Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286865 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Slightly less annoying than most of last series until you get to the [soiler], thobut.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Wasn't "Veep" (very) loosely based on "The Thick Of It"?  Somehow I can't imagine the median USAnian audience going for a programme using language like "six-toed pony-fuckers", "marzipan dildo" or ""I will tear your fucking skin off, I will wear it to your mother's birthday party, and rub your nuts up and down her leg whilst whistling Bohemian fucking Rhapsody".

Somebody lent us Veep. I thought I was going to hate it but actually it's a fairly close match for TTOI considering a)it's Usanian and b) there's no Malcolm Tucker.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Wasn't "Veep" (very) loosely based on "The Thick Of It"?  Somehow I can't imagine the median USAnian audience going for a programme using language like "six-toed pony-fuckers", "marzipan dildo" or ""I will tear your fucking skin off, I will wear it to your mother's birthday party, and rub your nuts up and down her leg whilst whistling Bohemian fucking Rhapsody".

Somebody lent us Veep. I thought I was going to hate it but actually it's a fairly close match for TTOI considering a)it's Usanian and b) there's no Malcolm Tucker.

Coincidentally, I heard an old interview with Armando Ianucci the other day* in which he was discussing the genesis of Veep. Basically, it would have been a straight remake of The Thick Of It but ABC snapped up the rights to that title before HBO could get their hands on it, so instead HBO commissioned Ianucci & co to make a new series on the same lines.

I've not seen the 'official' American version of The Thick Of It but it sounds terrible. Apparently, it was so bad they never got beyond making the pilot.

Veep, on the other hand, is pure genius.

*an episode of Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast from 2012 in which he interviews Armando Ianucci and Graham Linehan together. Most entertaining.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

I prefer Veep, Julia Louis-Dreyfus is wonderful and the cast gels and there's just an outre about US politics that our own marvellous system of upper class men hawing and gaffawing at each other just can't match. And they can be sweary as they want as it's on HBO. Ianucci has a gift.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Having today discovered a factoid about Uriah Heep, a band which I've never taken any notice of, I started listening to Youtube's Uriah Heep mix. I'm not looking at the youtube, just listening. Suddenly the folk-tinged heavy rock with metal leanings is interrupted by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John singing You're the one that I want! Imagine how well that fits in! So I switch to the youtube tab and what do I see to explain my bewilderment? An advert for Uncle Ben's Quinoa and Rice, a product of whose existence I have been even more ignorant than of Uriah Heep. Informed but not enlightened. Perhaps the weirdest thing was that the (American-sounding) voiceover produced quinoa "correctly" rather than "naturally".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I got all excited when I saw Explosions in the Sky were going to play Durham (in addition to Glasgow, Manchester and the usual places) :D

Then I realised it was Durham, North Carolina. Arse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Colin Vearncombe is critically ill in hospital after a car crash, and Celine Dion's husband has died.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
I note that Bergerac's Triumph Roadster is earning a crust in the Go Compare "Brief Encounter" advert.  How the mighty are fallen. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
You wouldn't say that if you had watched the recent repeats of Bergerac - hasn't stood the test of time.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Steph, did you look at the date on that article?

Vince

I wonder if an "IPlayer Original" is the equivalent of a film being released straight to DVD?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I wonder if an "IPlayer Original" is the equivalent of a film being released straight to DVD?

I think that's code for "we commissioned this before we decided to axe BBC3".

Vince

216km from Marsh Gibbon

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I happened on this yesterday whilst driving:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06whsx1 start a 13m 50s.

It's a song. I found it very funny. I insist, however, that it does not in any way apply to me. Oh no! Not at all...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

;D  ;D that was fun
the slower you go the more you see

hillbilly

Currently making my way through every episode of South Park in order.

The show is funny as hell, suitably puerile, with an irreverent streak of social commentary (increasingly so from series 5 or thereabouts) that puts Family Guy and Simpsons and all those other jaded and less mirthsome American wannabees in the shade. 

Anybody who disagrees with me is either a hippy or a pussy.  And should respect my authority.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Currently making my way through every episode of South Park in order.

The show is funny as hell, suitably puerile, with an irreverent streak of social commentary (increasingly so from series 5 or thereabouts) that puts Family Guy and Simpsons and all those other jaded and less mirthsome American wannabees in the shade. 

Anybody who disagrees with me is either a hippy or a pussy.  And should respect my authority.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDDJvC2CGaU

ian

Hillbilly is correct, but man, that's a lot of episodes.

I just like saying gluten makes your dick fly off. Oh, and singing the gayfish song.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

TIMMY!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
The first batch of artists playing at Deer Shed have been announced.

Most I have never heard anything by, but two I have. Beth Orton and Everything Everything.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
With all the hoopla over David Bowie the death of Mott The Hoople drummer Dale "Buffin" Griffin seems to have slipped under the radar, in much the same way as Lee Brilleaux dying at the same time as Kurt Cobain.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime