Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65693 times)

red marley

Re: Publicity
« Reply #150 on: 06 February, 2015, 02:46:37 pm »
They've also linked Steve's story to Tommy Godwin's obituary, unfortunately the wrong Tommy Godwin. Perhaps somebody should let them know.

They have been informed and the obit has now been removed.

Also informed them of the 76,065 error, which has now been corrected.

Interactive journalism eh?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #151 on: 06 February, 2015, 02:53:36 pm »
And there's an article on the Guardian website: One man, one bike and a 75-year-old record he’s determined to beat

A cracking article that Reg.  :thumbsup:

I'll send a copy to the local rag too.

H

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #152 on: 06 February, 2015, 02:57:44 pm »
They've also linked Steve's story to Tommy Godwin's obituary, unfortunately the wrong Tommy Godwin. Perhaps somebody should let them know.

They have been informed and the obit has now been removed.

Thanks, I was hoping you'd make the connection.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #153 on: 06 February, 2015, 03:25:45 pm »
I ask him what had finally made him do it, and he says, modestly: “Well, I had a year off work.”
“But you asked for the year off work, right?”
“Well, yes.”

Inestimable logic. This is a masterly way to deal with the question "but why, why are you doing it?"
allez pas facile sur le sudo

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #154 on: 06 February, 2015, 03:45:03 pm »
As Springer said when he lifted for Pluto, "because it's there" :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #155 on: 06 February, 2015, 05:37:09 pm »
I ask him what had finally made him do it, and he says, modestly: “Well, I had a year off work.”
“But you asked for the year off work, right?”
“Well, yes.”

Inestimable logic. This is a masterly way to deal with the question "but why, why are you doing it?"
Thank god I'd just finished my cup of tea. That's just perfect.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #156 on: 06 February, 2015, 06:30:43 pm »
I loved reading that. She writes funny.
And great comment by TG at the end.
Garry Broad

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #157 on: 06 February, 2015, 06:59:58 pm »
I loved reading that. She writes funny.
And great comment by TG at the end.
There's also a great reply to the troll's comment:

Adrian Lawson  [to: jayen] 5h ago

Something useful like trolling articles about extraordinary human endeavour with meaningless comments?
Steve isn't listening to you, he isn't going to be stopping because of your opinion, and he looks set to become a cycling legend.
That's what this article is about.

:thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #158 on: 06 February, 2015, 07:31:48 pm »
He's wrong on one count: Steve already is a cycling legend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TGS

« Reply #159 on: 06 February, 2015, 07:46:55 pm »
Great article. Rather than posting here wouldn't it be more productive to explain it to millions of guardian readers one or two uninitiated people by posting over there?

Quote from: TGS [url=http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/06/bike-record-steve-abraham-longest-distance-cycle-year#comment-47201580
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/06/bike-record-steve-abraham-longest-distance-cycle-year#comment-47201580[/url]]
Regarding the comments below concerning the "community". It already exists, and when the challenge is over it will go back to doing what it did before - long distance cycling! The "community" is a disparate bunch, geographically and most probably socially, with a common interest - supporting Steve in this incredible endeavour.

Steve was described in the article as being a modest man. This is indeed so. But he has also supported and encouraged many others to achieve what they hitherto thought was impossible. In my case my first 600Km audax in a little under 40 hours and a 376 mile 24hr TT. But he has done this for many years, and for many people. Do not underestimate the positive karma that he has amassed over the years. Have a look at the list of financial donors on his website.

The community is huge, and he deserves all the support he is getting. I am obviously biased, but as the year progresses this challenge will gain momentum and IMO start to capture the public's imagination.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #160 on: 07 February, 2015, 03:48:52 am »
Apologies if it's already been linked - good writeup in Strava's blog pages :-

http://blog.strava.com/steven-abrahams-year-long-time-trial-9390/

Particularly liking the weapons grade 1000 yard stare picture.

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #161 on: 07 February, 2015, 06:56:43 am »
Rather than posting here wouldn't it be more productive to explain it to millions of guardian readers one or two uninitiated people by posting over there?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/06/bike-record-steve-abraham-longest-distance-cycle-year#comment-47201580
No need; looks like you've done the job perfectly Andy :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #162 on: 07 February, 2015, 08:57:40 am »
Yes, excellent job, TGS!

red marley

« Reply #163 on: 07 February, 2015, 02:16:54 pm »
For those who like to read their articles on paper, Zoe's profile of Steve is on p.14 of today's Saturday Guardian.

« Reply #164 on: 07 February, 2015, 02:20:52 pm »
Good to see it prominently displayed in a national daily.
A good exposure for sponsors too.

TGS

« Reply #165 on: 07 February, 2015, 02:22:06 pm »
For those who like to read their articles on paper .....
Not usually, but I'll be making an exception for this  :)

Isn't it about time for some more TV coverage?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #166 on: 07 February, 2015, 03:59:07 pm »
"It's 5.30 am and time for Cycling Today, for live coverage of Battling British Boy Steve "Teethgrinder" Abraham and his attempt on the record set by the other Battling British Boy, Tommy "4-gears" Godwin. We'll be with you all the way through to stumps, which will be all Steve will have left after the frostbite suffered in North Yorkshire last month. First, Steve's thoughts on farmyard manure marketing strategies."

breaks off into Lilliburlero followed by the shipping forecast

Oh sorry, that was radio.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #167 on: 07 February, 2015, 04:34:19 pm »
14th March. Steve rides to Manchester, to get an hour slot riding around the Manchester Velodrome as part of the next Revolutions event, then cycles home again.
(click to show/hide)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #168 on: 08 February, 2015, 10:30:57 pm »
"It's 5.30 am and time for Cycling Today, for live coverage of Battling British Boy Steve "Teethgrinder" Abraham and his attempt on the record set by the other Battling British Boy, Tommy "4-gears" Godwin. We'll be with you all the way through to stumps, which will be all Steve will have left after the frostbite suffered in North Yorkshire last month. First, Steve's thoughts on farmyard manure marketing strategies."

breaks off into Lilliburlero followed by the shipping forecast

Oh sorry, that was radio.

... and today on The World Service, where in the world has Steve got to now?

« Reply #169 on: 09 February, 2015, 11:35:41 am »
great article.
don't read the comments

There are some right miserable people around aren't there?!  Who has the time or the energy to post snide comments on an article that was generally positive and life affirming?

Liam

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #170 on: 09 February, 2015, 01:26:41 pm »
There are some right miserable people around aren't there?!  Who has the time or the energy to post snide comments on an article that was generally positive and life affirming?

Liam

I'm guessing someone who generally isn't

« Reply #171 on: 09 February, 2015, 03:20:03 pm »
Steve will be on The Bike Show today at 4.30pm on Resonance FM. That's 104.4fm on your FM radio in central London, or via the internet stream or the Radio Player app.

http://resonancefm.com/listen

It's quite an in depth interview, recorded on the eve of his attempt.

However, the podcast version will have 20 minutes or so more stuff than could fit into the half hour broadcast slot (including Dave Barter on the history of the year record), so you could wait for that to appear, midweek sometime.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #172 on: 09 February, 2015, 03:32:02 pm »
Nice one, Jack.  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #173 on: 09 February, 2015, 03:40:26 pm »
Steve will be on The Bike Show today at 4.30pm on Resonance FM. That's 104.4fm on your FM radio in central London, or via the internet stream or the Radio Player app.

http://resonancefm.com/listen

It's quite an in depth interview, recorded on the eve of his attempt.

However, the podcast version will have 20 minutes or so more stuff than could fit into the half hour broadcast slot (including Dave Barter on the history of the year record), so you could wait for that to appear, midweek sometime.

Excellent news! I always look forward to the time when a new episode of the bike show pops up on my podcasts app!

« Reply #174 on: 09 February, 2015, 04:59:52 pm »
That was rather good!