Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 355791 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2850 on: 15 March, 2024, 12:43:42 am »
I think I'd usefully fill in the horrible bits of the Wet Midlands, so nobody else has to.

« Reply #2851 on: 15 March, 2024, 09:47:29 am »
I'm sure I'm not the only person who can contribute bits of East Lothian, but I may be more useful for bits of the Highlands usually accessible only on foot.

« Reply #2852 on: 15 March, 2024, 10:09:36 am »
I've possibly done some of the missing tiles north of Oxford, but my data still private.  I do have routes made to fill in gaps below Banbury.  Oxford area to Banbury return train  is <£8 to enable max riding in the area...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2853 on: 15 March, 2024, 10:12:39 pm »

Would be good to include the YACFers on this side of the water too. I'm curious how much of .NL Ivo, Zed43, and myself cover...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2854 on: 16 March, 2024, 06:28:01 am »
I’ve done some long rides in NL too (up to Dronten), including a tour round NL.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2855 on: 16 March, 2024, 07:04:44 am »

Would be good to include the YACFers on this side of the water too. I'm curious how much of .NL Ivo, Zed43, and myself cover...

J

If only your VV data was public...

« Reply #2856 on: 18 March, 2024, 07:13:13 am »
I know that it isn't quite what people were talking about but...

I got bored and downloaded the tiles of the top 10 Uk-based, non-private, YACF clusterers (Deano to Graeme).  This is what it looks like:

That white blob east of Oxford is Luton which seems understandable  ;)

Coo, that is impressive! I'm particularly impressed at filling in the Fens... My data is private too (I got fed up with local men I don't know asking to follow me and giving kudos). Otherwise I could contribute Luton.  ;D

The Luton-Dunstable old railway line is now a busway path and is rather nice! Thanks for the piccie Jon, that's excellent.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2857 on: 18 March, 2024, 07:55:52 am »
Coo, that is impressive! I'm particularly impressed at filling in the Fens... My data is private too (I got fed up with local men I don't know asking to follow me and giving kudos). Otherwise I could contribute Luton.  ;D

The Luton-Dunstable old railway line is now a busway path and is rather nice! Thanks for the piccie Jon, that's excellent.  :thumbsup:

There are different kinds of 'private'.  I suspect that you are talking about your Strava data whereas I need access to your VV data to create the map.  People seem to randomly set one, the other, or both to private.  You need to be a member of the YACF Strava 'club' to appear on the YACF map too!

« Reply #2858 on: 18 March, 2024, 08:10:31 am »
oh, I thought the VV data privacy settings were based on the Strava privacy settings. Thanks for the explanation, will have a look at that later.

« Reply #2859 on: 19 March, 2024, 10:35:11 am »
VeloViewer privacy settings do not respect your Strava privacy zones. Someone on another forum PMed me my address from my VeloViewer data when it was public (in a "this is what I have discovered from your public data, you might want to change that" manner, not a creepy manner). So my VV data is staying private, while my Strava data is public (I'm fortunate to never have had any issues with this).

« Reply #2860 on: 19 March, 2024, 11:03:15 am »
I'm naturally concerned about this as my data is public on VV but followers only on strava. 
I've just checked by looking at someone I follow on Strava and who's VV data is public.   Their rides on veloviewer are shown to start and stop at the boundary of their privacy zone, just as they do in Strava . 
Eddington: 114 Miles

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #2861 on: 19 March, 2024, 04:35:44 pm »
VeloViewer privacy settings do not respect your Strava privacy zones. Someone on another forum PMed me my address from my VeloViewer data when it was public (in a "this is what I have discovered from your public data, you might want to change that" manner, not a creepy manner). So my VV data is staying private, while my Strava data is public (I'm fortunate to never have had any issues with this).

Are we sure these aren't rides where one has visited home in the middle of a ride? Those are the only ones showing up for me - I don't think Strava censors those either

« Reply #2862 on: 21 March, 2024, 12:50:59 pm »
I've suggested Veloviewer add a "limited public explorer tiles" option where folk can share their tiles map only but not any of the routes used. But I appreciate that's a bit of a niche upgrade for their list.

« Reply #2863 on: 21 March, 2024, 01:51:22 pm »
I'm naturally concerned about this as my data is public on VV but followers only on strava. 
I've just checked by looking at someone I follow on Strava and who's VV data is public.   Their rides on veloviewer are shown to start and stop at the boundary of their privacy zone, just as they do in Strava .
I think you might be right, actually, having had a look at your Activities on VeloViewer. It's certainly harder to work out the more uploads there are...

