Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284416 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Ooh, PSB & 65daysofstatic  :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Ooh, PSB & 65daysofstatic  :thumbsup:

I KNOW, right?!   :D :D :D :D

It would be so awesome if they let me drive that telescope.  Suspect this is unlikely.
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Considering booking a table at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.  Because I can  8)
Milk please, no sugar.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Miss von Brandenburg has just given me the appalling news that the publication of the sixth book of Ben Aaronovitch's very splendid and worthwhile "Rivers Of London" series has been postponed...

...until June 2016 :o

Did I not mention that a several of weeks ago? I defo told *somebody* I got an email from Amazon about it.

Been put back yet again!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Miss von Brandenburg has just given me the appalling news that the publication of the sixth book of Ben Aaronovitch's very splendid and worthwhile "Rivers Of London" series has been postponed...

...until June 2016 :o

Did I not mention that a several of weeks ago? I defo told *somebody* I got an email from Amazon about it.

Been put back yet again!

But on,y to 14th July this time.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Have we had OK Go's new zero-gravity (yes, for realsies) music video yet?

http://okgo.net/2016/02/11/upside-down-inside-out/

To clarify - no green screens, no wires, and shot in one take aboard a parabolic plane flight. All they've done is cut the double-gravity bits out between dives.
Brilliant, thank-you! I have yet to see a dull OK-Go video :)

(that is probably their least-interesting song so far, but you cant have everything ...)

Reminded me of that video by Jamiroquai(?) in the sliding room i.e. fooling the human brain with a very simple trick, and doing some very lovely things with it.

Anyone who hasnt seen it should start with "The treadmill  one" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pv5zWaTEVkI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/pv5zWaTEVkI&rel=1</a>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Battle Mountain: Graeme Obree's Story is showing at The Ritzy, Brixton, at hours 18:30 tomorrow.  Q&A with Graeme and director Dave Street afterwards.  I may well find myself on the Victoria Line tomorrow pm.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

essexian

Battle Mountain: Graeme Obree's Story is showing at The Ritzy, Brixton, at hours 18:30 tomorrow.  Q&A with Graeme and director Dave Street afterwards.  I may well find myself on the Victoria Line tomorrow pm.

Booked to see this at the Mac in Birmingham on the 16th April.... wrong date entered first time sorry. The 9th is the Primitives in Coventry: doh!

Sadly, I couldn't get CBH interested so I will be attending on my own.... they have never heard of him.....  :facepalm:

I'm off to see this Monday in Brighton. That reminds me - I must cancel the doctors appointment that requires me to be in Eastbourne at the same time.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

I got all excited when I saw Explosions in the Sky were going to play Durham (in addition to Glasgow, Manchester and the usual places) :D

Then I realised it was Durham, North Carolina. Arse.

Hurrah, they're playing Newcastle in October!! Even though it's a Tuesday, it means I don't have to go to Manchester :D

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Ooh goody, Sharknado's on telly!  That'll help me fight the paperwork  :D
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind the BBC News channel's just having broadcast a fifteen minute infomercial about Dubai airport ???

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind the BBC News channel.
FTFY.  Who needs 24 hour "rolling" news anyway? Rehashing the same bloody non-stories for hour after tedious hour. 

And while I'm grumbling (yes, yes I know there's another thread for that) why the bloody hell does Gardener's World* have to be shunted for some tedious bloody sporting event?  There's the damned red button channel for tedious bloody sporting events.

*See also, "You know you're middle aged when..."
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind the BBC News channel's just having broadcast a fifteen minute infomercial about Dubai airport ???

The reasoning is that BBC News is f***ing sh*t and lost the plot behind what is real news some years ago.

It's rolling News-a-tainment trying to compete with SKY. 

The fundamental problem with 24 hour news is that, when there isn't any news, they'll manufacture some or just read out whatever "spin" they are handed from No.10 as if they uncovered something using decent journalism.

I don't see much difference between a BBC news presenter, a BBC weather presenter and a Blue Peter presenter to be honest.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
No, Dan Snow, Up Helly Aa is a 19th century invention for fleecing tourists and has as much to do with Vikings as those plastic horned helmets sported by Danish foopball fans >:(

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
No, Dan Snow, Up Helly Aa is a 19th century invention for fleecing tourists and has as much to do with Vikings as those plastic horned helmets sported by Danish foopball fans >:(

BUT LOOK! YOU CAN SEE VIKINGS FROM SPACE!!!!! zOMG!!!!!!!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Mrs SCIENTIST does have previous for finding things FROM SPAAAACE but they should have had a Viking Expert fronting it.  Dr Larrington, for e.g.  Then they could have dispensed with all that poncing around at sea and made the programme half an hour shorter.

I think I'm in love with the blonde Icelandic lab technician, though.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

that may be so, but I still want to see it.  Having been to Shetland a few times, that's got to be impressive in the middle of winter
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Ooooh!  Vinn Garbutt's on in Stockton tomorrow!

Shall I?  Shan't I?....
Milk please, no sugar.

clarion

• Tyke
:o I had no idea he was still gigging!
Getting there...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
http://arconline.co.uk/whats-on/music/vin-garbutt-plus-amelia-coburn

If anyone would care to join me ... ?

I don't think I'm well enough to go on my own, but if any of the Northern posse are interested, we'll see if we can organise it?
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
The title sequence of "Motorsport Mavericks" on ITV4 the other night featured a guest appearance from Bobb's hair!

Just bought tickets for both Elaine Paige & Explosions In The Sky.

One of these gigs is not for me........
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
We're going to see Explosions in the Sky in Manchester, but sadly not Sigur Ros in Edinburgh,  cos we're in France that week :(
Or This Will Destroy You, cos that's the week after we're in MCR.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

I wasn't feeling the appeal of moist kickballers on the live tellybox last night, so I had a bit of a rootle on iPlayer and found a most excellent (though not new - 2014) Storyville documentary about James Randi.  A very interesting person - definitely one for the fantasy dinner party invitation list.