Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 252717 times)

Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #400 on: 14 September, 2015, 12:36:12 pm »
:thumbsup:

‘Uniformed Lawmen Energy Vampires’

Being stopped by the police.

‘Paralytic Zombie Energy Vampires’.

Drunkards in the road.

« Reply #401 on: 14 September, 2015, 04:04:13 pm »
I'd just like to know who really is in charge of this record attempt?

Is Steve just winging it on  his own, with the occasional bit of home support from his pals in MK?
If so... fine... that may well work for Steve to just keep it as uncomplicated by others as possible.
But to maintain the charade that there is a 'crew' with a 'crew chief' implies there's some kind of organization, when in fact very little appears to be happening.

But, I can well understand why a host system would not be a good option... as a rando it's way faster just to crash at hotels than to show up at people's houses and be a guest. Chatting takes time away from sleep, and is very appealing after being alone all day. It's hard for both cyclist and host to resist!

But... I think it's time for this 'team' to show themselves and explain what it is they are really doing for Steve. Particularly the crew chief. We've seen no signs of participation/help happening from that quarter.  ???

« Reply #402 on: 14 September, 2015, 04:35:37 pm »

But, I can well understand why a host system would not be a good option... as a rando it's way faster just to crash at hotels than to show up at people's houses and be a guest. Chatting takes time away from sleep, and is very appealing after being alone all day. It's hard for both cyclist and host to resist!

On the other hand the advantage of being hosted is that the host can upload data, sort out the bike and recharge batteries etc for the next day. Otherwise Steve has to do it himself when he could be eating, washing, sleeping etc.  So swings and roundabouts...
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #403 on: 14 September, 2015, 04:45:44 pm »
A host should:
  • have exactly the food that Steve wants ready for him when he arrives
  • do the bike checking/fettling thing
  • charge things up
  • upload data
  • make sure Steve gets up and out the door irrespective of how tired he is (was a specific instruction for the first hosts)
  • cooks breakfast of Steve-approved things
  • supply a pound or two of cooked sausages wrapped for in-ride fuelling

A good host should be much better than a random h/motel
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #404 on: 14 September, 2015, 05:14:06 pm »
If the team was functioning as ideally as we'd all like, Steve would never have to venture on any forum, nor answer any emails, or be responsible for anything other than riding the bike. That's probably a bit much to hope for given that I'm sure the team have their own lives to lead, and I'm pretty sure they're not able to be available 24/7 as Alicia is with Kurt. It would seem the bikes are getting serviced, so that's one major thing off Steve's mind, and Roger leads us to believe that money isn't currently a worry. I can totally see why road hotels are better than hosts in that there need be no prearrangement, which may be a bigger factor in Steve's daily routing decisions than getting someone else to do uploads, wash kit and provide sausages. I'd love to see someone providing a blog-style commentary, but that's a big commitment and would need perhaps unwelcome intrusion into Steve's bubble.

We're very fortunate here on YACF that we have Jo's excellent visualisations and Steve's occasional direct comms (which are worth their weight in gold!) to help us keep up with progress. It would be good to see a little more movement on the website and FB pages, but if it can't be, so be it. The thirst for information is understandable because the challenge is fascinating and literally awesome, and we've been spoiled a bit by Alicia's communications about Kurt which probably fit more neatly into the way we like to consume news these days. I know I've been a bit critical in the past, and I will continue to wish for a better PR effort on Steve's behalf, but the important thing is he can get out there every day and do what he does. If things off the bike start to affect the riding, then I'm sure there will be more of us who can step up and help in some small way.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #405 on: 14 September, 2015, 05:27:55 pm »
Yes, quite a few of us could step up and help but that can't happen unless Steve or his crew actually communicate and maybe even ask for some assistance. I don't see that happening, as it stands.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

TimC

« Reply #406 on: 14 September, 2015, 05:30:59 pm »
Yes, for whatever reason and as Roger has alluded, YACF isn't held in high regard by (some of) Steve's team, so I guess we won't get that call unless Steve makes it himself. Which I'm sure he would do if he felt it was necessary.

« Reply #407 on: 14 September, 2015, 08:06:36 pm »
YACF isn't held in high regard by (some of) Steve's team,

For those of us following on a daily basis, it is largely our main form of update. Can anyone explain why YACF is looked down upon by some of the team?

« Reply #408 on: 14 September, 2015, 08:57:51 pm »
Interesting question.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

TimC

« Reply #409 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:31:49 pm »
YACF isn't held in high regard by (some of) Steve's team,

For those of us following on a daily basis, it is largely our main form of update. Can anyone explain why YACF is looked down upon by some of the team?

Well, I've nothing to do with any of them so I've no idea - I'm only going on what Roger has said. But I did wonder if there's a feeling that YACF has kind of adopted Steve and his quest - which is not surprising as he's a prominent AUK and so many of his fellow AUK luminaries are prolific contributors here, and from the time when Steve first proposed the idea here, it's been seen by us at YACF as a family thing. Maybe the team felt we were stepping on their toes?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #410 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:43:55 pm »
IIRC, although Steve has been aware of this record for a long time, it was a post by Hellymedic, closely followed by others, that encouraged Steve in his pursuit of this particular eccentricity. My impression was that, although it had been in his mind for some time, it was on YACF that the Word was made Flesh.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #411 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:52:47 pm »
I have followed Kurt and Steve and there is a humour in what Kurt posts, even some self mocking. The coverage Steve has had is very factual, to the point and earnest. When you are just reporting facts on a one year bike ride it can get a little repetitive. I want Steve to get the record, but over time I have warmed to Kurt. If I was doing some coverage I would attempt to do something slightly different rather than just factual and going on about time and miles. If we face the truth how many straight forward mileage reports will interest people? I do not just mean us cycling geeks but other people. I have nothing to tell these people about what riding a bike is like and why I love riding my bike overnight, but interesting stories about breakdowns, punctures or some people who have helped him and some stories.

I feel a sort of belonging to Steve's attempt and YACF has helped in this. If there is an anti YACF feeling in the team I hope it goes away and they feel the love from the assembled random ranks of cyclists that form the loose community of YACF.

So some coverage with something a little different from time to time. Please  :thumbsup:

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #412 on: 14 September, 2015, 10:09:48 pm »
1.  Steve is doing what Steve wants to do.
2.  Steve is not Kurt.  He is STEVE
3.  I bet that some mornings Steve doesn't even know himself exactly what the plan of the day is.

1.  Not for us or anyone else.
2.  And we love him
3.  As an ex random anarchic tourer I totally understand this.  Who needs pressure?  Adaptability is the name of the game.

In Steve we trust.

GO STEVE.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #413 on: 14 September, 2015, 10:53:05 pm »
 :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #414 on: 16 September, 2015, 09:31:44 am »
Lack of media coverage is sort of deliberate.
Those interviews with the press are a lot of work to plan and if done very well will cost at least 10 miles.
I can't afford to throw that kind of mileage away.
It can only be done on the road with a cycling journalist who rides with me (which has been done twice)
An accompanying motor vehicle would need to comply with UMCA rules or risk getting me disqualified and there is a lot of hassle there.
Simply put, talking costs miles.

After the event, in August next year, everyone can have what they want from me. I'll be out of work so will have time for interviews etc. But now is the time for me to keep riding.

There should be a short film out soon from last night. Even that meant a late start today. Today will be a strategicaly low mileage. Yesterday was pretty good in good conditions but the wind is going to make things tricky today.
Even that short film took a lot of work. My going away for the weekend stuffed up the original plans but I had to do it to get the best mileage I could.

Travelodging seems to be better than hosting. It opens up my options a lot more so I can use the best roads for the wind conditions rather than have to do loops into headwinds etc

Mileage 20 miles up on last week and those 20 miles were done with 20 minutes more riding time, so must be getting faster too, though the last 2 days were very good conditions.
Current aim is to build up on what I am doing I expect it to happen very slowly.
Still have the post PBP lurking in the background too so I still need to be a bit carefull.

Brilliant stuff Steve, good to hear an update of the riding and also some explanation of the situation which clarifies a lot of stuff.  Also the great interview with Idai, brilliant!  :thumbsup:

Yes, quite a few of us could step up and help but that can't happen unless Steve or his crew actually communicate and maybe even ask for some assistance. I don't see that happening, as it stands.

