Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 253800 times)

Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #175 on: 15 July, 2015, 01:08:29 pm »
I like the content of Steve's email update.

Anything he says about mileage is unrealistic and barely understandable to the likes of me.

But in his terms, I think he is being realistic and has settled on an achievable plan.

It would be unwise for him to say a lot more.

In the past, I think Kurt has benefited from knowing Steve's tactics.

The email will have given Kurt something to think about, and hopefully, a little uncertainty.

If he breaks the record by, as seems likely, a thousand or two miles, he must now be thinking that won't be enough for him to hold it for very long.

« Reply #176 on: 15 July, 2015, 02:02:48 pm »
I wonder if the incessant 'breeze' in east Anglia could account for some of the slower mph average?

When I've seen him recently, I've been suprised at how steady Teethgrinder's pace has been - it's obvious that it's either the injury or the relentless mileage that is slowing him. I've barely ridden a bike this year, and I've been able to put the camera away, mount the bike and am able to catch him in half a mile or so...

...but then Steve has been well into his second century of the day.  ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #177 on: 16 July, 2015, 07:27:03 am »
In the past, I think Kurt has benefited from knowing Steve's tactics.

the tactics of knowing the average he has to put out to beat an already existing record,

or the ride more in summer than winter tactic

hardly tactics imho, just common sense

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #178 on: 16 July, 2015, 08:49:01 am »
Yes, I don't get that comment either! This isn't a direct competition where each participant needs to keep their cards close to their chest. Kurt and Steve are both trying to beat Tommy's one-year record (and the 100,000 mile record in Steve's case). They're doing it in very different environments with different kinds of support and methodology. Even though Kurt has admitted that he kept an eye on Steve's mileage in the early days (Kurt is, after all, a racer), that became irrelevant well before the accident as it became obvious that the more benign conditions Kurt enjoyed would mean a quite different strategy to achieve the miles. There are no secrets, and no need for any.

« Reply #179 on: 16 July, 2015, 09:10:32 am »
Going a bit furthur/faster than 'the other guy' is always an incentive though.

Steve is certainly consious of what Kurt is doing - last time we talked, Teethgrinder told me he though Kurt should have got more early mileage in the bank, while he had the opportunity in Florida.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #180 on: 16 July, 2015, 09:38:34 am »
Florida has its own drawbacks though, like four times the population of Wisconsin in roughly the same area. Kurt definitely suffered from too many bloody cars at times, like when he was being knocked off.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #181 on: 16 July, 2015, 09:41:20 am »
Teethgrinder told me he though Kurt should have got more early mileage in the bank, while he had the opportunity in Florida.

I think it's understandable that Kurt wouldn't start out full guns blazing if he's embarking on a totally unknown challenge, irrespective of the climate, terrain, etc.  It makes complete sense to stay within his comfort threshold for the first few months to see how the body is coping.

The advantage he has, and has had from the start, is his higher moving speed.  This gives him the scope to radically increase daily mileages as and when he deems it prudent or necessary, and his history of RAAM riding gives him the experience of doing this.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he starts chucking in some monster days now he is over half way (see Tuesday).  He has a few hours each day to play with and still get enough sleep and recovery.  At no point in the challenge has Steve had that option.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #182 on: 16 July, 2015, 10:05:57 am »
Kurt is also part of a scientific training culture. The interesting part of this endeavour is what effect the continued effort has on the blood, haemocrit levels especially.

Kurt has more time to recover, as he's largely treating it as a 12 hours a day exercise. That also gives him the option of transferring by vehicle to avoid headwinds, to delay starts and to stop when conditions are very bad.

Kurt's access to a motor-home, and the constant support of Alicia is the obvious approach to most observers. It's what you see quite regularly on the End to End route. It would be unusual not to see a motor-home parked up at lunchtime in one of the A6 lay-bys between Preston and Levens at this time of year, and that's for riders doing perhaps 200km per day.

A possible outcome is that Kurt takes the record, and a surge of patriotism flushes out another challenger, who adopts Kurt's approach as a baseline.

« Reply #183 on: 16 July, 2015, 10:35:03 am »
Yes, I don't get that comment either! This isn't a direct competition .

It is nothing other than a direct competition.

Only one person can hold the record, and we have two riders who appear capable of getting it.

Steve beating Tommy's record may mean something to the tiny audax community, but it will mean very little elsewhere if
Kurt rides further.

I see Kurt put in his longest ride to date after Steve's email was released.

Seems likely to me those two things are connected.

Kurt wants the record.

As of two days ago, all he had to realistically do is beat it.

He now needs to set a mark that Steve cannot beat in his second attempt.

The two riders are clearly in competition.

« Reply #184 on: 16 July, 2015, 10:43:36 am »
In Kurt's Day 158 fb video he refers to other 'candidates', but also 'competitors'...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #185 on: 16 July, 2015, 11:55:29 am »
I don't think there's any doubt that they see each other as competitors, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are adjusting their efforts to match, or that there is much, if any, advantage in keeping plans secret.  Let's face it, they're not going to stay secret for long.

I see Kurt put in his longest ride to date after Steve's email was released.

I think that was more to do with a massive tailwind.  I'd be very surprised if he'd even read Steve's statement by then.
The sound of one pannier flapping

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #186 on: 16 July, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »
On Jan 1st Steve can be the new record holder, even by doing less miles-per-day than Kurt.

So not really a DIRECT competition, is it?

( In fact I think he will be the new age-group record-holder - "a winner" ?!? )

I guess what I am saying is that record-breaking is different to other contests - similar to a race, yet very different.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

« Reply #187 on: 16 July, 2015, 04:20:42 pm »
Absolutely, Matt. Both riders are likely to finish the year holding age-group records under UCMA rules - there being no overall record for the distance ridden in a calendar year, as Guinness refused to recognise it. Their efforts are contemporaneous (at least for Steve's original attempt) but different in style and strategy. We (and they) won't know how they're doing relative to each other until pretty close to the end of the year because of the different weather and road conditions they have to deal with. Steve is still adamant that he'll be able to put in the big, Tommy-matching days in come August; Kurt's strategy doesn't need that. It's a competition in that the target for both is Tommy's 75k, but it's not a race. And with Steve starting a new, concurrent, attempt in August, no-one will really know how he's doing until sometime in late spring/early summer 2016.

« Reply #188 on: 17 July, 2015, 07:10:17 am »
Steve’s and Kurt’s mileages are not ‘unrealistic’, considering the muscle volume both men possess. That has been proved.
What IS mindblowing though is the small amount of R&R the two get.

To avoid fatigue, they must have four or five times the available muscle volume of ‘the likes of me’.

In this game, ultimate power takes a back stage position to sheer numbers of available muscle fibre bundles. Having said this, recruiting muscle fibres is a result of hard work, so they MUST be powerful in short distance events.

As David. G. Wilson found, power and endurance work hand-in-hand.

« Reply #189 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:33:01 am »

the age group thing is just a sideline, i doubt either of them cares for the age group record,

what they both want and what it is about, is the out and out record,

« Reply #190 on: 17 July, 2015, 11:20:11 am »
Florida has its own drawbacks though, like four times the population of Wisconsin in roughly the same area. Kurt definitely suffered from too many bloody cars at times, like when he was being knocked off.

If you watched one of his Fb videos a few weeks ago, it would be fair to say he hasn't helped himself on this one. In the video, he did a U'y in front of an oncoming car without so much as a look over his shoulder.

« Reply #191 on: 17 July, 2015, 03:42:31 pm »
Only one person can hold the record, and we have two riders who appear capable of getting it.

No true.

Both riders are competing for the UMCA record - but UMCA bands the records by age and gender. So Kurt is competing in the over 50 band, Steve is in the 49 and under.

We may regard it as just one record (whoever has ridden the furthest in 365 days), but the official record(s) will be different.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #192 on: 17 July, 2015, 04:17:16 pm »

the age group thing is just a sideline, i doubt either of them cares for the age group record,

what they both want and what it is about, is the out and out record,
Well ...
the record books are the record books. They will list Steve AND Kurt.
But I mainly agree that they would both be just as happy if the age-groups were scrapped.

However:
you're still missing the fact that all record holders get a place in history. Jens Voigt WILL be remembered as breaking the Hour Record. (In fact his ride is probably better known than all the others up-until Wiggins. But that's a mere detail ...).

Steve has explicitly stated that his aim is Tommy's figure. Do you know something we don't? :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #193 on: 21 July, 2015, 08:28:24 am »
Good to hear that Steve is starting a concurrent attempt next month. As a keen follower of those targeting Tommy's record I have to be honest and say I'm a little bit disappointed by the media streams of Steve's attempt. In comparison with Kurt with constant updates and quality videos each week, which by the way give a great insight into Kurt’s challenge and how he is going about it, Steve media efforts seems light years behind. Surely Steve team could produce at least a couple of videos each week and post  updates each week, which would generate more interest and hopefully more support for Steve.

Come on Steve!

« Reply #194 on: 22 July, 2015, 08:23:58 am »
You'll have to stay disappointed. The money is not infinite and Steve's helpers have day jobs to do while Steve is out riding.

Now if you'd consider funding me £50,000 ( a year's salary + costs ), I'd be Steve's 'Live action' cameraman.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #195 on: 22 July, 2015, 08:48:14 am »
You'll have to stay disappointed. The money is not infinite and Steve's helpers have day jobs to do while Steve is out riding.

Now if you'd consider funding me £50,000 ( a year's salary + costs ), I'd be Steve's 'Live action' cameraman.
Exactly. Those vids are basically down to 1 full-time (24x7) helper. Look how many contenders have such a person.
Steve would waste a lot of miles making/uploading films, and its just extra hassle.

Also, although I find Kurt/Alicia very likable, I very quickly bored of the videos. Whereas I read the chatter about Steve's attempt most days.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #196 on: 22 July, 2015, 09:10:12 am »
Latest from Steve on twitter
I overcooked it and have to ease right back
Taking it very easy until the restart on 8th August
#hamr #overtrained #easytiger
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

TimC

« Reply #197 on: 22 July, 2015, 09:22:46 am »
While I understand the defensiveness about Steve's supporters and the practical limits of their time, I think there has been quite a lot of concern that Steve's visible PR has been somewhat infrequent. I've been surprised that the big-name sponsors Steve has haven't put a little more effort into publicising his amazing achievements. And there's some truth in what ramchip says that more publicity would likely raise more money which could help that hard-pressed support team do more - such as hire a nutritionist and/or a coach to give some insight into his current issues.

« Reply #198 on: 22 July, 2015, 12:52:44 pm »
Looking at Jo’s chart on July 20, Steve was on his personal target until the scooter incident.
He had his nutritional needs and coaching needs adequately organised.

Steve’s top priority was/is to get the miles done and load the day’s achievements with UMCA.

A UMCA accepted restart on Aug 8th will, I am sure, get what interest has been lost, well and truly back.

There are plenty of summer days yet to picnic in Marsh Gibbon.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #199 on: 22 July, 2015, 02:57:34 pm »

Sorry but you can create cheap quality videos for a fraction of £50,000.