Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 157047 times)

Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #725 on: 28 January, 2023, 07:19:04 pm »
When I had a birdy folder it tended to shimmy due to worn-out pivots in the front suspension assembly. That was years ago though  :)
the slower you go the more you see

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #726 on: 29 January, 2023, 07:32:51 am »
I don’t think these fork pivots are worn out. There is no play and I doubt the bike had been ridden more than a few hundred kilometres before I rode it, despite being over a decade old.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #727 on: 29 January, 2023, 08:41:13 pm »
What with the weekly shop yesterday,  to church this morning. From church to drop youngest at a party. Back to church and then after church to get youngest monkey managed around 15km this weekend without getting out for a "ride"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #728 on: 30 January, 2023, 05:00:37 pm »
Trailer mission to Mr Sainsbury's Emporium of Everything Except Eggs was complicated by a proliferation of immobile motor vehicles.

This turned out to be due to construction workers associated with the Precision Health Technologies Accelerator™ digging up the shared-use bollocks, which neatly scuppered my plan of sailing past the traffic jam at a heady 8mph.  The diversion involved waiting for the man in hi-vis countermanding the instructions from the (presumably malfunctioning) temporary traffic lights to give the nod, and then proceeding up the bypass towards the wall-o-death roundabout with nothing but a couple of slightly faster[1] displaced cyclists for company before teh men in hi-vis released the hoardes of frustrated motorists.

For the return trip, I opted to simplify the required manoeuvres by eschewing the cyclepath and performing a right turn into the gridlock on the wall-o-death roundabout.  This took ages, too, but not as long as it would have done in a car.

At least it wasn't properly cold, for a change.

[1] One was electrified, the other just wasn't hauling a trailer on Marathon Winters.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #729 on: 10 February, 2023, 12:31:15 pm »
Just back from a 6-7 km round trip to our local farm shop for veg; just thinking on the way back that my panniers have probably done more miles loaded with veg than with touring kit. Which means I need to do more touring, rather than eat less veg...

« Reply #730 on: 11 February, 2023, 10:37:20 am »
On Wednesday this week I managed 2 miles or 3.2km cycling to the local delivery office to pick up a small parcel containing a couple of cassettes. A small increment in the Elan’s working life.

« Reply #731 on: 15 March, 2023, 04:29:10 pm »
As I rode to lidl this week on the wife's bike as has the trailer bracket a couple of thoughts crossed my mind. One was I need to give her bike a service and point her front light up. More profound (maybe) was due to me running lots at the moment I'm only cycling for utility, often grab her bike due to trailer or it being nearest to shed door. I think I may have cycled more miles on her bike this year then I have on my own this year

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #732 on: 22 May, 2023, 09:45:10 am »
Both utility and pleasure in one journey: yesterday I cycled round the BS5 Art Trail. The riding wasn't for riding's sake, so it was utility. But it wasn't exactly a utility trip. Though I did buy my new favourite handmade tea mug for a mere tenner, so that makes it a shopping trip! Anyway, cycling was a good way to get to the first venue, right by the cycle path (I wanted to start there cos a friend was exhibiting at that venue) but in fact walking would have been handier for the rest – easier to map read for finding the way through the griddy maze of streets.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #733 on: 25 May, 2023, 09:19:33 am »
Last night’s utilitarian adventure was a 5 mile round trip on the Circe Helios Cargo, (not currently a tandem), scavenging logs left behind by the folks cutting down trees near my work.

Despite not looking like such a big haul once lashed down on the rack I don’t believe I’ve ever had so much weight on the bike, extreme care was taken over the speed humps.

« Reply #734 on: 01 June, 2023, 09:58:21 am »
A 42 mile round trip to Bedford for a doc's appt, as smileymrs and smileykids are away with the car. The grey clag didn't clear as promised, and it was into the teeth of a bitter noreasterly, so it wasn't a lovely evening's ride. It reminded me that there's a reason I don't normally go out during rush hour. My intentions of keeping heart rate relatively low were tested by the close passes, speeding etc.
But I actually enjoyed the riding for the first time in ages, particularly on the way home, with no timings to keep - possibly enhanced by the tailwind, but the average speed was noticeably higher than for a very long time.

