Author Topic: Windows Live Mail and ISP  (Read 1942 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
Windows Live Mail and ISP
« on: 11 April, 2023, 01:41:33 pm »
I use Windows Live Mail to receive emails but because our ISP is not TalkTalk it won't allow outgoing emails from my account and I have to use their webmail to send out. I can do both no problem using Gmail on my phone (although cannot access Inbox subfolders even though can send email there) but much prefer the Outlooky feel of Live Mail on my desktop;

is there a way round it? we are with BT as ISP and I don't want to change my talktalk / tiscali personal email

Re: Windows Live Mail and ISP
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2023, 02:39:24 pm »
I use Windows Live Mail to receive emails but because our ISP is not TalkTalk it won't allow outgoing emails from my account and I have to use their webmail to send out. I can do both no problem using Gmail on my phone (although cannot access Inbox subfolders even though can send email there) but much prefer the Outlooky feel of Live Mail on my desktop;

is there a way round it? we are with BT as ISP and I don't want to change my talktalk / tiscali personal email

Short answer no you can't.

The bit after the @ in your email address is the domain name part of the email address and if its TalkTalk then then when people try and send you an email the sending computer will look up the  DNS MX record for talktalk.com (if your email is someone@talktalk.com) and get given the ip address of a talktalk mail server and send the email there. To read your email you either use the TalkTalk web email client or access it from a desktop client etc vi imap or pop3. TalkTalk are totally within their rights to restrict any of these access methods to IP addresses on their own network and since you arent with TalkTalk anymore .... In practice they usually allow access to the Web Based front end from anywhere due to people needing access from mobile phones whilst roaming or on other peoples WiFi.
When sending email it needs to go via the domains email server or it will be rejected by the receiving email server (or should be) to avoid people just spamming with email from that domain. ISPs usually prevent you from sending mail via their Email servers unless you are on their network.

Since you aren't paying TalkTalk for any service you dont really have any right or expectation to use their email service.

If you want email that's independent of ISP then you need either to run your own email server and buy your own domain or use an independent email service such as Google or Fastmail (my preferred option).

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2023, 03:20:00 pm »
Thanks;

Actually I am still paying talktalk for ISP but don't live at that address any more. I am entitled to use a talktalk email as part of that service.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2023, 04:54:48 pm »
I don't know about TalkTalk, but an ISP may allow you to use their SMTP relay from outside their network if you enable authentication.  Otherwise, find your own SMTP relay with no such constraints.  Note that if you (and in this instance, 'you' would be whoever is responsible for TalkTalk's DNS servers) don't get the SPF right, it may cause your messages to be rejected as spam.

Ultimately, this is why you shouldn't use your ISP's email service as your email address.  It's not 1994 any more.  I suggest you start working on migrating your email to a domain you control (even if you just set that up to forward everything to TalkTalk), so it's less painful when TalkTalk go bust or stop providing the service.

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2023, 05:15:06 pm »
Thanks;

Actually I am still paying talktalk for ISP but don't live at that address any more. I am entitled to use a talktalk email as part of that service.

Probably still won't allow relaying from off their network.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2023, 05:50:42 pm »
Have you tried the talk talk settings in your talk talk email account setup in Windows Live Mail?

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Email-settings-to-access-TalkTalk-emails/ta-p/2204399

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Setting-up-Email-in-Windows-mail/ta-p/2894287

Can’t imagine they restrict access if not on their broadband network, else it wouldn’t work on your phone when out and about on 4g/5g etc.

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2023, 11:36:25 pm »
I don't know about TalkTalk, but an ISP may allow you to use their SMTP relay from outside their network if you enable authentication. 

Yes, I had the same problem (BT pipe, Easyspace outbound mail server). Enabling authentication for outbound emails fixed it.