Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284607 times)

The older I get, the funnier Ed Reardon (R4) gets....  Ping, his Sloaney non-assistant, on a 30-years on commemoration gig for the miners' strike:

Oh yah, that's like totes gradely

Definitely.  There's a huge parallel between Ed Reardon and Tony Hancock for me.  They just moan all the time and nearly everything they say is spot-on!  I didn't hear that Ping bit bit will look out for the repeat.  This is from someone who did a benefit gig for that very strike!
Tony Hancock?

It has references (from Ed Reardon's name onwards) to New Grub Street (1891).
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Watching Coast Australia. With Neil Oliver (Can he thicken his accent any more) and the delightful Xanthe Mallet (definitely very English).

It is a treat to see Xanthe, with whom I worked many years ago before she went to Oz.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
I have previously grumbled moaned about modern classical music.  But last night I came across a piece I actually liked: Lamentatio by Giovanni Sollima.  I shall have to explore his other works.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Wilko Johnson live on the One Show last week: entertaining guitarist and great bloke, but he really should get someone else to sing.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
One-word comment from the late lamented John Peel following an odd-even-by-their-elevated-standards Sigur Rós track:

Weirdos!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Watched the two BBC4 Handmade films last night. The glass jar one being the easier to follow, IMHO, as we seemed to see the whole process. The knife one covered 15 hours in 30 minutes, so was a bit more disjointed to my eye.

Shame they didn't at least name the glass designer's assistant in the credits and I would've liked to have seen more of the knife blade once finished, but an interesting concept with not a word of commentary to get in the way of the processes being filmed.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
McGyver on CBS right now. He foiled lasers with his binocliars and is using chemistry to save the world. And his boss is called Andy Coulson  :o
Milk please, no sugar.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
On Saturday I sang in a concert - Mozart & Haydn masses. I didn't count the members of the audience, but I would doubt that there were more than 100 there. Five of them came along because I was singing in it - supportive friends & rellies.

I have just come back from Waitrose where I was accosted by a woman who clearly recognised me (can't think how) and told me how much she enjoyed it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Watched the two BBC4 Handmade films last night. The glass jar one being the easier to follow, IMHO, as we seemed to see the whole process. The knife one covered 15 hours in 30 minutes, so was a bit more disjointed to my eye.

Shame they didn't at least name the glass designer's assistant in the credits and I would've liked to have seen more of the knife blade once finished, but an interesting concept with not a word of commentary to get in the way of the processes being filmed.

Ah. My Dad was talking about these, and I watched a bit of the chair one with him. V good. I've grabbed all three to watch later.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I might be on the radio one day next week, only for about 10 mins, but still :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
Where might we find this gem of broadcasting history on our wireless receiving sets?
Getting there...

tiermat

Where might we find this gem of broadcasting history on our wireless receiving sets?

:) Don't get too excited, I haven't had confirmation, yet, but it would be at 16:50 on 6Music (if you listen even semi-regularly you will know what feature is on then :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
I switch over after Lamacq's first track (which is usually a corker!).
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
The good day/bad day thing?  Have you decided in advance whether you're going to have a good day?  :)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Really?  Thought BBC Radio only went up to 4(extra). 

;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

The good day/bad day thing?  Have you decided in advance whether you're going to have a good day?  :)

No, both songs are corkers, so don't really have a preference. I might just, on purpose say I have had a bad day as all the recent ones have been good days.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Finally watched the last episode of Smiley's People.
All of that just for a bloke to walk across a bridge ???
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Is it Christmas or something ??? Channel 5 are showing the Great Escape
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

No, both songs are corkers, so don't really have a preference. I might just, on purpose say I have had a bad day as all the recent ones have been good days.

It is on today, at 16.50 or so.

Still undecided as to whether I am having a bad day or a good day.

tiermat

It is on today, at 16.50 or so.

Still undecided as to whether I am having a bad day or a good day.

I decided, at the last minute that I was having a bad day :) Nothing to do with the song choice, oh no....

clarion

• Tyke
I was betting on the Terrorvision come what may!
Getting there...

tiermat

I was betting on the Terrorvision come what may!

I got the impression, from talking to the production team, that they were, too.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Is it just me who finds it disconcerting when $AUTHOR, having written a book narrated in the first person, does the sequel in the third person?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Is it just me who finds it disconcerting when $AUTHOR, having written a book narrated in the first person, does the sequel in the third person?

No, ian wrote.

I think many authors slip into the third person eventually, writing in the first can be limiting after a time, since you are confined to a singular, unreliable viewpoint. Or you can mix and match the first and third with crazy abandon. I stand guilty as charged, your honour.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I prefer the second, you see.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.