Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 27th  (Read 9906 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Jan 27th
« Reply #25 on: 27 January, 2015, 11:31:21 am »
I don't know what Steve had to drink in Milton but he's doing a loop-the-loop around the place now.

It's the exitement!!

Lots of fast flat roads in the vicinity. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #26 on: 27 January, 2015, 11:42:59 am »
Surely the loop is an homage to Didcot, spiritual home of this fine internet resource.
Not especially helpful or mature

TGS

« Reply #27 on: 27 January, 2015, 11:46:15 am »
Between Milton and Blandford it gets "rolling" at the very least.

I don't think he'll be coming in a straight line - the distance would be too short. By the way, I'm Spartacus AndyH and it is indeed with me he'll be tonight.

Shopping has been done, advice sought from Wobbly, Host guide read and read again, Bike tools, chargers etc prepared, laptop readied, bathroom radiator set to heat all night for the merino. It'll be like fun. But different.

I'm feeling the same apprehension as others have mentioned, and have to remember that we are merely Steve's servants for the few hours he will be with us.

I am down to host for 5 days in May, but approached the hosts manager offering to host at short notice, thinking that it may enable Steve to take advantage of south / south westerly wind. Tomorrow it is forecast to blow a hooley, hopefully on Steve's back, hence the last minute change  ;D

FWIW I am one of the many who TG helped through their first 600, the september jolly from MK. Mine was in 2010, and lead to a frenetic year and a half. My last ride with Steve was an after dinner dart to Market Harborough after the 2011 AGM, where we enjoyed Garlic Bread together before going our separate ways. Garlic Bread will be on the menu tonight. With large quantities of other things, obviously.

As with many of us Steve has shed loads of positive karma from me, and is welcome whenever it suits him and the team this year.

GO STEVE

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:52:10 pm »
He's done a lap of what I know as the Didcot Phoenix CC chaingang route  :thumbsup:
Indeed! Except it looks like he added an extension up Steventon Hill - hard to tell, not enough SPOT points to be sure - which was daft. But hey, it got him to breakfast, so as long as he's happy.

(I missed waving to him on my commute by about 2 hours - jochta must have had a lie-in before his commute. Pffft. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #29 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:52:14 pm »
I'm hoping Steve will do more of the Vale, for a good dose of 'flat' miles; I might actually get to see him on t'bike.  :)   Abingdon and area was a traffic horror today with an all too frequent incident on the A34.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #30 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:57:10 pm »
Indeed! Except it looks like he added an extension up Steventon Hill - hard to tell, not enough SPOT points to be sure -

Yes, looks like Steventon Hill - if I hadn't had a meeting, which was cancelled anyway, I could have waited in Steventon...  * NTS must check the spot tracker before leaving.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #31 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:24:45 pm »
I spotted a Steve ... In his natural habitat

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205798349538193

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #32 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:30:03 pm »
For the love of dog, somebody STOP HIM! He's heading for Swindon!!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #33 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:35:36 pm »
For the love of dog, somebody STOP HIM! He's heading for Swindon!!!!!

He has diverted southwards (phew).

H

« Reply #34 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:54:49 pm »

Mm..clicked on this - says its unavailable.

« Reply #35 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:07:50 pm »

Mm..clicked on this - says its unavailable.

Sorry = It is set us a public video now.  It is also reduced to horrible quality by Facebook.    Nothing special anyway - but glad I got to see him, Its a bit like Le Tour - you have to see it once!

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #36 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:22:33 pm »
Please never use a hand-held video camera while driving again. FFS!

Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #37 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:24:52 pm »

^^ This, unless we both misunderstood and you were actually the passenger (edit, which re-watching, we definitely didn't)

« Reply #38 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:30:27 pm »
Best attack.

Overtake. Get a distance ahead. Park up safely. Get out and take vid of Steve riding past.

PS Do not do a 'French policeman at the Tour de France'.

TGS

« Reply #39 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:37:18 pm »
Meanwhile ..... he seems perilously close to the "North Wessex Downs AONB". Lumpy.

« Reply #40 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:37:54 pm »

^+1

« Reply #41 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:44:02 pm »
camera was on a phone - tucked into my top jacket pocket while i drove up to him.    Took it out as I was passing and switched it off.    Its a straight piece of road which I know well and nothing was coming in either direction.    Parked up later on down the road and took some photos as he passed ...he looked in good nick.   

Hummers

« Reply #42 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:51:17 pm »
Meanwhile ..... he seems perilously close to the "North Wessex Downs AONB". Lumpy.

That's the 100 mile mark. It will be interesting to see which way he goes from here to make the miles up.

H

Chris S

« Reply #43 on: 27 January, 2015, 04:13:21 pm »
Nice. Along the Test Valley - as featured in (probably not exclusively) the 3-Down 300. Lovely ride along there.

TGS

« Reply #44 on: 27 January, 2015, 05:53:39 pm »
Seems to have been in Stockbridge for nearly an hour - I hope everything is OK  ???

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #45 on: 27 January, 2015, 06:00:49 pm »
Stopped for a meal but should be moving shortly.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Hummers

« Reply #46 on: 27 January, 2015, 06:09:08 pm »
Seems to have been in Stockbridge for nearly an hour - I hope everything is OK  ???

Stockbridge: there is so much to tempt the traveller!

Had hoped to ride in to Blandford with Steve from Romsey but it ain't going to happen tonight  :'(

Give him a big kiss from me.

H

« Reply #47 on: 27 January, 2015, 07:16:41 pm »
Went out to try a ride a few miles with him but the mobile internet in the environs of Stockbridge was so poor I couldn't update any of the trackers and ended up riding right past the pub where he was sat  :facepalm:

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #48 on: 27 January, 2015, 07:32:55 pm »
Our Swedish chums* are getting excited because Steve is near Downton. I suspect they think he might be staying at the Abbey there.

:facepalm:

*OK, one of them
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

TGS

« Reply #49 on: 27 January, 2015, 07:52:27 pm »
I think we are ready here. Paul D is waiting under the A338 in Fordingbridge to meet TG and ride the last 25 miles with him. ETA around 2 hours I reckon. It'll have to be a Red Bull Pitstop to get Steve tucked in at a sensible hour.