Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2168535 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #100 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:18:52 pm »
I've put new brake pads in front and back.

Watched a howto video online first, after seriously struggling with it last time - it is SO much easier after removing the calipers from the frame.

« Reply #101 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:36:14 pm »
Replaced clutch slave cylinder on Landy. I had to take the exhaust off to do it  ::-)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #102 on: 08 July, 2008, 11:45:37 am »
Yesterday, on Monty: installed hydraulic rim brakes, re-routed and replaced drum brake cable, serviced drum brake, renewed bar tape, investigated eccentric BB, installed saddles.

Phew!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #103 on: 08 July, 2008, 05:19:39 pm »
New bright blue bar tape.

alan

« Reply #104 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:13:43 pm »
I have fettled the roof rack on the car so that it now has an additional 3 channels(satin anodised ali) secured with U bolts.This will allow Marj's Trice to be carred on the roof of the car.

« Reply #105 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:33:19 pm »
Re-greased the headset on my tourer, as it seemed to be pulling to the left and it was a bugger to adjust. 

Given that it's only a few months/hundred miles old, I was surprised at how dry it was.

Better now though :)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #106 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:43:59 am »
Replaced Mrs. TKP's Quill stem with an adjustable front opening one to raise her bars slightly. If only it was as simple as it sounds. Removed handle bar furniture on one side, remove brake, remove bar tape, remove old stem, fit new stem. Replace brake, find that new position of handlebars requires slightly longer outer brake cable sheath which I don't have to hand. Also, I can't get the bolts that enable angle adjustment on the new stem to move so it looks like it's back to the LBS this morning. Never mind, any excuse to visit LBS rather than work.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #107 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:46:42 am »
A mercy dash: drove up to Wells in the middle of the night to help a flustered triathlete pack her bike bag before flying out to Austria today.  Loaned pedal spanner.  Back home 01:30.  I am Bicycle Repair Zombie.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #108 on: 09 July, 2008, 06:57:29 pm »
A friend bought a Puch steel 'racer' in an auction for £28 and brought it round for a bit of TLC. The frame is in remarkably good condition so with a few new bits and pieces and some alloy wheels it will make him a decent bike. (He was rather alarmed at the braking performance of the steel wheels in the rain today  ;D )

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #109 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:03:49 pm »
My winter commuter eggbeaters started to click and grate yesterday so it was bearing replacement time this evening....

A simple job using a "rebuild kit":
Unscrew pedal end cap, remove retaining nut, remove sealed outer bearing (or whats left of it!) remove pedal outer, dig remove inner rubber seal and inner nylon bush.
Replace all the inner bits with new items in the reverse order. Attach greasing disk, grease thoroughly and replace end cap. About 10 minutes worth each pedal.

They seem to have lasted about 15,000km this time.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #110 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:23:18 am »
First thing I did this morning was refit the Bagman to my fixie. 

What's that?  Was I fettling it in bed last night?  Mind your own business, you impudent pup!

Yes :-[
Getting there...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #111 on: 15 July, 2008, 03:00:40 pm »
I fitted new peddles to a friend's bike.  The old ones were being held together with tape.  While doing that I noticed that his bottom bracket had a huge amount of movement in it, so I now need to encourage him to sort that out.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #112 on: 15 July, 2008, 05:25:05 pm »
First thing I did this morning was refit the Bagman to my fixie. 

What's that?  Was I fettling it in bed last night?  Mind your own business, you impudent pup!

Yes :-[

This morning, again, I was fiting a Bagman to a bike :-[

Another rod had fallen off on my ride home last night :(
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #113 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:46:44 pm »
I have fettled Marj's Trice.
The " brackets" used to carry her walking stick have been removed :thumbsup:
These consisted of two ahead stems,one of which was adjustable,secured one to the top horizontal rail of the seat chassis & the other to the bottom horizontal rail of the chassis.
The adjustable stem has gone into the spares box.The other has been repositioned onto the offside of the top horizontal rail to carry a seat post in the vertical plane to which I have fixed two rear lights in a relatively high position above the level of the top of a rack pack strapped to the top of the rear pannier.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #114 on: 17 July, 2008, 11:17:57 pm »
removed a punctured tub. Cleaned the rim. Taped it and put on a new tub.

Have to repair the old puncture now.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #115 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:11:34 pm »
I tried to replace the rear mini-Vs on my Pomp with an XTR parallel linkage brake.  Everything I needed was acquired prepared and halfway fitted, before I realised that the Travel Agent fouled on the rack supports.  Bugger.

Since it's the rear brake, having it perfect isn't essential, so I've bodged it enough to work with the standard noodle until I work out what to do. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #116 on: 18 July, 2008, 08:01:59 pm »
I've anti-fettled my front light bracket.  Vibration, it appears, has a detrimental effect on cheese, and the thing has sheared straight through.

Front light is now held on with zip-ties, and as I'm off to Lunnun tomorrow on the Brompton, it'll have to wait till I get back.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #117 on: 18 July, 2008, 08:14:22 pm »
New bar tape on the Zepp and an ickle bar bag and new pedals  on Mrs A's Sirrus.  I love fettling :thumbsup:

« Reply #118 on: 18 July, 2008, 09:45:57 pm »
Built a new rear wheel for my tourer.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #119 on: 24 July, 2008, 07:48:57 pm »
Not one, not two, but three fettles (ok, 2 and a half) this evening.  And I've still got time to do the ironing.

1) Replaced a broken strut on the Windcheetah rear rack.
2) Designed, sourced the parts for, built, installed, tested and commissioned a new twin front light bracket.  It's just a strip of meccano-like aluminium with holes in (I think it came with a rear light for fitting those old heavy things to rear racks), with a bolt through the centre hole and then through the hole in the fork crown.  Then the lights' own brackets bolt to holes further out wide.
3) Investigated the kinda wobbly feeling that the Galaxy was giving me on my commute this morning.  Couldn't find any broken spokes, cracks in the frame, or similar.  So I just put a bit more air in the rear tyre.  And tweaked a spoke or two to remove any miniscule rim wobble.

Now I've got the iron on, so please don't phone or I'll burn my ear...
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #120 on: 25 July, 2008, 12:05:52 pm »
New bar tape (thereby losing my 'bar tape virginity' :)). Pleased enough for a first effort

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #121 on: 03 August, 2008, 06:05:02 pm »
Not really a fettle but gave the bike a very thorough clean today. Spent ages picking the crud out of the derailleur. The pulley is red - who knew?  :-[
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #122 on: 03 August, 2008, 10:24:38 pm »
if it counts, i've taken to storing the bike in the cellar as it's dryer than the shed. the only way i can do it is by sitting it upside down atop a pile of old clothes. i found out today that i can get the bike down the stairs and upside down without removing the front wheel, as i had done previously.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #123 on: 04 August, 2008, 01:27:27 am »
I like a good fettling (MrsCharly)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #124 on: 04 August, 2008, 01:31:28 am »
Yesterday I attempted to fill the tanks in a dinghy with expanding foam (from a can). The nozzle broke off the can, exploding all over a 15ft radius, including me. MrsCharly  has taken great delight in ripping the bits of foam off my arms, taking hair and some skin with it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>