probably not both at once. The old rule is increase in total distance and longest run is capped at 2 miles or 10% Per week.

It's possible to run a quickest half of under 40 miles per week, although probably not ideal. Under 20,  after a few weeks, could get you round in relative comfort.

Mike.

PaulF

« Reply #1489 on: 23 April, 2015, 05:45:52 am »
Thanks, it's not until October so I've got a little time :)

Not sure what you meant by:

It's possible to run a quickest half of under 40 miles per week, although probably not ideal. Under 20,  after a few weeks, could get you round in relative comfort.

Mike.

« Reply #1490 on: 23 April, 2015, 01:11:47 pm »
Thanks, it's not until October so I've got a little time :)

Not sure what you meant by:

Mike.

Sorry, mobile phone autocorrect runs wild again.

I was suggesting that it's possible to run a quickish half marathon  whilst training for less than 40 running miles per week (when I was a lad I was under 70 minutes on this sort of mileage), and that even if you consistently ran only 20 miles per week you would get around comfortably.

Keys are to:

1. build up slowly - running loads your body differently than the bike
2. run regularly - i'd aim to get to at least 3 times a week
3. gradually increase the distance of your weekly long run and the speed of a shorter one (when you are stronger you might add intervals of some sort)
4. enjoy it

October gives you plenty of time so you can have a lovely spring and summer heading out into the wilds where you live

PaulF

« Reply #1491 on: 23 April, 2015, 01:17:09 pm »
Thanks, makes sense

Blazer

« Reply #1492 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:10:13 pm »
Hi PaulF,

I'd agree with sojournermike; try to run at least 3 times a week comprising interval (fast / slow reps), tempo (run constantly at 1/2 marathon pace or slightly quicker) and longer run at slower pace.

I followed a 18 week programme for the marathon but started at week 6 with a modest level of fitness (ie could run 6 miles without stopping) and comfortably ride a 100K audax so I think your main issue will be not to 'peak too soon' if the event is not until October.  On the schedule I followed, I reached 1/2 M distance at my slow run pace within 3 weeks (ie week 9 of the schedule).  I was running 4 or 5 times per week as I said from a general base level of fitness.  Perhaps a bit of muscle memory from running previously but not much.

I can PM the schedule for the marathon if that helps,

Enjoy,

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1493 on: 25 April, 2015, 05:53:45 pm »
Paul Martelletti, who lives near me and has done my local ParkRun, won Manchester Marathon last Sunday with 2h17. He's now going for a sub 2h30 London Marathon, but dressed as spiderman. Success will be a pointless world record, and any money raised (after paying Guinness fees for the record....) will go to Parkinson's UK. Details here: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/spidermanworldrecord

16:44 for spiderman at Mile End Park Run this morning as a test run (photo: https://flic.kr/p/s211k5), and over £600 now pledged. More info on Twitter #spidermanworldrecord.

Chris S

« Reply #1494 on: 25 April, 2015, 10:42:10 pm »
Any of you nutters doing the London Marathon tomorrow - Good Luck!  :thumbsup:

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1495 on: 26 April, 2015, 04:46:05 pm »
Adamski completed it in 2:44:11. Yay. he says he is now allowed to eat cake and drink gin again. YAY.

Trying to keep up with him via the DR etc was hard work ;)

He is now having an ice bath and squeeling like a small squeely thing.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1496 on: 26 April, 2015, 04:59:23 pm »
congratulations Adam, what an amazing result! only eight minutes apart from the legendary Paula :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1497 on: 29 April, 2015, 06:27:46 pm »
Adamski completed it in 2:44:11.

Plus that means Championship start for London 2016. Yay! (Well once the paperwork is done to join a club.)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1498 on: 29 April, 2015, 09:42:25 pm »
Adamski completed it in 2:44:11.

Plus that means Championship start for London 2016. Yay! (Well once the paperwork is done to join a club.)

Chapeau Adamski
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1499 on: 05 September, 2015, 12:46:24 pm »
The audax season is almost over, so it's time to get back to the running. My ParkRun this morning was hard work (but better than a fortnight ago when I was still recovering from PBP!). I now need something to train towards to motivate me, so I'll be entering Thames Meander ½ Marathon on 7th Nov.