Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284513 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
You need this like a... but of course it needs one!
http://youtu.be/Je30JqJCW0o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Have Sara Cox and Philomena Cunk ever been seen in the same room?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Been there, got the t-shirt

Working my way up to inferior.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Masterchef: The Professionals on BBC at the moment (another one tonight). 4 weeks in. 10 contestants per weeks. With tonight's program that will make 40 chefs trying to get through so far.

3 of which have been women (I don't think there are any women on tonight's program, from the footage they showed last night)

Surely the ratio of women to men in the cheffing business must be higher than 3/40.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Masterchef: The Professionals on BBC at the moment (another one tonight). 4 weeks in. 10 contestants per weeks. With tonight's program that will make 40 chefs trying to get through so far.

3 of which have been women (I don't think there are any women on tonight's program, from the footage they showed last night)

Surely the ratio of women to men in the cheffing business must be higher than 3/40.

Probably not.  At least not at the higher end.

Like with most other jobs, the catering industry is made up of the young and females at the shit lower end, the men being aggressive and moving through the ranks quickly.  This is a great shame as some of the best chefs I have had the pleasure to work with have been women, the men being too "in your face"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

RIP PD James. Not everyone's cup of tea but I found her novels quite readable.
Working my way up to inferior.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Happy Hogswatch!

To celebrate, this evening I'll be curling up on the sofa with a  beer and a Discworld novel  :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
RIP PD James. Not everyone's cup of tea but I found her novels quite readable.

I thought she was great, her writing was always sharp and challenging, and her voice was young.  I was astonished when I heard how old she was.

Thanks PD James!
Milk please, no sugar.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
"Carman's Whistle" by Robert Johnson on a Julian Bream LP* I bought yesterday.  Hang on a mo. JB playing the blues!? On a lute!? Oh, ah, I _see_; a _different_ Robert Johnson.   An Elizabethan/Jacobean Robert Johnson (1582-1633).  Clot.  Really must pay more attention that or buy some new specs. :)

*Note for very much younger readers.
Like streamed music only _you_ have a physical copy and can lend it to friends without people** getting all uptight and sniffy about it.

**Lawyers and bean-counters mostly.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Chris S

Google+ "Auto-Awesome" (I'm just guessing here, but that looks like a name that an American would think up) just sent me an edit of video clips and photos I took at the Cyclo Cross yesterday.

It's not that bad, actually - but it is a bit freaky, having a machine somewhere doing something almost creative with my stuff.

Bez on C4 News.

:)

Comical, but he did talk quite a lot of sense.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Tipped off to the publication of a new Stuart MacBride novel next month by, of all things, an ad on a web site, I have now got a novella by the same author for the princely sum of 99p.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Stardust was on this afternoon.  The star was played by Carrie out of Homeland!  Except Carrie was dubbed by a posh English girl.  From the embodiment of light in a fairy tale, to a psychopath CIA agent.  Whoa.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
You are all to tune your wirelesses to BBC Radio 3 at 18:45 next Sunday, December 14th, for "The Supernatural North" in which Eleanor Rosamund Barraclough visits Norway in search of the supernatural icy world that haunts the imagination of writers like Philip Pullman and A.S. Byatt.  Never mind them, though, it also features Dr Larrington.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
last.fm's scrobbler has nothing to say about Swiss metal mayhem merchants Krokus ::-)  And it thinks The House Of Lords are some Gene Simmons-endorsed bunch of New Yorkers, not Penniless Student Oaves from Midsomer Norton featuring my chum Hobbs ???

clarion

• Tyke
I have nothing to say of Krokus.

My mum said that if you haven't anything nice to say...
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I saw them at the Lyceum circa 1980 and jolly good fun they were too!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Legs & Co's interpretation of the Quo's Living on an Island on TOTP1979 tonight was - well, words fail me.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Kate Rusby's Christmas Tour shoes were nowhere near as nice as the shiny red ones with bows on that Ruthie and Butterfly and I argued about 2 years ago.

Her mittens and wooly scarf were nice tho.

(And the brass band and the 'boys' and la Belle Rusby were of course delightful.... sorry, Clarion)

Cudzoziemiec

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
When I become The Emporer of Everything, my first law to be enacted will contain the following:

1) it is not illegal to punch someone if a) they are a TV chef whose first name begins with "Jam" or b) they present at house search show and use the phrase "Wow factor".
2) The aforementioned house search shows must be honest, not presented as if writing an estate agents particulars.
3) Car make over shows must be honest too.
4) "Bear" Grills must admit he is, really, a wuss and he gets his cameraman to act as a body double for him for all the dangerous stuff...

I envisage this would lead to much more entertaining TV
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

Does 1)b) still apply even if the house is in Southend and comes complete with a bearded, jovial, beer-drinking, Bach-singing resident?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Ha, it's cyclists versus motorbikers on Bargain Hunt this morning, it's such a no-brainer which bunch of skinflint curmudgeons is going to win that one!   :demon:
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
If you copy a bunch of mp3s into a temporary directory prior to importing them into iThings and then delete them afterwards then the not-very-random play thing gets all confused and will start playing as many versions of George Thorogood & The Destroyers' "Treat Her Right" as it can find.