Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 259628 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #250 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:22:35 am »
ESPN have just done a feature on Kurt, which I think is the first coverage he's had for a while (I think Bicycling's article was the only other I've seen over there). Of course, he's not sponsored - either by industry or by donations - so media coverage is possibly irrelevant to him. Alycia's vlogs are great; amusing and interesting and they'll make a fascinating record of Kurt's year to look back on.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #251 on: 31 July, 2015, 01:40:48 pm »
TG has done what he said he was going to do - take it a little easier for a while (without grinding to a halt) and then picking up the speed again ahead of a relaunch.  He's done 34,617 miles so far, so 200mpd would take the annual total to 66,000, which is a mighty impressive total and more than anyone else apart from the other TG has managed.  And then there's the new attempt...
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #252 on: 02 August, 2015, 10:58:00 am »
When does the new attempt start  ???

Ignore that!  I've just seen that it's the 8th of August  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #253 on: 02 August, 2015, 05:05:02 pm »
Good luck TG with new launch.

Wish you the best of health.

« Reply #254 on: 03 August, 2015, 04:34:12 pm »
He isn't having a... <hushed voice>day off</hushed voice>... is he?! Or is the live tracker just down? :)

Might be good for the legs!

TimC

« Reply #255 on: 03 August, 2015, 04:37:24 pm »
I kind of hope he is - he won't get another chance for a long time!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #256 on: 03 August, 2015, 05:14:45 pm »
Blimey, looks like he just set off at about ten to five!

Maybe he's just nipping down the chippie.   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TimC

« Reply #257 on: 03 August, 2015, 05:22:01 pm »
Perhaps he's been waiting for the wind to drop? It's been pretty blustery all day out here in the East. Riding through the evening and night might be a lot more pleasant due lack of traffic, as well.

« Reply #258 on: 03 August, 2015, 09:05:38 pm »
What was his riding schedule in the last week of December 2014?

That might give us a clue.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #259 on: 04 August, 2015, 01:44:36 pm »
My recollection is that he started 1YTT with quite low pre start riding for several months - I think you can check it out on Strava.

Aug 8th is going to be a totally different kettle of fish - provided he has the mental strength to be starting now for another year - when he has already been committed for the last 7 months.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #260 on: 04 August, 2015, 09:04:41 pm »
My recollection is that he started 1YTT with quite low pre start riding for several months - I think you can check it out on Strava.

Aug 8th is going to be a totally different kettle of fish - provided he has the mental strength to be starting now for another year - when he has already been committed for the last 7 months.

very low in Dec 14 as very busy on computer from dawn to dusk (and longer then! ) getting everything in place.

couldn't agree more that 8th of August will be a very different kettle of fish. we shall just have to wait and see what transpires
good luck Steve
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #261 on: 05 August, 2015, 08:02:49 am »
First question, will there be any sort of send off for Steve on the 8th? Is he planning a 'night' or 'daytime' start?

Secondly it would be good this time if daily reports resumed and even advanced reports of the direction he might be heading in the following day would give supporters the opportunity to show up and show their support for the next twelve months. I travel a lot with work and have been disappointingly close or too early/late on a number of occasions, when I would otherwise have adjusted my schedule to suit and if nothing else add some encouragement out on the road.

It is better if reports are separated by date, otherwise the reports end up as pages and pages of endless, sometime irrelevant babble.

« Reply #262 on: 05 August, 2015, 08:19:43 am »
I definitely prefer the daily reports. Much easier to follow. Kurt's thread is just about to hit 100 pages....
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #263 on: 06 August, 2015, 09:28:08 am »
First question, will there be any sort of send off for Steve on the 8th? Is he planning a 'night' or 'daytime' start?

Secondly it would be good this time if daily reports resumed and even advanced reports of the direction he might be heading in the following day would give supporters the opportunity to show up and show their support for the next twelve months. I travel a lot with work and have been disappointingly close or too early/late on a number of occasions, when I would otherwise have adjusted my schedule to suit and if nothing else add some encouragement out on the road.

It is better if reports are separated by date, otherwise the reports end up as pages and pages of endless, sometime irrelevant babble.

I will second this.
I have holidays and would use them cycling out to see Steve ( and having a slap-up breakfast )  :thumbsup:

Maybe if a rendezvous can occur, I'll foot Steve's expense.

« Reply #264 on: 06 August, 2015, 11:04:40 am »
Ok Steve,

That is two slap up breakfasts booked, only another 364 to book!

See you down the road.

« Reply #265 on: 07 August, 2015, 05:27:11 am »
Steve enjoy your last day of pottering around keeping the legs in trim. tomorrow the action starts!
206 miles (and more when you can) every day for the next 364 days.  quite an undertaking on top of last seven months
 but we wish you fast and safe miles.   I hope that you enjoy PBP this month.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #266 on: 07 August, 2015, 05:13:39 pm »
Wot Arry-R said!

« Reply #267 on: 07 August, 2015, 08:27:21 pm »
do we need a new thread tomorrow? while renaming this one? as there is an outside chance its still on

« Reply #268 on: 07 August, 2015, 08:34:42 pm »
Good luck with this Steve we all know you can do this and do it well!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #269 on: 07 August, 2015, 08:40:44 pm »
yes new thread required for Saturday onwards as no way (but Steve please prove me wrong) is 39454 miles going to be achieved in remaining months to end of year.

:facepalm:

« Reply #270 on: 07 August, 2015, 09:18:16 pm »
That would be 272 a day....... :o

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #271 on: 07 August, 2015, 09:29:15 pm »
Go Steve!
Getting there...

« Reply #272 on: 07 August, 2015, 11:46:38 pm »
Indeed - best of luck tomorrow (and for the 364 days after that).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #273 on: 08 August, 2015, 12:34:55 am »
Has he started yet?  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #274 on: 08 August, 2015, 05:40:45 am »
Doesn't look like to on Trackleaders yet, but is there going to be new page for the new attempt?