Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65690 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Publicity
« Reply #100 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:20:52 pm »
Then there is the story of the slug crawling up his nose the night he slept in a cemetery...

H

« Reply #101 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:32:50 pm »
There's all the help he's selflessly given along the way, particularly with the eastern 600 at the end of the season to get people to their first SR. Didn't one of these threaten to undermine his chance of breaking the points record? It's not surprising people are prepared to reciprocate with offers of help this year.

FWIW I am one of the many who TG helped through their first 600, the september jolly from MK. Mine was in 2010, and lead to a frenetic year and a half....

As with many of us Steve has shed loads of positive karma from me, and is welcome whenever it suits him and the team this year.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #102 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:34:24 pm »
Overtaking taxis on the Embankment when stoking a tandem?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #103 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:54:47 pm »
Steve's highest year was 405 points and that year he rode his 600 to finish with some slower folk, regardless of finishing within time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #104 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:23:15 pm »
I wonder whether I should send this link to Zoe Williams to help with her research before interviewing Steve on Friday.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52836.0
Reads first paragraph and wonders if this is another Agent Picolax story

It's far, far worse.

Nods
216km from Marsh Gibbon

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #105 on: 27 January, 2015, 04:11:35 pm »
I wonder whether I should send this link to Zoe Williams to help with her research before interviewing Steve on Friday.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52836.0

bloody hell, glad everything ended well! from the surgeons i talked to it's a known problem among bodybuilders injecting steroids, but also many other factors can play part..

« Reply #106 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:56:08 am »
Publicity in Germany:

http://blog.zeit.de/fahrrad/2015/01/28/rekordversuch-fahre-ein-jahr-lang-weit-du-kannst/

die Zeit is one of the larger weeklies.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #107 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:20:50 am »
Publicity in Germany:

http://blog.zeit.de/fahrrad/2015/01/28/rekordversuch-fahre-ein-jahr-lang-weit-du-kannst/

Readers are directed to Jack Numplumz' blog for a vivid (recht anschaulich) account of a night in the life of a host.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #108 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:26:24 am »
I'll be talking with Zoe Williams tonight in preparation for her interview with Steve. Apart from bum boils, anything I should be mentioning to her?
How did it go?  Did she seem impressed by the stories and Steve's current undertaking?

red marley

« Reply #109 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:41:17 am »
It seemed to go well from my point of view - but then that's one of the skills of journalists to put the interviewee at ease. We mostly talked about the culture embodied by Steve's undertaking and more generally the Audax spirit in contrast to the more roadie / ultracycling way of things represented by Tarzan's approach. She politely remarked that such distinctions may be opaque from the distance of non-cycling folk, but fascinating nevertheless. She's good at conveying these things though, so I have some hope for the article.

She asked about the 'crowd-sourced' nature of Steve's support and we talked about how the Audax, YACF and wider community of cyclists and friends have been captivated by this whole thing and have been offering help.

We also chatted about how extreme 'normal' Audaxing distances seem to others, and then how Steve's effort is an order of magnitude greater than that. I mentioned that Audaxing and Steve characterise a no-nonsense stoic "just get on with it" approach and she wondered whether Steve's own modest phlegmatic attitude might make it even harder for people to appreciate just how big a challenge this really is.

BTW: The only reason I had the interview in the first place was because I emailed her pointing her to this forum, my visualization and a couple of lines on why I thought Steve's challenge had an interesting cultural resonance. She then got back in touch wanting to talk further. Worth bearing in mind if anyone else thinks there might be some friendly journos out there (e.g. Ned Boulting?)

« Reply #110 on: 29 January, 2015, 12:05:57 pm »
No bum boils then.

Excellent.  Looking forward to reading it.

« Reply #111 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:22:29 pm »
Nice one Jo.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #112 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:59:19 pm »
Publicity in Germany:

Readers are directed to Jack Numplumz' blog for a vivid (recht anschaulich) account of a night in the life of a host.

