Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 287017 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Does Slope know about this ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
We haz teams for Star Wars football match. Both teams playing 4-3-3:
Rebels
Obi Wan-Knobi; R2D2 at right back, centre backs Finn and Capt Antilles, left back Rebel Trooper Jeff; CDM Chewbacca, centre mids Leia and C3P0 (!), wingers Luke and Poe Dameron; striker Han Solo.

Empire
Supreme Leader Snoke as a hologram in goal; IG88 at right back, centre backs Bosk and Storm Trooper Bob, left back General Hux; centre mids Grand Moff Tarkin and Admiral Piet, CAM Emperor Palpatine; wingers Kylo Ren and Darth Vader; striker Boba Fett.

Captains Leia and Darth Vader respectively.

Referee: Yoda

We await a date and venue.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Doesn't look good for the Empire unless they can substitute their goalie for Jabba the Hutt.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Half-time oranges provided by Mr Stevens.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Check Mr Fett for jetpacks.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

No rules against jetpacks. The match was played last night and the score can now be revealed: 4-4, with the Rebels winning 8-7 on penalties. There were doughnuts (or where they donuts?) and the Emperor narrowly avoided a red card for his misuse of Sith lightning.

Cudzoziemiec

I've just heard House of the Rising Sun. So what? By Joan Baez. That was unexpected!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
I've just heard House of the Rising Sun. So what? By Joan Baez. That was unexpected!
Oodles of versions

The oddest version I've heard is a flamenco / rock take by Santa Esmeralda (with Jimmy Goings) from '77.  The tape (yes _tape_) is playing as I type.  I'll put The Animals (LP) on next.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

Is that tape as distinct from cassette? If so, >> 8)

Today's miniature musical post-velation is the White Stripes (a band I've totally ignored until now) version of Jolene. It makes me think I'd like to hear a Patti Smith cover of that song.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Boothby Graffoe tweeted a link about Dean Friedman's Fringe show, so I tweeted Boothby with the youtube link to The Bastard Son of Dean Friedman, and now Dean Friedman is following me.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Is that tape as distinct from cassette? If so, >> 8)

Today's miniature musical post-velation is the White Stripes (a band I've totally ignored until now) version of Jolene. It makes me think I'd like to hear a Patti Smith cover of that song.

DJ Random seems to like it too.  I have five versions (Peel Sessions, live recordings of dubious provenance etc.) and he's played three of them in the past couple of days.

Cudzoziemiec

Sometimes when you hear a new version of a familiar song it really makes you focus on the words. At least, that's what happens for me. When Dolly Parton sings, it's a song with a sad story, but when the White Stripes sing, it's a song of mental agony! And Patti Smith is pretty good at that IMO so that's why it made me think of her.

Anywayz, you've just made gone and go and listen to it again, and guess what came up afterwards? The White Stripes again, playing... House of the Rising Sun! I wonder if Joan Baez ever did Jolene?  :-\

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Sara Mohr-Pietsch did a brilliant job with a handful of Czech names while introducing this evening's Proms performance.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Roll on Christmas!

Partly because this horrible year will be nearly over, but also because of this:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2016/08/23/25614/eric_idle_and_brian_cox_to_explain_the_universe
Milk please, no sugar.

We're belatedly catching up with recorded stuffs - in this case "Brief Encounters".  A rather formulaic series, and quite reminiscent of the Full Monty (set in Sheffield, unemployment, domestic strife, cross-class friendships), but of it's type well done with some funny one-liners.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Dear the piper playing between Parliament Square and Westminster Abbey:

Unless your bagpipes spout FIRE (they didn't), no one will be impressed with your cover of Thunderstruck.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Happy 70th birthday, Freddie.

From Saturday night

Oh no, not Gunvald :(
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The Pock-Mark Game. This consists of watching actors' foreheads for the places they scratched when they had chicken-pox as children. On spotting a pock-mark, the spotter bellows "pock-mark!" and scores a point. Points are totted up at the end of the film. Expect football- rather than cricket-sized scores.

The Sleeper Game. Less amusing but fun anyway: people past a certain age who sleep mostly on the same side often show a diagonal crease running up their foreheads on that side.  Bellow "left!" or "right!" as these are spotted.

Most fun if played in cinemas. An excellent way of getting through Woody Allen or Wim Wenders films without being bored out of your skull.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Huh.  The Boxer Rebellion are playing.  On a Tuesday night in Leeds.  This is of no use to me whatsoever  >:(
Milk please, no sugar.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
I'm quite enjoying Stranger Things, it's worth it for the synth-tastic soundtrack and mash-up of eighties TV style through the big, big glasses, fat trimphones, to the haircuts-oh-glorious-haircuts. You can almost smell the hairspray. And one of the kids looks like Kevin Bacon. Oh, and Winona Ryder. You can't build a better time machine.

El looks very much like Lance Armstrong.  I can't get over it whenever I see her.  Do you think it was the performance enhancing drugs that gave her her powers?

From Saturday night

He was worried about being typecast, & wanted to do more of other things.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ian

I'm quite enjoying Stranger Things, it's worth it for the synth-tastic soundtrack and mash-up of eighties TV style through the big, big glasses, fat trimphones, to the haircuts-oh-glorious-haircuts. You can almost smell the hairspray. And one of the kids looks like Kevin Bacon. Oh, and Winona Ryder. You can't build a better time machine.

El looks very much like Lance Armstrong.  I can't get over it whenever I see her.  Do you think it was the performance enhancing drugs that gave her her powers?

Quite possibly. It was the entire MK-Ultra thing, filling people up with LCD to knock knock knock on their doors of perception.

In other news, while I enjoyed this, I think the benefit was that it was modestly short by US series lengths and packed a lot in. I'm struggling now with Jessica Jones and Daredevil because they seem very laboured. Plots are well telegraphed and a lot screen time seems dedicated to waiting for the obvious to happen and slothful 'character development'. Like The Walking Dead it's all very much treading water and filling screen time. Pep it up, folks.

One of my twenty-not-very-much colleagues is doing the accounts and just declared "aahh, ten pence short!"  ;D  Took me back 20 years...

From Saturday night

He was worried about being typecast, & wanted to do more of other things.

;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)