Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286888 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I don't "get" Miranda (although I do find her funny when she's not in character), I don't "get" MBB.  I mean I understand where the jokes are, and I understand why they are jokes, but they just seem empty, without any irony or pathos.  No doubt some adults found Rent-a-Ghost funny.

There doesn't have to be irony or pathos in comedy to be full.  It can be full to the brim with joy and sheer funniness.  Rent-a-Ghost was full up with twats.  Miranda, for those who like it, is simply feel-good entertainment.  That's as important as anything, and actually has been a bit of medicine for me when I've been depressed.  It doesn't mean the fans don't also like more sophisticated comedy.  It is possible for the same person to like Miranda and Bill Hicks.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Anyway, I regularly find myself laughing at Count Arthur Strong, so I'm no judge of what is and isn't good comedy.

I find bits of CAS mildly amusing, with the very occasional proper laugh. Generally though, he fits in the category of Radio 4 comedy that I can't be arsed to turn off, because it's easier to listen to it than to come out of the kitchen and walk over to the radio.

I must say I'm slightly disappointed that my earlier attempt to call down the HATE upon Trodd en Bratt Say 'Well Done You' has failed, but I suppose that the most probable explanation is that no-one else has actually heard it, given that most normal people are possessed of the gene that lets them turn off the radio or telly when there's a shite programme on.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
That gene let me down with the first episode of "The Casual Vacancy" but we were waiting for the news and the foopball...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Although the "Genre" tag is set to "Podcast", if you play an mp3 of the "The Infinite Monkey Cage" on a Humax PVR it describes it as "Blues" ???

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I don't "get" Miranda (although I do find her funny when she's not in character), I don't "get" MBB.  I mean I understand where the jokes are, and I understand why they are jokes, but they just seem empty, without any irony or pathos.  No doubt some adults found Rent-a-Ghost funny.

Sort of the opposite of me with Gavin & Stacey. Not only do I not find it funny, I don't see why it's supposed to be funny and can't understand what people are laughing at or why they're laughing when they're laughing.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
BRITONS' Broadcasting Corporation!

You are doing my swede in, and I don't mean Saga Norén either.  Comic Relief Pro-Sleb darts FFS ::-)

Can we have a separate Comic Relief channel, please?  Or just stuff it on BBC3?

Marco Polo

Youngest's description "Its a bit like game of thrones but with more nudity"

yebbut GoT is a fantasy novel. Marco Polo is a real historical figure . . . .

I was prepared for hysterical historical innacuracies but drew the line at the Polos trading spices from China to europe along the Silk Road, ("Daddy, why do they call it the Silk Road") then dear little Marco (who doesn't change facial expression for whole episodes, bless, its amazing he didn't get cramp) doesn't recognise Linen. Seems its something produced by the Chinese and unknown to traders in Europe. What The Fuck

The first episode is wooden and clunky in the extreme. Teenage Girl declared "If there isn't a serious named female character in the next episode, I'm not watching this crap."

Lo, one appears. She's a red-hot princess who is prepared to go to any lengths for diplomatic solutions. She can even kick ass, slaughtering 3 armed soldiers with a jade hair pin. Sadly, she has to do this naked. Youngest was right.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
There is a school of thought which believes that much of what Marco Polo wrote was, er, made up.

That ^^^^ does sound like Utter Bobbins even by his standards thobut.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Marco Polo

I'm betting the nudity has the same cock-parity issues as GoT, too...

Marco Polo

So far, yeah.

It doesn't have brazillian trims on all the women, but they do have shaved armpits.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo

10/10.

One I took an educated guess, I knew the rest.

ian

8/10, but I confess I edu-guessed most of them by the picking the answer that looked the most right. Got  3 and 7 wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Nobbut seven.  I am clearly a member of the Confederacy of Dunces.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I'm glad Harrison Ford is ok.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Marco Polo

So far, yeah.

It doesn't have brazillian trims on all the women, but they do have shaved armpits.

I saw the trailer on a DVD, IIRC. Utter dross, with nudity.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
8/10 in The Graun's literary quotations quiz. Here: http://www.theguardian.com/books/quiz/2015/mar/03/quotation-literary-titles-quiz
9 out of 10. I conflated the Bard with the Dean.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Amazing darts from Lee Mack and Tim Vine.  They really could be professional dartists.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0552cyf/lets-play-darts-for-comic-relief-episode-5

Maybe this should be in a sports thread!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Is it Wobbly John OR David Martin, or Wobbly John AND David Martin under the hoods?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3oItpVa9fs

Happy 175th Birthday to the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra    :thumbsup:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/rlpo-marks-175th-anniversary-giant-8816723
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Oh Noes !  The very last edition of Girls With Slingshots  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Did I miss a bit, or did the BBC4 documentary about Oirish music completely ignore Stiff Little Fingers in order to lend more time to the U2 love-in?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I guessed it would contain way too much1 U-DOS so didn't watch it.  If anyone can confirm the presence of Rory Gallagher then I'll crank up get_iPlayer, otherwise it can get tae feck.

1 - i.e. any U-DOS

Nah, there was a good bit on Rory Gallagher. U2 content was mostly (but not exclusively) at the back.