I did wonder why the site traffic had gone nuts again  :o glad I put links to steves sponsors on there now, every little helps.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #113 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:08:46 pm »
I note the Bild article uses the word "Rennen" (race) several times.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #114 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:19:44 pm »
I note the Bild article uses the word "Rennen" (race) several times.

It's in Bild as well?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #115 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:21:23 pm »
I thought Bild was just pictures ;-)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

« Reply #116 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:26:24 pm »
Bild, Zeit... it's all Greek to me.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #117 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:27:25 pm »
And a Zeitfahren is a (1-year in this case) time-trial.

« Reply #118 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:29:02 pm »
One reference is to the UMCA reviving the 'Race', and the other is to the Race Across America.

And a Zeitfahren is a time-trial.

I thought that was a Gegen die Uhr Rennen.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #119 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:36:34 pm »
One reference is to the UMCA reviving the 'Race', and the other is to the Race Across America.

And a Zeitfahren is a time-trial.

I thought that was a Gegen die Uhr Rennen.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitfahren

citoyen

« Reply #120 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:41:58 pm »

A couple you've missed:

"Für die drei Männer ist jeden Tag in diesem Jahr ein Rennen"

"[Steve] liegt momentan also gut im Rennen"

Also:

"Für das Rennjahr steht Searvogel eine Person in Vollzeit zur Seite"

"KATEGORIEN: Fahrstil, Rennen" ;)

« Reply #121 on: 30 January, 2015, 11:55:33 am »

We also chatted about how extreme 'normal' Audaxing distances seem to others, and then how Steve's effort is an order of magnitude greater than that. I mentioned that Audaxing and Steve characterise a no-nonsense stoic "just get on with it" approach and she wondered whether Steve's own modest phlegmatic attitude might make it even harder for people to appreciate just how big a challenge this really is.

I know that Steve isn’t doing this for the publicity but it will be interesting to see how media publicity for this challenge continues through the year. It’s such an enormous and lengthy challenge, I suspect it doesn’t sit easily with the media’s usual appetite for instant results and quick fix answers. When I’ve mentioned it to (non-cycling friends), they’ve generally seemed to find the scale of the challenge difficult to comprehend.  Besides being generally awe-struck and comparing it to how far they think they could drive in a year, I guess it’s pretty hard for most people to understand quite how difficult it is to cycle these distance on a daily basis – it just doesn’t sit easily with  a one off 30 mile ride or almost any other kind of physical/mental challenge they’ve come across. Conversely, I think Steve’s challenge is interesting to Audaxers, and anyone who’s cycled 200 miles in a day, precisely because they do have some idea of how difficult it is to ride these distances, even for one day.
allez pas facile sur le sudo

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #122 on: 30 January, 2015, 06:07:36 pm »
Have had a positive response from Portsmouth News and they want to run a story on his visit in March  :thumbsup:

Lets see what comes of that.

H

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #123 on: 30 January, 2015, 06:37:29 pm »
I'm rustling some coverage up for his visit here in Feb.  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #124 on: 30 January, 2015, 09:36:33 pm »

I know that Steve isn’t doing this for the publicity but it will be interesting to see how media publicity for this challenge continues through the year. It’s such an enormous and lengthy challenge, I suspect it doesn’t sit easily with the media’s usual appetite for instant results and quick fix answers. When I’ve mentioned it to (non-cycling friends), they’ve generally seemed to find the scale of the challenge difficult to comprehend.  Besides being generally awe-struck and comparing it to how far they think they could drive in a year, I guess it’s pretty hard for most people to understand quite how difficult it is to cycle these distance on a daily basis – it just doesn’t sit easily with  a one off 30 mile ride or almost any other kind of physical/mental challenge they’ve come across. Conversely, I think Steve’s challenge is interesting to Audaxers, and anyone who’s cycled 200 miles in a day, precisely because they do have some idea of how difficult it is to ride these distances, even for one day.

Good analysis.