Author Topic: herbs etc for South-facing bed  (Read 1658 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
herbs etc for South-facing bed
« on: 30 March, 2009, 03:14:11 pm »
There's a narrow bed along the South Wing of Woofage Towers that needs replanting. As well as being a sunny position, it is very dry as part of it is sheltered by eaves and therefore doesn't get much direct rain. We're going to plant some rosemary and lavender, maybe some thyme, but I'd like suggestions of other plants we could grow in such a position. Fragrant plants would be welcome as our lounge has 2 windows in the wall along part of that border. BTW, low-maintenance would be good ;).
Pen Pusher

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: herbs etc for South-facing bed
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2009, 03:17:19 pm »
The three you mentioned are good, all being Mediterranean plants, maybe some chamomile for ground cover and scent? Bay for the fish dishes?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2009, 04:41:56 pm »
Sages, mints, fennel. And do what my wife does with the lavender. Strips the flowers off and puts them in a bowl on a sunny widowsill. Also makes up lavender bags for under her pillow.

You could also try a lemon or a peach. Or a vine.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2009, 04:47:17 pm »
Potentillas thrive on dry and neglect - though I've a feeling they favour chalky soils.  We had a lovely one in the front of Former Volio towers - it was yellow, and flowered from spring to autumn non-stop

Not a herb, but very pretty

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2009, 04:50:04 pm »
You'd better have some parsley for the full "Scarborough Fair" collection  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2009, 07:27:17 pm »
If you're going to grow mint put it in a pot and sink that in the bed. Mint is a complete thug and will take over the bed given the chance.

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2009, 12:54:41 pm »
Oh, I thought what the hell does a bed need herbs for if it faces South?

Mine faces West. Is that OK?
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2009, 12:46:01 pm »
You'd better have some parsley for the full "Scarborough Fair" collection  ;D

Parsley needs wet ground to germinate so it might require a bit of fuss

How about doing some Basil in pots?  The hotter the better for Basil.  It's only an annual though

« Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2009, 12:53:14 pm »
We've got a thin-soiled very sunny herb bed.  Things that have done well as well as the obvious lavender and rosemary are lemon balm, marjoram and oregano.  Also chives seem to do well there, as well as garlic.  Feverfew is a nice herb - pretty flowers and you can use the leaves as a herb as they taste a bit like oregano.  Also supposed to be a folk cure for colds/flu (hence the name).  Strangely, thyme didn't do so well in this particular bed.
Spinning, but not cycling...