Author Topic: garmin 800 not reading SD card  (Read 3539 times)

garmin 800 not reading SD card
« on: 04 September, 2018, 09:40:56 am »
I've formatted and tried three different SD cards, and also reformatted the unit.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Re: garmin 800 not reading SD card
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2018, 10:37:16 am »
Will be watching this thread! Have been unable to update my 800 Touring since last year because it stopped recognising the SD card, so claims it doesn't have enough space for the maps.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2018, 11:26:22 am »
Is there an option to choose to be prompted for Mass Storage or Garmin mode when USBing as there is in the eTrex?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2018, 01:13:02 pm »
Formatted as FAT32 ??
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2018, 02:51:46 pm »
Pingu - no
FF - yes

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2018, 05:14:28 pm »
Memory cards are 32Gb or less?

« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2018, 10:30:41 pm »
Yes

« Reply #7 on: 05 September, 2018, 04:34:40 pm »
One more strange aspect is that for some years I could not transfer data to or from the device via the mini USB port, I think due to corrosion, so all data transfers were achieved via the memory card. Now it's the other way round - data transfer via USB cable is now working fine but card not being read. Bizarre. Hope that gives any boffins out there a vital clue! I am considering this as a radical way forward, anyone here tried anything like that?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8 on: 05 September, 2018, 05:57:35 pm »
Yes, my Edge 800 got wet via the USB port and both the USB port and SD card slot were beyond repair.
I replaced the entire rear half of the case which came complete with the daughterboard.

I think I wrote it up at the time, lemme see..

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=99493.msg2080977#msg2080977

« Reply #9 on: 05 September, 2018, 10:13:47 pm »
I replaced the entire rear half of the case which came complete with the daughterboard.

thanks this is helpful, do Garmin sell that kit?

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #10 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:24:29 pm »
I rather suspect that Garmin would much prefer to flog you a whole new unit. I am clutching on to my precious 800 as I still haven't seen anything to beat it yet. I even went as far to buy one of the new Edge 130s so that I only take out the 800 when I need directing. I do worry about its battery and the fact that the usb cover is getting a little lose in its port.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:49:49 pm »
No, Garmin don't sell those kind of spares as far as I know.
I googled the hell out of it and got the parts from a 3rd party vendor of random internal parts.

Google Garmin Edge 800 spares, and dig around.
eg:
http://shop.repair-my-device.com/garmin-edge-800-back-body-case-with-usb-connector-board-and-gasket

I think I got mine from these people, but what they have in stock varies over time:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/partsforgarmin

« Reply #12 on: 06 September, 2018, 02:02:44 pm »
thanks Feanor for inspiration and useful suggestions and links, I think I'll give it a go then  :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 06 September, 2018, 02:48:30 pm »
(doubting this is going to help, but remembering being in the same position) are you copying the map to the card when it is in the Garmin?  I found that copying it to the card, and then putting the card into the Garmin, I got nowhere, but when I put the card into the Garmin, and then copied it to that, it worked (and took a lot longer to copy, of course). 

« Reply #14 on: 06 September, 2018, 02:54:32 pm »
(doubting this is going to help, but remembering being in the same position) are you copying the map to the card when it is in the Garmin?  I found that copying it to the card, and then putting the card into the Garmin, I got nowhere, but when I put the card into the Garmin, and then copied it to that, it worked (and took a lot longer to copy, of course).

thanks but cannot do that because when card is in garmin and connected to PC by USB, the PC does not see the card, only the garmin internal drive

I'm pretty sure it's a corrosion issue now, so I'm going to be brave and take the thing to bits, see what needs cleaning or replacing, and do that as Feanor suggests, not much to lose now...if I fail I'll have to get a new one which is now what garmin (unsurprisingly) are suggesting anyway

« Reply #15 on: 06 September, 2018, 03:08:14 pm »

thanks but cannot do that because when card is in garmin and connected to PC by USB, the PC does not see the card, only the garmin internal drive

I'm pretty sure it's a corrosion issue now, so I'm going to be brave and take the thing to bits, see what need's cleaning or replacing, and do that as Feanor suggests, not much to lose now...if I fail I'll have to get a new one which is now what garmin (unsurprisingly) are suggesting anyway

I have the same problem of the PC not recognising the card, but there is no corrosion on my Garmin (I don't cycle in the rain!).