Author Topic: The Guardian: "Why we need more women on two wheels"  (Read 3791 times)

The Guardian: "Why we need more women on two wheels"
« on: 06 April, 2009, 01:49:34 pm »
I'm surprised that this little article in today's Guardian hasn't shown up here as yet (apologies if it has). The writer can't seem to make her mind up whether she's writing a fashion article, a news story, or a piece advocating more cycling by women, but it's kicked off some interesting comments.

ed_o_brain

Re: The Guardian: "Why we need more women on two wheels"
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2009, 01:56:32 pm »
The comments seem to show most the respondents are hi-viz fetishists.

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:06:23 pm »
And last month, the London Cycling Campaign organised Birds on Bikes, a night-time ride taking in locations linked with the achievements of women in the capital.

Me and a mate had the idea of starting a website called Birds on Bikes about 5 years ago!! B'stards.

To be fair the content was going to be... Well, you know  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:07:16 pm »
But despite all this oestrogen-fuelled activity, only a minority of women cycle. According to new research from Sustrans, 79% of British women do not cycle at all even though 43% have access to a bike.

What an utterly useless statistic to quote.  How man British men do not cycle?  This seems to be some sort of attempt to paint cycling or not cycling as a gender related endeavour, but giving a figure for what percentage of women cycle, and not giving any numbers for men seems pointless.  I know a lot of men who own bikes, normally rusting away quietly in their garages or sheds, so most of them don't cycle.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:22:18 pm »
I find this slightly depressing - of all the reasons they could find as to why so few women cycle, they've decided it's because there aren't enough pretty clothes.  Mmm, that's right, women really are that vacuous!

I only hope Topshop's new range includes nail-guards, cos I wouldn't want to break a nail cycling now, would I?

*skips off to admire the daffodils and do my hair*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:42:35 pm »
Sexist!  Are you suggesting only girls can wear nice ladies clothing to ride bicycles?  Ask Hummers - she'll tell you!
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:45:55 pm »
Oh, but you big, rugged masculine types don't mind what you wear, do you?  That Y chromosome just makes you far too sensible to stoop to the levels of our little vanities!

*flutters eyelashes*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:49:01 pm »
Gosh, what long words for a gurl!
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:50:07 pm »
That appears to be not much more than a slightly rehashed press release. Very lazy journalism. TopShop must be very happy with it.

annie

« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:51:33 pm »
It doesn't actually say why we need more women on two wheels though, or am I missing something?

Topshop?  Forgive me but I actually prefer the greasy fingernailed environment to the alternatives they suggest. ???

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:54:27 pm »
That appears to be not much more than a slightly rehashed press release. Very lazy journalism. TopShop must be very happy with it.

Actually, that was precisely my thought.  After I'd opened G2 and seen the headline, I thought 'Cool', but then scanned down and realised it was a puff for ruddy Top Shop! :o

Still, I don't mind.  If the fashion victims need pretty clothes to get on a bike, then at least they are riding, just like the fashion victim guys who get something gadgety, or go all fakenger with Rapha.  At least they are riding :)
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #11 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:56:14 pm »
Topshop gives me Teh Fear.  I had a panic attack in the giant Oxford Street one about eight years ago and haven't been back since.  

However, I don't think we're quite their target audience.

« Reply #12 on: 06 April, 2009, 03:02:50 pm »
Last time I was in there I stood in front of the changing room mirror in some ruffly blue number that made me look like a sinister, aged, very large doll and suddenly wondered WTF I was doing there. Their sizes range doesn't seem to extend past a ten, IIRC, and queuing with 300 stick thin fourteen year olds made me feel like a sad old wreck.

I still haven't quite shaken the experience  ;D

That said, I might try some of their kit if it's available online so I don't have to do the dressing room trauma again. So the rehashed press release has clearly done its job.  ::-)

bikenerd

« Reply #13 on: 06 April, 2009, 03:09:57 pm »
I buy quite a few basics from Topman.  T-shirts, v-necked jumpers, that kind of thing.
Mrs Nerd now comes with me into the men's department rather than look in the ladies dept. as the clothes and clientèle in there give her the fear.

Anyway, it is easy for men to look either casual on a bike: 3/4 trousers or shorts, short sleeve shirt or like a racer / MTBer / courier.
Do ladies feel the same?  Or are 3/4 length trews and a shirt blouse a fashion faux-pas?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #14 on: 06 April, 2009, 03:14:19 pm »
Last time I was in there I stood in front of the changing room mirror in some ruffly blue number that made me look like a sinister, aged, very large doll and suddenly wondered WTF I was doing there. Their sizes range doesn't seem to extend past a ten, IIRC, and queuing with 300 stick thin fourteen year olds made me feel like a sad old wreck.

This is because they only stock clothes in a children's "age 13" size.  Although they reckon they have a variety of sizes, the measurements in the shoulders, bust and hips are exactly the same, and the only difference between a Topshop size 10 and a Topshop size 16 is more room in the tummy.

So your choices are:

Size 6  (translation:  aged 13 and not hit puberty)

Size 8 (translation:  aged 13 and not eating)

Size 10 (translation:  aged 13)

Size 12 (translation:  aged 13 and hit puberty last week)

Size 14 (translation:  aged 13 and a childhood obesity crisis)

Size 16 (translation:  aged 13 and heavily pregnant)

None of these do me any favours...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 06 April, 2009, 03:31:52 pm »
Here in Brent's northernmost exremity, women just do not cycle.
I claim to be Stag Lane's last regular woman cyclist and in the 5 years since I've stopped cycling, very few women on two wheels have passed. I spend ages watching the traffic and I just don't see women. There are few men but there are some.
Visiting lady friends do come by bike.
Local driving style is a deterrent and I'm sure women (and men too) feel they won't get courtesy on the road if they're not in a car.
I don't think clothing is an issue though.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #16 on: 06 April, 2009, 03:36:05 pm »
I like Duffy's pink bike.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #17 on: 10 April, 2009, 10:01:01 am »

I still haven't quite shaken the experience  ;D

Excellent stuff  ;D

H

« Reply #18 on: 10 April, 2009, 10:15:31 am »
I like the idea of more women on cycles.  I really enjoy riding behind them. 
Catherine immediately springs to mind.
Catherine of the Dun Run - the last great Dun Run for me.
Roger and Rae will back me up on this.  They too enjoyed riding behind Catherine from Paree.

« Reply #19 on: 10 April, 2009, 05:09:56 pm »
I like the idea of more women on cycles.  I really enjoy riding behind them. 
Who doesn't?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #20 on: 10 April, 2009, 06:06:15 pm »
I like Duffy's pink bike.
Looks a bit short on the stopping front. Do you suppose it's a fixie?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #21 on: 10 April, 2009, 07:42:08 pm »
Probably. Girls can't do gears. They're too complicated for our feeble brains.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.