I don't usually agree with the Antipodean, but he is right

All the team have to do is ask.  There are loads of us on Social Media happy to post round snippets of info from the team.  The brilliant interview from Idai that has just been posted is fabulous, and great work from both.  You can see how it ate into Steve's time for the day though and it's totally understandable why this kind of intensive interview is a rare thing.  A monthly or weekly update from the team just regarding Steve and how he is/what he needs etc could be written up in a few lines after someone speaking to Leslie and the others without having to interfere with Steve's schedule in any way.  Just an idea. 

As for energy vampires etc - if the elephant in the room doesn't get mentioned it tends to get bigger and bigger until it suffocates everything or explodes in a right mess, and that is the biggest energy vampire of all. 
Does not play well with others

« Reply #415 on: 16 September, 2015, 10:47:08 am »
1.  Steve is doing what Steve wants to do.
2.  Steve is not Kurt.  He is STEVE
3.  I bet that some mornings Steve doesn't even know himself exactly what the plan of the day is.

1.  Not for us or anyone else.
2.  And we love him
3.  As an ex random anarchic tourer I totally understand this.  Who needs pressure?  Adaptability is the name of the game.

In Steve we trust.

GO STEVE.
Lovely post, Basil.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #416 on: 23 September, 2015, 07:45:26 am »
Looking at Kurt's steady progress towards the record I think there is a benefit in the two record attempts (Steve and Kurt) becoming decoupled by several months.  If they really were neck and neck I think there would be a lot of pressure to "do a few extra miles" each day.  But there seems to be a very fine balance at 200+ miles per day about what you can do and what becomes too much.  The cost of having a bad day (and losing 100 miles) is too high.  So by being back to an independent basis they are both free to ride as they wish, which I think will mean they both get to the best mileage they can.  Chapeau to both of them.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

red marley

« Reply #417 on: 23 September, 2015, 08:22:51 am »
I think that's a good point. While it might have made good spectator sport for us, it would have put some serious extra pressure on Steve and Kurt had they been neck and neck. The situation (that they've managed to avoid) is reminiscent of the apparent truce in using extra support between Tommy Godwin and Bernard Bennett in the summer of 1939 to prevent the continuation of unhealthy daily distances.

« Reply #418 on: 08 October, 2015, 12:38:52 pm »
It's probably been covered already (apologies if so, not a religious follower of the forum!), but it's occurred to me that next year is a leap year....I assume the HAMR is for a 365 day period, rather than Steve having come up with a cunning way to squeeze and extra day's riding into his record attempt? ;-)

« Reply #419 on: 08 October, 2015, 12:50:23 pm »
Yes, hamr is for a 365 consecutive day period.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

red marley

« Reply #420 on: 08 October, 2015, 03:46:44 pm »
Indeed, 365 days for the HAM'R, although, as Citizen Fish no doubt can confirm, I believe for some of the historical records that were achieved in leap years (Authur Humbles, 1932; Walter Greaves, 1936), the full 366 days of the leap year were counted. However, in both cases, the riders started a few days late in January, so in fact both rode for fewer than 365 days.

« Reply #421 on: 08 October, 2015, 06:21:28 pm »

« Reply #422 on: 08 October, 2015, 08:31:21 pm »
Indeed, 365 days for the HAM'R, although, as Citizen Fish no doubt can confirm, I believe for some of the historical records that were achieved in leap years (Authur Humbles, 1932; Walter Greaves, 1936), the full 366 days of the leap year were counted. However, in both cases, the riders started a few days late in January, so in fact both rode for fewer than 365 days.

True, Greaves also missed a fortnight due to injury.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #423 on: 17 October, 2015, 10:05:24 am »
I really like the "title as comment" stuff that the Strava rides show. Before it was "Morning ride. Morning ride. Morning ride."  Now we get a snippet of what's going on: "Pretty strong wind from the north today" for Wenesday, "Another late start and a good steady ride." for Thursday and "Good day's ride. The route worked well. Got up earlier than usual and could have done more but decided to save my strength for a better day when I won't have to fight the wind so much." for Friday.   Excellent.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #424 on: 17 October, 2015, 10:27:40 am »
Thanks for highlighting that Tim  :thumbsup:  I haven't signed in for ages but shall put that back on the daily ritual.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.