Author Topic: Tewdric Minor Tests Prototype Islabike!  (Read 1890 times)

Tewdric Minor Tests Prototype Islabike!
« on: 28 December, 2016, 04:32:56 pm »
Remember this guy?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=29089.msg532450#msg532450

Well in late November he had the honour of being the first child to test ride the new prototype Islabike. 

If you check out today's BBC News on iPlayer it features at about the 10 minute point. 

The new bike is a fantastic concept as it's going to be leased rather than sold.  When your child grows out of it you give it back and get the next size up.  The bike itself is designed to last 50 years and has enclosed hub gears and brakes.  Better for Islabikes too, of course, as their existing bikes last seemingly forever and get sold on for nearly the new price once outgrown..

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Tewdric Minor Tests Prototype Islabike!
« Reply #1 on: 28 December, 2016, 05:22:31 pm »
Brilliant - you really can't beat Islabikes if you're prepared to stump up the money to start with - my rule of thumb is that you'll get at least 70% of your money back whether you buy new or s/h.

I have invested in a "private fleet" of Islabikes for our 4 grandchildren that range from nearly 8 down to 7 months ... a Rothan balance bike, 2 off 16" wheel, 1 off 20" wheel, 1 off 24" wheel ... and for the future growth 1 off 26" wheel and 1 off 700c (the latter 2 being small frames)

The lease concept is a great business model, although it's already been copied by a couple of other manufacturers of children's bikes.

Rob

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2016, 05:49:05 pm »
That's great!  :thumbsup:
But look at Tomos.  :D 

In the absence of any sign of me ever reaching grandfatherhood via the traditional route,  I think my best hope is to wait for one of the forum babies to provide me with virtual status.
Might be a few years yet, mind.  Even the ones from ACF and even Cake Stop.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2016, 06:29:17 pm »
unrelated directly to this thread, but a confirmation of the fact that Islabikes is a "proper" cyclist based company- as if we had doubts!

I rode a Shropshire audax some years ago, and was told my late start meant I could ride in the "Isla group". I did not know who Isla was, but as we rode very quickly down a very broken and bumpy road, she sat up and hands free proceeded to peel and eat a banana whilst the rest of us were white knuckled trying to stay on the road and it became clear we were riding with someone special!

« Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2016, 07:09:41 pm »
Rode with her as part of Stourbridge Cycling Club.

Extremely talented off-road rider (cyclo-cross) and winner of 3 Peaks Cross race many times. Renown for her bike handling skills.

Used to work for Halfords before setting-up herself.

Whole family into cross riding.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 28 December, 2016, 09:38:46 pm »
That's great!  :thumbsup:
But look at Tomos.  :D 

In the absence of any sign of me ever reaching grandfatherhood via the traditional route,  I think my best hope is to wait for one of the forum babies to provide me with virtual status.
Might be a few years yet, mind.  Even the ones from ACF and even Cake Stop.

Seeing as it's you Basil you can adopt one of ours as a "virtual grandchild" (best bet is the 8 year old as he's a keen cyclist already) . . . just make sure you keep a bag of Werther's Originals with you and send him a substantial postal order at Christmas & birthdays  :)

Rob

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 28 December, 2016, 11:14:10 pm »
No.  Not Worthers Originals.  They only appeared in the UK in the 80s.  They're not original anything.  </grumble>
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2016, 05:01:23 pm »
Great stuff. The lease concept could be a good idea for kids bikes I think it's a good idea to keep children's bikes relatively simple, as that design looks to be. And as for Tomos, lucky boy!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.