Author Topic: Suggestions - Pudding for 12?  (Read 1520 times)

Suggestions - Pudding for 12?
« on: 13 December, 2012, 11:38:36 am »
Cooking an early xmas meal for 12, I have a Christmas pudding, looking for an idea for additional dessert, lightish, easy.

Any thoughts?

Re: Suggestions - Pudding for 12?
« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2012, 11:45:38 am »
pavlova / eton mess.  Meringue + cream + fruit + flaked nuts. 

Gorgeous with any dessert wine or indescribably good with raspberry dessert wine (if you can find it - I cant find any online)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2012, 11:48:02 am »
If children are involved, make an ice cream pie, base as per cheesecake, topping just softened ice cream spread over then placed back in freezer until just before needed.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2012, 11:50:08 am »
....indescribably good with raspberry dessert wine (if you can find it - I cant find any online)

<Casts an eye furtively in the direction of his own cellar and whistles innocently>

They might just get the Baumes de Venise, tbh.

Peche de Vigne would do well, too.

« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2012, 11:52:02 am »
If children are involved, make an ice cream pie, base as per cheesecake, topping just softened ice cream spread over then placed back in freezer until just before needed.

No, youngest is 17, plus anything to do with Ice cream/sorbet will end up with me faffing around making it which is counter aggro. Unfortunately I have very little time to chuck together as I have to visit Coventry same weekend.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 13 December, 2012, 01:24:25 pm »
Tiramisu. Trifle. Jelly and icecream. Or posh jellies - champagne or gin or wine jellies.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 13 December, 2012, 01:26:27 pm »
Going OT, this reminds me I need to organise things for our Xmas dinner, I am cooking this year (have managed to avoid it for the last 3 or 4 years, well since Australia when I cooked Xmas dinner on Xmas Eve and we ate it in the cabana in the garden in the evening!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #7 on: 13 December, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »
Boodles' orange fool:

Trifle sponges - 1 box
Oranges - 4
Lemons - 2
Cream - 1 pint (or 50:50 cream:yoghurt or other dairy product)
Sugar - 2-4 oz

Proportions are not critical, in particular sugar.  Start low and add to taste.  Use unwaxed fruit.  You might want to increase the overall quantities for 12.

• Cut the trifle sponges up and put into a large bowl.
  • Zest half the fruit and juice all of it. 
  • Mix the juice, zest sugar and cream well together (electric beater is good for this) - the result looks a bit like off-white, slightly lumpy, emulsion paint, but tastes a lot better.
  • Pour the wet mixture over the sponges and mix together so that the sponges are coated in the mixture.
  • Cover and put in the fridge for 3 hours or so (longer is fine)

What should happen is that the trifle sponges suck some of the juice back out of the wet mixture, which then becomes quite thick.  You might also want to tart up the appearance of this, as on its own it looks a bit dull (to frankly unappetising).  Taste-wise it's a winner.

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 13 December, 2012, 02:12:55 pm »
Pudding for 12?

That's big so be careful.  Fred Astaire dropped one that big and ended up with Pudding on his Top-Hat, pudding on his white-tie and pudding on his tails.

« Reply #9 on: 13 December, 2012, 03:02:54 pm »
Chez Famille boab generally the non-christmas pudding is chocolate. Mousse in previous years, but given Mr Smith's reaction to it pre-BCM (several days vomiting and nausea) it'll more likely be a roulade.
Chocolate roulade filled with raspberries and cream.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTO6U9BWq0A

rr

« Reply #10 on: 13 December, 2012, 03:11:13 pm »
Fill a dish with chocolate chip biscuits. 1layer side on like they are in the pack, dowse them in sherry and/or coffee, cover with whipped cream decorate with chocolate and enjoy .

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11 on: 13 December, 2012, 03:25:48 pm »

You might also want to tart up the appearance of this, as on its own it looks a bit dull (to frankly unappetising). 
That's what hundreds & thousands are for!

« Reply #12 on: 13 December, 2012, 03:33:22 pm »
Another vote for trifle. Sufficient alcohol stops the jelly setting rigid (assuming you use jelly with the sponge layer), and the custard can be made light too - or indeed poured from a carton for expediancy - before topping with the whipped cream/nuts/sprinkles etc.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #13 on: 13 December, 2012, 05:36:28 pm »
Mixed berries topped with yoghurt is what I'd do. Simple, quick and easy. It's light, cleanes the palate and is perfect for after a heavy dinner.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #14 on: 13 December, 2012, 06:42:06 pm »
Berries imported in December are horrible though.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #15 on: 13 December, 2012, 06:54:43 pm »
Tinned strawberries work well in trifle (if you like tinned strawberries).  Include plenty of cake (unlike shop trifles that never have enough cake in them).  Doesn't need booze to be nice.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #16 on: 13 December, 2012, 07:18:19 pm »
....frozen berries are good, though

« Reply #17 on: 14 December, 2012, 09:47:09 am »
I'd use frozen mixed berries (including cherries), plenty of sponge cake (victoria sponge with strawberry jam) AND alcohol. But that's just me.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)