Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286476 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Dear wife, if you insist on working from home, you need to understand that late Friday afternoon is my Sing Along With Taylor Swift time.

Ignore her, Ian. Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

ian

Yeah, Larrers, don't be a hater. Cue up Haunted or Shake it Out and just let it all out. Even better, Amazon Music now comes with the all the lyrics, Karaoke style.

This is why I own a detached house.

It's also why I can't go to certain bars in Boca Raton ever again.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Yeah, Larrers, don't be a hater. Cue up Haunted or Shake it Out and just let it all out. Even better, Amazon Music now comes with the all the lyrics, Karaoke style.

See comment upthread re Stairway To Heaven.

This is why I own a detached house.

It's also why I can't go to certain bars in Boca Raton ever again.

Pffft.  With Larrington Towers surrounded by a Several of acres of parkland1 I can perfect my Bon Scott impression in the garden, although not in this weather, or with the off-licence abuse that traditionally accompanies such hi-jinks.

I cannot think of any valid reason to go to Boca Raton.  It's where the IBM PC was invented, y'know2.

1: Lie
2: Not Lie
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
BBC, ninety seconds does not constitute an episode of "QI", still less an episode of "QI XL".  And for what?  Fucking snooker.

Never mind, it'll be on iPlayer, won't it?  No.  No, it is not.  May a Mighty Rushing Wind blow down your houses and destroy your insurance paperwork >:(

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
BBC, ninety seconds does not constitute an episode of "QI", still less an episode of "QI XL".  And for what?  Fucking snooker.

Never mind, it'll be on iPlayer, won't it?  No.  No, it is not.  May a Mighty Rushing Wind blow down your houses and destroy your insurance paperwork >:(
It was an old one (k) anyway.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
R3 has just paused to let us hear the sound of Tromso. No music, no speech, just ambient sound of the city. Can you imagine any other radio station doing that? No. Especially not Classic FM. Case settled.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Hurrah: the Nice Man in my local Waterstones still remembers me; also they are selling the Adult Ladybird books for e.g. "The Ladybird Book of The Hipster / The Hangover / The Mid-Life Crisis".  Though not, at £6.99 a pop, to mee.

Bah: They didn't have "And On That Bombshell" by Richard Porter, the evil genius behind Sniff Petrol.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35058761
GCHQ competition
 Can't get past stage one as it needs a smartphone for the next stage.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Ruthie

• Her Majester
These perfume ads get more ridiculous and obscure every year.  I mean, who wears Chanel when they go surfing?  And is he shagging someone else or what?  Bastard.  If he is, that is, because who can tell.  I mean, he's got a kid, which makes him utter scum, but only if he is a home-breaking adulterer, because perfume ads.
Milk please, no sugar.

Chris S

These perfume ads get more ridiculous and obscure every year.  I mean, who wears Chanel when they go surfing?  And is he shagging someone else or what?  Bastard.  If he is, that is, because who can tell.  I mean, he's got a kid, which makes him utter scum, but only if he is a home-breaking adulterer, because perfume ads.

Or you could turn the sound off and go make a cuppa.  :D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
This is why we record everything - so we can fast forward through the adverts
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Are you sure it wasn't Carling?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Dear middle-aged women,

Please stop believing all that "age-defying", "Fountain of youth", pseudo-science bullshit from the make-up companies.

Ask yourself, how many Nobel prize winning scientists got their award whilst working at Laboratoire Garnier?

The reason the model doesn't have wrinkles any more is because she's about 20 and hasn't had her first one yet.

See Also - Ring Flash lighting techniques.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Does anyone actually believe it anyway?

I know they believe we believe it or they wouldn't make up words that sound scientific, but in my experience women (and an increasing number of men) buy such products because they need moisturiser and find one they like, or smells nice, or feels nice.

I've never met anyone who watches a TV advert and decides because the latest product from Laboratoire Garnier contains neverheardofinthescientificcommunityicide think 'ooh I must try that'

Advertising executives are made in a box and aren't allowed into the real world IMHO
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Dear middle-aged women,

'Middle-aged women' are no more susceptible to marketing than any other arbitrary age/gender group.

Try changing the word 'women' in your post to 'men', and 'Laboratoire Garnier' to 'Pinarello'...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Dear middle-aged women,

'Middle-aged women' are no more susceptible to marketing than any other arbitrary age/gender group.

Try changing the word 'women' in your post to 'men', and 'Laboratoire Garnier' to 'Pinarello'...

Can't help feel you missed the obvious R*pha parallel.

The most striking visual feature of this season’s R*PHA collection is the Data Print, a collaboration that creates graphic art from the science of modern road racing. London-based design studio "Laboratoire Saw-U-Coming" used the ride data from the three weeks of a Team R*PHA rider’s grand tour to produce a unique graphic. Charting the story of each stage, the resulting print is made up of precisely scaled chevrons mapping the rider’s distance, elevation gain and effort.

Amazingly most of that is word for word (I may have made up the name of the design studio ...but nothing else).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

citoyen

Can't help feel you missed the obvious R*pha parallel.

I enjoyed Rapha's hospitality at the launch event for the data print stuff. That's all I'm saying.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Dear middle-aged women,

I thought they were (or, more accurately, as a demographic they spend the most money on the kind of products where buying decisions are most easily influenced by marketing), which is why so much marketing is directed at them.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Congratulations to UCL Rutherford who, on last night's Christmas University Challenge, identified the narrator of a recording of "Peter And The Wolf" as Toxteth O'Grady.

Pity it was wrong.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Perfume ads:

I think there was a meeting at the Actors and Proper Creadive Types Union about selling your soul to advertisers;
it was decided that perfume ads are sooooo ludicrous, it is acceptable to appear in them without universal condemnation from ones peers.

If not, Mr Depp has made a grave misjudgement ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
It is a given that all 21st century cop shows have a resident copper who is versed in the arts of Hollywood-OSTM and can track a phone or determine a Babbage-Engine's location from its IP address in mere seconds.  However, if he's called "Benny Silver" he should be recognisably Jewish.  He should not have a Norn Iron accent that can open a bottle of Bushmills at forty paces, and certainly should not be Tyres O'Flaherty thinly disguised inside a beard and a badly-fitting suit.

citoyen

Congratulations to UCL Rutherford who, on last night's Christmas University Challenge, identified the narrator of a recording of "Peter And The Wolf" as Toxteth O'Grady.

Pity it was wrong.

Finally caught up with that today. Amusing. The real pity is that he didn't give the answer as 'Toxteth O'Grady, USA' but well done him anyway.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Top 10 modern medieval tales

"From George RR Martin to Umberto Eco, many writers have been inspired by stories of the middle ages. Here are some of the best"

No, wait!  Come back!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

Pity it was wrong.

Finally caught up with that today. Amusing. The real pity is that he didn't give the answer as 'Toxteth O'Grady, USA' but well done him anyway.

I think Magdalen Berlin rather fancies Magdalen Theroux :D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
This week's Silent Witness is:
  • a Rubbish, and
  • chock-full of dead TV Detective Sergeants
:-X