« Reply #735 on: 11 June, 2023, 07:43:16 am »
A beautiful sunny and not yet hot ride to and from the allotment to give it a soak before it gets too hot. Being pre 7am on a Sunday roads were blissfully quiet

Did have an odd contraption overtake me. Was an e something but couldn't tell you if was a bike, scooter or neither as the hoodlum on it was crouched over it for extra speed or which was plenty. At least double my probably 15mph. Only heard it from tyre noise of which again was plenty as back tyre was probably as wide as my old 125 motorbike

Rest of the ride was lovely and after soaking allotment headed home. Thankfully I was paying attention as was passing a junction and was obvious the driver wasn't looking at junction but up road to right so I put in a spurt to get clear before she pulled out and then saw me

Was also glad someone had put about the tree jizz on the roads as thought had a puncture as tyre noise went up suddenly but guess weeks without rain means the roads are covered in the stuff

« Reply #736 on: 11 June, 2023, 07:53:27 pm »
This years cycling so far has played second fiddle to running so purely utilitarian. After allotment mentioned above did church ans back this morning. Then round my brothers to borrow a pump for paddling pool, which wasn't in garden as expected so back home and then back to brothers an hour or so later

This worked out well for the guy cycling with his daughter who caught my eye because had bike layed down and attempting fettle. Swung round and asked if needed any help, which did as had no tools and on first ride since having his bike serviced the cable had pulled out the rear derailleur suggesting it hadn't been done up. Soon fixed as carry an folding Allen key set

Reckon clocked up over 20km today just using bike for errands

« Reply #737 on: 12 June, 2023, 10:51:22 am »
I took the bike to get some cheese on Saturday and went to the Post Office on Friday.

« Reply #738 on: 23 June, 2023, 11:48:39 am »
Trip to the new-ish local Aldi.  Probably heaviest shop load to date.  Old panniers a decent size - new lease of life, though they'd probably tell me they preferred cycle touring.  Let's see how long they last. 

PXL_saracen226 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #739 on: 23 June, 2023, 03:40:34 pm »
Trip to the new-ish local Aldi.  Probably heaviest shop load to date.  Old panniers a decent size - new lease of life, though they'd probably tell me they preferred cycle touring.  Let's see how long they last. 

PXL_saracen226 by ao, on Flickr
Bloody ungrateful cyclists, you install a nice row of bike racks (pretty ones too) and they go and lean their bikes against the wall!

« Reply #740 on: 23 June, 2023, 08:47:38 pm »
Just for photographic purposes  ;)  definitely ubolted on to a sheffield.   :)  Not gonna lie - was only bike in the stands.  There was this interesting character nearby though...

PXL_M-APB by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #741 on: 24 July, 2023, 04:39:16 pm »
Got back in from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles just in time to not get rained on :thumbsup:

Also managed to avoid the conical turd that some specimen of the local fauna has left next to the bins with both shoes and tyres  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #742 on: 09 August, 2023, 08:30:42 am »
8 miles out to one of the villages to collect the car from where smileywife had left it to walk home. It's a beautiful autumn morning out there.

ian

« Reply #743 on: 12 August, 2023, 09:38:23 pm »
Took the first ride in what must be a year or so, to buy lunch (souvlaki, if you must) as my wife is doing her girls-who-do-theatre thing. Took a bit of time to rid the Brompton of curious garage fungus, pump up the tyres, make sure the wheels spin, and exorcise the cobwebs. Then longer to find the little seat pack for my phone. Off I went. Should have probably tested the brakes before the steep hill at the bottom of the drive, but fate, I dare you. Had to pedal fast for the train (thanks ASLEF for the hourly service). Took a few moments to remember how the gears worked, but they did work, which was nice for me, probably less so for any lingering spiders. Took a bit longer at the station to remember how the fold worked. Be gentle, I was at a beer festival yesterday evening. Ah, little lever, that's where you are. Another spider.

