Author Topic: Classical Pianist - Simon Trpceski  (Read 1287 times)

Classical Pianist - Simon Trpceski
« on: 27 April, 2008, 10:08:19 pm »
Last night I was in the cheap seats at the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic to soak up some of that culcha stuff us scousers are celebrating this year....

The "Phil" have been having a renaissance under their new conductor,Vasily Petrenkohttp://www.liverpoolphil.com/content/abouttheorchestra/VasilyPetrenko.aspx
and with a program of Russian music he was on home ground.

The evenings second piece was Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No 3, performed by Simon Trpceski, the 29 year old Macedonian.  Prokoviev is not really my cup of tea, but Simon performed it superbly and it was well received by the audience. This was the 2nd time I've seen him perform and if you get the chance to see him I'd recommend you do.

Some clips <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xAE6V_7fbzo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/xAE6V_7fbzo&rel=1</a>

Finale of the evening was Shostakovich No 5 which earned conductor & orchestra huge applause.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Classical Pianist - Simon Trpceski
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:14:14 pm »
Sounds like a good concert.  When I was at college 20+ years ago Prokofiev piano music was an absolute staple - sonatas and concertos, at Peter Donahoe concerts for example.  I couldn't get a very good impression of Simon T from YouTube but perhaps I thought he lacked passion and sparkle, or perhaps I've just had a bad day.

We're doing Shosti 5 with the local orchestra - I know he's unilaterally popular but I really dislike it, I just think "Why??"  It's like he's saying "I had a really hard time under Stalin and I portray it in my music" and everyone else says "Wow!  He had a really hard time under Stalin and he's portraying it in his music!!" but I just think "WTF?"  I enjoyed a composition piece by a postgrad friend recently more than that stuff.

Re: Classical Pianist - Simon Trpceski
« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2008, 10:28:58 pm »
The music critic in the local paper obviously didn't like the Prokofiev, he didn't even mention it!

"THERE could be little doubt that this concert was going to be an all-guns-blazing affair.

Combine conductor Vasily Petrenko with Rachmaninov, Prokofiev and Shostakovich, and the Royal Liverpool Phil- harmonic’s new-found role as an ambassador for Russian music was sure to be confirmed.

The highlight had to be a searing performance of Shostakovich’s iconic Fifth Symphony. From the intense, slow opening with hugely subtle pianissimo moments, Petrenko worked the movement into a furious melee.

That fury was hardly less apparent in the second movement, the somewhat satanic dance, yet the centre point of this performance had to be the brooding and massively intense slow movement in which there were some quite magical moments. Here, the various soloists within the orchestra – the harp in particular – were outstanding in what must be one of Shostakovich’s most poignant and intro- verted slow movements.

The fast-moving, almost breathless finale brought the piece to a sparkling conclusion.

The concert opened with Rachmaninov’s mysterious tone poem, The Isle of the Dead. Again, Petrenko worked this up to a huge climax with some spectacular woodwind moments along the way.

This concert was vintage RLPO and, if it’s not too early to say, vintage Petrenko. It’s a partnership which is obviously paying dividends and the fact the performers really seemed to be enjoying themselves really said it all."
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark