Author Topic: Cutting back.  (Read 13068 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Cutting back.
« on: 13 April, 2008, 07:58:06 pm »
Not an expression that one would normally associate with me but I've decided that it's high time I took things in moderation.

I've decided that means no 'glass or two or three' of wine in the week and am knocking the binge thing at weekends* on the head. It also means that I'm going to cut down on the bacon sarnies and cholesterol laden breakfast I have every Wednesday as part of a businesss networking meeting.

So what's brought this on?

Well, by the end of February, just by cutting back and exercising moderately, I'd lost a stone since Christmas but over three boozy weekends, it's piled back on.

Also, this Saturday I disgusted myself at how much I drank and am sick of having weekends wasted through being hungover.

I'm not going to cut it out all together (although I have done this before), I'm just trying to cut back and will see how that goes

So, anyone else not going to join me for a drink at the bar?

H

* Isle of Wight and TT's birthday would be an exception to this new regime

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: Cutting back.
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:41:01 pm »
I think I'll join you, Hummers...
Enough is enough.
I also find that a glass the night before kills cycling performance the next day.
I have about a stone or so to lose to be able to get up and down the hills at a decent speed again.
Heres a virtual pint to you instead - enjoy.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:42:39 pm »
Ok I'm in (finishes glass of wine hurriedly)

maybe we should make this a 'fess up thread, so you have to say if you've broken the pledge.

bobajobrob

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:47:12 pm »
I'll join you. My wife brought a large bottle of tequilla back from Mexico and we polished it off on Friday night along with a few ales. I probably drank 3/4 of it and felt great at the time, but I posted some senseless rubbish on YACF at about 2am on Saturday morning (now edited). I really need a breathaliser on my laptop. I had a hangover that lasted most of the weekend.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2008, 10:49:37 pm »
I was already not at the bar.  There's ten kilos of unbeerbelly propped up at that not-bar and I ain't going back... :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2008, 11:22:50 pm »
The largest part of the 5+ stones I have lost over the last 2 years, back on the bike, have been in the last 12 months. As I simply haven't had the money and also really didn't fancy the pints after pints after pints, you get the drift, bit anymore. And since I have meet Peli the amount of beers I used to drink has been cut down big time. I'm not missing it at all, because I enjoy that 1-2 pints, that I get once a blue moon, so much more than before.

So see you at the bar for that ONE round.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:36:50 am »
I should but probably won't.

« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:25:26 am »
I'm with you  - nowt during the week but moderation at weekends. I've lost 4 kilos in the last month, it may not be unconnected.   

Hummers

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:34:56 am »
Thanks for the supportive threads.

It's not helped that I have borked my left knee. I'm going to have to see the physio about that as a chum wot used to play rugger thinks it's the cartilage.  :'( Still, hardly surprising seeing as my knees have had a bit of a battering over the years.

Off to the gym tonight for some moderate exrecise - no treadmill mind you.

H

Hmmmmm.

3kgs heavier than when I last ventured onto the scales.

« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:44:17 am »
I'll join you if I may.   

I monitor my weight daily (just to see trends) and I notice that a 'night out' adds a kilo over two days.  Why does it take so long???

I have managed to reduce by eight kilos in six months which I'm very pleased with.   However, it was eleven kilos a few weeks back but slipping off the regime for Easter has allowed three kilos back already.  :(

Reduce beer to one night a wek again, and stop eating chocolate and cake.

That did it before, will do so again I guess.  Goes to show how much chocolate and cake I can eat.

I have taken up swimming and dancing but I have also significantly  dropped off the miles on the bikes so I see them as replacement rather than supplementary activities.

Hummers

« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:52:10 am »
I have taken up swimming and dancing but I have also significantly  dropped off the miles on the bikes so I see them as replacement rather than supplementary activities.

Although there is no subsitute for miles on the bike (IMHO),  dancing and gym work will help retain CV fitness.

I think I over did it earlier this year and that dancing in the wrong footwear (no, not stilhetto heels either  ::-)) did for my knee.

H

« Reply #11 on: 14 April, 2008, 09:58:07 am »
I'll join you.

Partly because of antibiotics for a chest infection.
Mainly because it'd do me good to go off the booze for a while.

I think the booze intake (30-40 units a week) is the thing that's stopping me losing that final 14lbs to get me to where the charts say I should be (which I don't quite believe).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #12 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:03:23 am »

So, anyone else not going to join me for a drink at the bar?

Me. The one time I did it nearly killed me.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:15:43 am »
Personally, I'm off out to get bladdered tonight.  Fifteen pints of wife-beater and a greasy kebab.

Well, you're a poofter if you don't, aren't you?

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:35:20 am »
I was never a great drinker.Bottle of Ale a night or two perhaps three  glasses of wine with my dinner.I have watched it destroy close friends.

I gave up for Lent.Easter Sunday came and went and i still have not had a drop. O:-) I simply forgot about it.

Even with those small quantities i find it easier to keep my weight under control.

It seems it was also a migraine trigger as i have not awoken with a painful head and nausea since.

N
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

« Reply #15 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:53:37 am »
Personally, I'm off out to get bladdered tonight.  Fifteen pints of wife-beater and a greasy kebab.

Well, you're a poofter if you don't, aren't you?

:D

It's really disturbing how well that post goes with your avatar. (can't imagine Luke hammering down the shots, can you? I'm not sure he'd know where to put a kebab, fnarr, fnarr)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:22:29 am »
I might join you. I can often go for weeks without alcohol without really thinking about it, but had cocktails containing whisky at the hen weekend which I think might have done for me, I felt like absolute rubbish all day yesterday. Although the lack of sleep and dancing around til 3am prob didn't assist matters.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #17 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:32:15 am »
I've been unofficially TT for a few months now. The excuse is that I am seriously competing this year (in the 'how fast can you eat that piece of cake' time trials). The rationale being that if I am at a meeting/conference it is easier to not drink anything than to try to drink in moderation.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #18 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:34:38 am »
I've been cutting back since January, and managed nearly a month totally booze-free recently (I know, I know, this shouldn't be any sort of achievement).

Then I went out with a bunch of lawyers and had a big night out.  And the next night I had an invitation to go for a drink, and, well, it seemed silly not to given that I'd already broken my duck.  And then the following night I wasn't going to go out at all but I had a visit from these:

But I do notice a difference the next morning, even if it's only a single pint or a glass of wine.  I'm trying not to drink at all in the week, in pursuit of getting up early to go swimming - purely through vanity; I want to look buff in California in September. :D 

« Reply #19 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:12:26 pm »
You're going to California in the buff?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #20 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:15:19 pm »
No.  >:(

I want to look buff.  There be a difference. 

I suppose I could go wearing nothing but a buff... ;D

border-rider

« Reply #21 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:19:51 pm »
Ooh where abouts ?

I like California (mostly)

Fi

« Reply #22 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:21:16 pm »
I found I just cut down naturally, over a year or so.  I just didn't want to drink.  I slipped l recently when I did more than my fair share of demolishing four bottles of red wine with my niece's intended one evening.  He's noticeably far more relaxed in my company now, even when sober.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:27:19 pm »
Ooh where abouts ?

I like California (mostly)

<AOL>  One day, when I have nothing better to do, I shall ride highway 266 and 168 from US 95 to Big Pine...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:59:28 pm »
We went out for Pizza last night and then to the pub.
I amazed myself by only having a bottle of beer at the pizza joint followed by a half pint in one pub and a pint in the next pub. We were home by 2215.  :o
This is a new experience for me, although I admit it was probably made easier by being a bit tired after our first bike ride in weeks.
We don't drink during the week but we decided last night that the 'that bottle of wine was so good, let's open another one' needs to be curtailed!
I'm hoping the weight will slowly start to come off now, cos it's gone nowhere so far this year, mainly I think due to the lack of riding.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.