I opted not to go all the way to Greece for my souvlaki, but it took in 60 km. The gods, as is their will, arranged a nostalgic headwind for the homeward league. I swallowed a mouth of finest Wandle midges. It's the terroir, I tell you. The souvlaki on the other hand wasn't that great, I should have gone to the shawarma place, but the garlic sauce makes me burp, another unnecessary source of headwind.

I had to pedal hard again to get the hourly train home from East Croydon, which worked out fine, and I'm sure a karma I'll have to repay. I was wondering if I'd make it back up the hill to the driveway, but I still got it (to be fair, I do use the exercise bike once a week). My wrists though, oh my wrists. I feel like I've got wankers block. There's not a single road or path in London that isn't templated on the far side of the moon. Beer is god's anaesthetic.

« Reply #744 on: 20 August, 2023, 08:42:29 am »
As don't do pictures I'll pop this here

The Family has been away for a fortnight and we only have one car so apart from work (company van) my transports been my bike

As usual should have clocked it but racked up a fair mileage with trips to allotment, shops, to people's houses

Yesterday spotted a straw bale that had come off a trailer and split. This morning grabbed the cycle trailer (and the wife's bike as has the hitch) and went and piled a load onto the bike.

Did get a few double takes and funny looks from the mini peletons who passed me

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #745 on: 21 August, 2023, 01:24:27 am »
Filled the trailer full of a combination of expensive electronics, bastard heavy cable reel, battery packs, deathdaptors, FRIKKIN LAZERS screwed to assorted manky bits of wood from ye shedde, and so on.  Hitched it to barakta's trike and lead her to the less popular flat bit of the local park, taking care to point out any obstructions that might result in her flipping the trailer, which on this occasion she didn't.

Where we spent an hour or so getting gnarly with the gravel, squinting at invisible[1] laser beams and performing advanced feats of cable management in the interests of software testing.

Having concluded that the software is at least as reliable[2] as the beam sensors (which I'm hoping we won't need to use anyway), and that 20mph is far too fast for gravelly corners onna upwrong, we packed it all up and came home, where we proceeded to spend a further two hours cursing dog owners and cleaning shit out of awkward parts of the trike.   >:(

[1] Don't have protanopia, it makes lasers a lot less fun than they should be.
[2] The whole plan hinges on violating the BHPC uncertainty principle, whereby it's impossible to determine with any degree of certainty a rider's identity and velocity at the same time.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #746 on: 21 August, 2023, 01:05:59 pm »
I was going to protest vigorously at the 3.87 mph, before realising that current stoutness of tum probably precludes riding Cosimo at all, as I never got round to fitting the hinged tiller I bought for him.  Instead I sold it to Auntie Charlotte.  Hence it now adorns Kim's steed instead.

Just realised in my witlessness that I neglected to buy certain things I need for my upcoming holibobs while at Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles just now, so it's either another trip there or try the Co-op wot is a lot nearer.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #747 on: 21 August, 2023, 09:49:36 pm »
I'm fairly sure the 3.87mph effort was on foot.  2D Mr Larrington being a convenient way of testing the RFID system, and indeed simulating the presence of stray helmets behind the timing tent, which is what's going to wreak havoc with the smooth running of this particular bit of software. (In a normal race, helmet wankers[1] only muck up their own results, in this case, they can inadvertently bag other people's efforts.)

[1] ©2023 barakta.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #748 on: 03 September, 2023, 07:49:31 pm »
I've done a utilitarian adventure every day this week. None more than about 2.5 miles, but I did face dangerous wildlife and hazardous natives (a puncture).

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #749 on: 04 September, 2023, 11:42:15 am »
Trip to Winchester for my study weekend, courtesy of ASLEF who didn't feel like driving trains on Saturday.  Oddly enough set my fastest time up Farleigh Hill on Strava despite two fully loaded panniers.  On reflection, I only ride up Farleigh Hill when doing training courses, so all the Strava times involve an extra load.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)