Author Topic: Allotment shed security  (Read 1707 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Allotment shed security
« on: 13 December, 2008, 01:18:58 pm »
We all had a break in last weekend. Nothing taken from my place as I only keep the odd shovel and plant pot there, but the lock is bust off damaging the door in the process.

About 20 other sheds affected - some had the doors torn off, next door plot had massive bolt ripped off but oddly enough nothing taken.

Not sure what to do - first thoughts were buying a mantrap from ebay or a selection of car batteries and wire them up to the shed handle, but sense has prevailed. Is it really worth locking the thing up at all? To much security might just make it look like you have something worth nicking and probably result in more damage, to little and you get people breaking in and sleeping in there [so i've been told]
A shitter and a giggler.

Re: Allotment shed security
« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2008, 01:29:17 pm »
I gave up locking my shed, and put nothing of any value in it.   I'd sometimes roll up to find the door open but they got to know there was nothing to have in the end. 

Si

« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2008, 02:54:58 pm »
Few people on my site bother locking the sheds.  Like you, those that tried it often found the locks ripped off but nothing stolen.

I leave half my tools on the plot, under a tarp if I remember to cover them, otherwise just stuck in the ground.  Not had any taken yet.  Seems that some of the many intruders that we get see any form of security as a personal challenge, like flies to do-dar!

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2008, 08:05:10 pm »
The best system that I've seen is a buried plastic toolchest under a couple of pallets.  A scruffy garden bench was put on the pallets, and indeed could be used by the lottie holder to sit on and drink his tea.

I've also heard of people using a plastic dalek compost bin as a handy hiding place.