« Reply #2864 on: 22 March, 2024, 09:30:52 am »
Random accident meant I got a new bike recently, and a nice break in the March weather opened up for a quick test run.

Back round the NE of Scotland again, as that was the only place with any sun. Usual mixture of mostly back roads, but with some off-roading thrown in some places too. Mostly a bit of a tile tidy up than real new ground, but some extras bits done. Fine and sunny the whole way, mostly a medium cross wind and not that warm, but good for the time of year.

Aberdeen-Rosehearty-Elgin-Elgin, finishing off with a train to Dyce and a day ride coastal before back to the ferry.

« Reply #2865 on: 22 March, 2024, 10:59:35 am »
Random accident meant I got a new bike recently, and a nice break in the March weather opened up for a quick test run.

Back round the NE of Scotland again, as that was the only place with any sun. Usual mixture of mostly back roads, but with some off-roading thrown in some places too. Mostly a bit of a tile tidy up than real new ground, but some extras bits done. Fine and sunny the whole way, mostly a medium cross wind and not that warm, but good for the time of year.

Aberdeen-Rosehearty-Elgin-Elgin, finishing off with a train to Dyce and a day ride coastal before back to the ferry.

Looks amazing! Did you get down to Crovie? That's where my family is originally from.

« Reply #2866 on: 22 March, 2024, 11:52:30 am »
No, the Crovie tile is still waiting for a visit. I stayed the night in Gardentown a few years back when my pals had a house rented, but didn't get along the coast that time either.

« Reply #2867 on: 22 March, 2024, 01:11:57 pm »
Stunning shots @carlosferreiro- ashamed to say  that I haven't made it that far North- the furthest I made it was Aberdeen SECC for the Brewdog AGM.  Safe to say I wasn't going any further after that :-)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2868 on: 25 March, 2024, 01:55:51 pm »
I upped my max square for the first time in years yesterday, to 36x36, with a 95km ride in Hampshire, Surrey, and (I think) Sussex, to the SE extremity of my square.

So that makes 35,064 tiles in total.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2869 on: 30 March, 2024, 06:35:45 pm »
..... a day ride coastal before back to the ferry....

Funny story time. I knew Trump's golf course was covering a couple of tiles, but thought I had found a way to sneak round the edges of that, down a derelict farm track.
Down the track I go, past some ruined buildings, nearly there. Ah, somebody has put a solid gate in the way! Well, only 100m to go, and I'd seen some big excavators and trucks through the trees, so probably just a bit of sand quarrying or something and I can easy nip down the side here a bit. The gorse at the side of the gate has been broken back where folk have been squeezing, past, so bike up on the back wheel and through we go all nice and low key....

Well you can see where this is going but it was still a huge surprise to me! Out I step, like an orange lycra Mr Benn, and straight into the gold plated golf course car park, next to the clubhouse!  :o
It's not a moment for hesitation, so on the bike, down the path for 70m, u turn, back through the gap, and away up the track as quick as possible  :P
Likely left a bit of confusion behind me but nobody had got round to doing anything  :D

And that's how I end up the only one with a couple of Aberdeen coastal tiles.......

« Reply #2870 on: 30 March, 2024, 07:04:24 pm »
I had an unsuccessful tiling trip trying to reach the missing tile in the Tay Estuary that was discussed a few pages ago.. Previous attempt was thwarted in summer by chest high nettles, so I vowed to return in winter. This time no nettles, but ended up being about 300m of reed bed to cross. I made it about 30m in, they were about 3m high and getting thicker.I then sunk into mud and thought that was enough , especially as noone knew where I was and I had to pick my daughter up. So picked another 5 tiles on the roads instead. I think the only way to get this tile is to hop on a kayak at Willowgate and take the outgoing tide.

« Reply #2871 on: 30 March, 2024, 07:09:44 pm »
Good to know those ones are not really on for a casual wander paddyirish, and that I can now put them out of mind  ;)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2872 on: 07 April, 2024, 03:43:24 pm »
Took the advantage of a socking great tailwind and light Sunday morning traffic to nick the tile that only has the A303 on it by Popham Services
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2873 on: 09 April, 2024, 10:40:40 pm »
83 new tiles from the Eden Valley 200 audax, total is now 10123. (a really nice route)

(square still a paltry 14, cluster = 779)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2874 on: 10 April, 2024, 07:29:42 am »
Took the advantage of a socking great tailwind and light Sunday morning traffic to nick the tile that only has the A303 on it by Popham Services

That sounds like the tile which can also be bagged by going to the western extremity of the grounds of Basingstoke crematorium.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur