Author Topic: Kayaking - what to wear?  (Read 14348 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Kayaking - what to wear?
« on: 04 April, 2008, 12:14:21 pm »
Halp!

I'm going kayaking for the first time tomorrow.  What should I wear?  Warm 'n' thick or skinny 'n' wicky?  Boots or bare feet? 

Gonna die so bad...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Kayaking - what to wear?
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2008, 12:35:37 pm »
How likely are you to fall in? Is the water flat or still?

I'd personally go for a wetsuit - preferably a long john if you can get one - and windsurf boots.

Even if you do stay dry your lower body won't be doing much, and most kayaks leak so you'll probably want to keep your lower half warm.

When I was competing I went for the warm and wicky, but then I had a dry top, well sealed boat and spray deck but as a beginner I used a wetsuit

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2008, 12:36:45 pm »
Skin's waterproof - mind you don't stick to the seat, though!  :o

World Naked Kayak Paddle....  :-\
Getting there...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2008, 12:40:13 pm »
We spent 4 days canoeing down the Mary River over Easter.  I wore Teva sandals, togs and t-shirt.  Got sunburnt though, despite 30+ sunscreen...  ;)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2008, 12:42:57 pm »
Wetsuit and neoprene booties, or lacking those, old trainers. The water will be bloody cold this time of year. You might want a windproof top as well. Plus a h*lm*t. Oh yes, and gloves if you still want to feel your hands after an hour or so.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2008, 12:52:02 pm »
Surf suit and trainers then!  And a fleecy hat, gloves, and utter dread.  It's flat (Exe canal and quay) but I'm incompetent!
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

PaulF

« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2008, 01:05:34 pm »
Surf suit and trainers then!  And a fleecy hat, gloves, and utter dread.  It's flat (Exe canal and quay) but I'm incompetent!

That's where I learned! Hint don't go into the pub by the lock - The Cow (?) - in a dripping wetsuit and expect to be served :)

EDIT I think it may have actually been the Cowley Bridge

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2008, 01:08:21 pm »
I was gonna sit outside at the Double Locks and send in for chips and a swift half instead :D

PaulF

« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2008, 01:09:30 pm »
I was gonna sit outside at the Double Locks and send in for chips and a swift half instead :D

That's OK - they're canoeist friendly there. Or were 23 years ago....

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2008, 01:11:48 pm »
It's flat (Exe canal and quay)

Not many rocks to hit your head on then.

You could let me know whether they're still any good. I heard they changed hands a while ago. (Happy memories of someone's 40th and sleeping on the lawn.)

Tim

« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2008, 03:31:51 pm »
If the water is flat (and you are not going to fall in) you might as well wear the same sort of layers as you would do to go running. Possibly with a greater weighting towards carrying a waterproof if there's a breeze as you'll end up with spray from the boat and blades.

If you're going to get wet (by design or by accident) then best answer - dry suit, after that comes wet suit, after that comes carry a towel and change of clothes in a waterproof bag.

« Reply #11 on: 04 April, 2008, 04:49:27 pm »
If the water is flat (and you are not going to fall in) you might as well wear the same sort of layers as you would do to go running. Possibly with a greater weighting towards carrying a waterproof if there's a breeze as you'll end up with spray from the boat and blades.

If you're going to get wet (by design or by accident) then best answer - dry suit, after that comes wet suit, after that comes carry a towel and change of clothes in a waterproof bag.

I've never known anyone wear a dry suit in a kayak. Apart from anything else it would be very unpleasant having a pee (as one does when in a canoe for a long time).

« Reply #12 on: 04 April, 2008, 06:21:04 pm »
I've never known anyone wear a dry suit in a kayak. Apart from anything else it would be very unpleasant having a pee (as one does when in a canoe for a long time).
The water temperature at this time of year can be bloody cold, I'm will be out next week in a dry suit it is for surface sports and not a diving one.
As for going for a pee you can get a one with a pee zip or have one fitted at about £65, or a p-valve for the same price which consist of a valve, tubing and a condom catheter,or you can have a cheaper option is a nappy :o I have used the latter, but going for a pee zip next winter

Elleigh

« Reply #13 on: 04 April, 2008, 07:55:39 pm »
I'm going kayaking too (but not with Andy ;-) )

I was planning to wear my cycling water proof jacket, lycra running trackies and a pair of old pumps.  Is that adequate

(Sorry to gatecrash your thread Andy)

Rapples

« Reply #14 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:15:47 pm »
I'm going kayaking too (but not with Andy ;-) )

I was planning to wear my cycling water proof jacket, lycra running trackies and a pair of old pumps.  Is that adequate

(Sorry to gatecrash your thread Andy)

Just remember the first rule of "man" overboard

Don't fall overboard ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #15 on: 04 April, 2008, 10:17:37 pm »

That's OK - they're canoeist friendly there. Or were 23 years ago....

LOL, about the same time I was commonly in there.  I remember watching canoeists get their canoe out of the canal, walk around the lock, and put it back in the other side.  Seems a bit of a cheat, they should have gone through the lock properly! ;D

It all changed when they went all luxurious, and got rid of the outside loos, and probably stopped the dogs wandering in and out of the kitchen.

Sorry, getting a bit OT, I'll shut up now.
Actually, it is rocket science.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #16 on: 04 April, 2008, 10:49:05 pm »
I started this time last year.  It was sunny but cold, and we did capsize drill.  It was cold.

I had surface sport wetsuit, neoprene booties (note to self, must buy a pair of proper kayaking shoes), basic semi-dry cag top and buoyancy aid.  The buoyancy aid will afford some comfort to your chest and back, as the foam is just another insulating layer.  I'm so-so about the gloves, tried it with and without, but we had good weather early last year, so I didn't really use them until the autumn - I used my Answer racing gloves, which don't mind a bit of water, and they were fine.  When you're moving you'll be warm.  If you're wet, or sitting around for a long time, you'll start to get cold.

What kind of kayak?  short=bouncy and unstable, long=more stable/manageable if you're a novice.  If somebody points you at a Pyranha G3 I bet you'll be fine.  I don't think you'd be happy in an InaZone, which is where I started.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 04 April, 2008, 10:56:08 pm »
Just give me a RIB and I'll be peachy...

I am gonna get so bloody wet tomorrow! :o

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #18 on: 04 April, 2008, 10:57:38 pm »
Is it a have-a-go day, or is someone actually teaching?
L
Windcheetah No. 176

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #19 on: 05 April, 2008, 08:23:21 pm »
Teaching?  Heh.

We just hired some.  I thought, "it can't be that hard" and Chuffy thought, "Andy knows what he's doing, he's done it before and will show me."  What a shower!

We had those unsinkable foamy sit-upon jobs.  The ones with HOLES IN THE BOTTOM which was, as you can tell, a bit startling.  And no effort at any sort of keely thing, so the slightest incompetence led to graceful pirouettes across the quay. 

The swans dodged.

After a while we sort of got it and reached a pub where we revised our distance goal and had cider. :thumbsup:

After two hours, we reached the permanently-moored Helsinki (arguments about whether she's a dredger, waterways patrol boat or torpedo boat ensued).  Then we turned around and the wind hit us.

Oh man.

The whole way back was like riding uphill in the big ring.  Tell you what though: my stroke got a hell of a lot better.  Feet made sense, rhythm was found, and it was a soggy but determined muscle-fest to graunch back up to the quay. 

I don't think Chuffy will be doing that again.  I might be tempted - in a location I don't know so well, because the views were meh when you run and ride the towpath regularly.  With a boat with a keel! ;D

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #20 on: 05 April, 2008, 09:34:08 pm »
Ah, DIY.  ;D  Last year I was reminded how unfit I was by two days on the water.

Sit-on-tops are strange, if 'unsinkable.'  Keels?  Even rudders aren't de rigeur
I've been thinking of doing a proper course on the sea, with hired sea kayaks.  There are a few companies who do such things, and up here Anglesey's frequently the venue, as it's considered to have both the views and the gnarly water.  Plus lots of rocks.  Sharp ones.

You live in one of the popular areas for sea kayaking, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a course if you want to try a 'proper' boat.
L
Windcheetah No. 176

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 05 April, 2008, 09:40:30 pm »
I am freezing up here.  Gonna be stiff as a board tomorrow, and not just because of the apres bateau pub barmaid's lovely biceps ;) 

Keels - I meant more a defined midline, not yer actual keely keel.  But I don't know what I'm talking about so I'll shaddap :D

I wonder how Elleigh got on?

Elleigh, how'd you get on?

Elleigh

« Reply #22 on: 05 April, 2008, 09:54:31 pm »
I am freezing up here.  Gonna be stiff as a board tomorrow, and not just because of the apres bateau pub barmaid's lovely biceps ;) 

Keels - I meant more a defined midline, not yer actual keely keel.  But I don't know what I'm talking about so I'll shaddap :D

I wonder how Elleigh got on?

Elleigh, how'd you get on?

I haven't gone yet.  I'm going for a weekend in a couple of weeks with my friend Linz. 

Any tips gratefully received; we are both novices.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #23 on: 05 April, 2008, 10:10:33 pm »
Pack a complete change of clothes in a waterproof bag and change immediately you finish.   :thumbsup:

Elleigh

« Reply #24 on: 05 April, 2008, 10:12:09 pm »
Pack a complete change of clothes in a waterproof bag and change immediately you finish.   :thumbsup:

Thanks; will do.  :)