Author Topic: Samsung android tab issue  (Read 1306 times)

Samsung android tab issue
« on: 11 December, 2017, 03:10:55 pm »
Hi nice folks

Does this mean anything to anyone?

I have a slightly aging Samsung Tab 3 10.1 inch.

Runs Android 4.4.2 - Samsung won't update it beyond that but no matter - that is not an issue.

Battery has of course declined in power over time but the unit is far from exhausted and fine for in house use (I have a smaller tab for out of house use) and delivers over 4 hours of use before it needs to be recharged.

BUT

recently had serious problems. It very often won't start up even though I know it has plenty of charge.

When in this state plugging it in doesn't produce the on screen charging symbol either.

It can take 20 to 30 goes to get it to start - usually by pressing the power key and the UP volume key, which presents me with this list of recovery options.

Reboot system now
Apply update from ADB
Apply update from external storage
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Apply update from cache

I choose the first and it boots up and all is fine.

And I can use it for hours - no sudden shut-downs or apparent power problems.

Until after closing it down it will then refuse to start next time or the time after that or the time after that.

Am mystified.

I charge it using the original charger and lead or a quality Anker smart charger and anker lead.

It doesn't seem to be a power problem as such - surely if it were, a loose connection or something, it would quite often just shut down in use?

This appears, from googling, to be quite a common issue.

Anyone got any clues?

Can android become corrupted in some way?

Will a factory reset solve this?

I have at least, during one of its brief functioning periods, managed to get all the important stuff off it and on to Google Drive.

Over to you ...

Re: Samsung android tab issue
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:10:06 pm »
So, to confirm the tablet sometimes fails to power up after it's been powered down and not after it's been put into standby?

How long is the tablet staying charged for when left on standby without being used?
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2017, 11:08:57 am »
Thanks for the reply bolt.

>>So, to confirm the tablet sometimes fails to power up after it's been powered down and not after it's been put into standby?

By standby I assume you mean when the screen turns off (as the unit has hit the sleep time I have selected) and I have to lightly touch the on button to revive the unit and retap the password. As long as the thing has booted up and there is enough charge left it seems to have no trouble coming back to life from this sleep state. Yes it sometimes, well in truth now virtually always, refuses to power up once shut down.

>>How long is the tablet staying charged for when left on standby without being used?
I don't leave it in what I understand you to mean standby for very long. I never have. If I am not using it for some time I switch it off.

Hope this helps.

And to clarify - when it won't boot neither will it show any on-screen signs of charging.

All very frustrating/annoying - convinces me that there is little point paying much for these things.

« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2017, 08:35:33 pm »
I'd be interested to see how long it runs on standby.  I have a Samsung Tab of a similar vintage which I only use occasionally but the battery lasts around 5-7 days on standby between charges.  There shouldn't be a need to power off if you are using the tablet regularly as the power consumption in standby is fairly negligible and leaving it on standby gives the OS a chance to do its "housekeeping" tasks.  If you are finding the battery drains quickly on standby then I'd say the battery is on its way out, but I would also check the battery usage in settings to make sure there isn't an app that's draining the battery excessively.

If you find all the above is in order I'd try a factory reset, if you have everything backed up the restore should be fairly painless.

Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2017, 08:47:38 pm »
Will try a reset if i can get it to switch on! Until then, no dice. Is it possible for the operating system to get corrupted and so prevent a turn on and signs of charging? Or even actual charging?

rr

« Reply #5 on: 13 December, 2017, 09:39:57 pm »
Will try a reset if i can get it to switch on! Until then, no dice. Is it possible for the operating system to get corrupted and so prevent a turn on and signs of charging? Or even actual charging?
Happened to my phone

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:25:45 am »
Happened to my phone

you mean the operating system got corrupted?

If so did you manage to sort it?

and how?

rr

« Reply #7 on: 14 December, 2017, 09:30:02 am »
Happened to my phone

you mean the operating system got corrupted?

If so did you manage to sort it?

and how?
Yes, sent it to Motorola and they reinstalled the software, it's fine now, but before it wouldn't charge or even recognise any charger.