Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284563 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Just watched this.  They included Rudi & the Radiators From Space (neither of whom even get an entry in my 1996 edition of "Rock: The Rough Guide") and left out SLF.  Right.

That noise you can hear is Jake Burns sharpening his stabby things.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
No Horslips, either, I am given to understand.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Never mind silly old Clarkson, this is the big story: X-Files to return.

Yay!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I just filled in a survey asking which departure of a band member upset me the most, with a list of options including Robbie/Take That, Geri/Spice Girls, Zayn/Wand Erection, various Sugababes etc. So I clicked "other" and put "when Ronnie Wood left the Faces."
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
I just filled in a survey asking which departure of a band member upset me the most, with a list of options including Robbie/Take That, Geri/Spice Girls, Zayn/Wand Erection, various Sugababes etc. So I clicked "other" and put "when Ronnie Wood left the Faces."

Did it have "When Fish left Marillion?"

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Damn, I should have put that.  ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Wot no Eno leaving Roxy option?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I wouldn't be able to pick one out of these:

Shutty leaving Terrorvision
Kurt leaving Nirvana
Fish leaving MArillion (as mentioned above)
Johnny Marr leaving, well just about every single band he has played in.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
I wouldn't be able to pick one out of these:

Shutty leaving Terrorvision
Kurt leaving Nirvana
Fish leaving MArillion (as mentioned above)
Johnny Marr leaving, well just about every single band he has played in.

Donny Munro leaving Runrig...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Elvis leaving The Building?

My coat? The white one with rhinestones.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Lemmy "leaving" Hawkwind.

red marley

The Fall leaving Mark E Smith?

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
The older I get, the funnier Ed Reardon (R4) gets....  Ping, his Sloaney non-assistant, on a 30-years on commemoration gig for the miners' strike:

Oh yah, that's like totes gradely

For a show now in its 9th series the standard of writing has stayed astonishingly high IMHO.

citoyen

Discussing Mike Leigh with my son this evening has made me want to watch Naked again. Reading some of the lines quoted on imdb, it seems to be a lot funnier than I remember it.

I went to see it in the cinema three times within the first two weeks of its release. That probably says more about the place I was at, mentally speaking, at the time than it says about the film itself.

Suffice to say, though, it made quite an impression on me. David Thewlis is totally mesmerising.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Jimmy Somerville was on Loose Ends today and facebook has a clip of him doing an acoustic version of Small Town Boy and it's spine-chillingly gorgeous.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Discussing Mike Leigh with my son this evening has made me want to watch Naked again. Reading some of the lines quoted on imdb, it seems to be a lot funnier than I remember it.

I went to see it in the cinema three times within the first two weeks of its release. That probably says more about the place I was at, mentally speaking, at the time than it says about the film itself.

Suffice to say, though, it made quite an impression on me. David Thewlis is totally mesmerising.

It was the first time I can remember seeing Thewlis perform. Superb.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

The older I get, the funnier Ed Reardon (R4) gets....  Ping, his Sloaney non-assistant, on a 30-years on commemoration gig for the miners' strike:

Oh yah, that's like totes gradely

Definitely.  There's a huge parallel between Ed Reardon and Tony Hancock for me.  They just moan all the time and nearly everything they say is spot-on!  I didn't hear that Ping bit bit will look out for the repeat.  This is from someone who did a benefit gig for that very strike!

Call for voting assistance, in the spirit of this sociable Internet world.

There's a people's choice for short film here http://www.reed.co.uk/film, any votes for Baklava would be appreciated (one of the actors is a close friend)

Having looked at a few, while the quality is generally good, in my biased view Baklava is one of the better ones

citoyen

How much of a ponce am I? Well, I went to an immersive visual art/contemporary dance performance this evening.

Specifically, this one: https://www.turnercontemporary.org/whats-on/00000001476/maze

It was BRILLIANT.

I wasn't sure what to expect and tbh was slightly skeptical beforehand, but it totally won me over. The performances were captivating - the cast put a lot of energy into it, and their technical ability was seriously impressive. I know they spend a lot of time on choreography for these things but the degree of perfection in timing and co-ordination they showed takes a huge amount of skill.

And then you have to factor in the unpredictability of the audience... when they say 'immersive' they really mean 'immersive' - you have to be prepared to get involved, and how the individual members of the audience react to a large extent dictates the course of the performance. I was quite into it (dancing, body art with marker pens, that kind of thing), but I was intrigued by a somewhat unnerving confrontation between one of the cast and another member of the audience.

It was saved from becoming pretentious arty bollocks by all the elements being thematically linked and woven loosely around a proper narrative thread.

Highly recommended. Only on for another few days but well worth the trip to Margate.

Blogger review: http://www.cassyfry.com/2015/04/maze-margate.html/

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Next weekend, citoyen tells the story of the Seige of Leningrad through the medium of interpretive dance ;D

citoyen

I'm thinking of giving up the day job so I can join Legz Akimbo.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Well that is it - the last of Bluestone 42.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Oh dear.

I am on hold for a conf call.

The hold music sound familiar, albeit in Muzak format.

As it reaches a crescendo, I realise why.  It's a bad take on "Reward" by Teardrop Explodes.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State