Author Topic: Recommend a podcast app  (Read 437 times)

Recommend a podcast app
« on: 16 April, 2024, 01:14:16 pm »
What podcast apps do people use? Any recommendations? I have an android phone. I'm very happy with Google podcasts but I understand they are no longer supporting it.
Edit to add: it is important to me to be able to download podcasts prior to listening, and to be able to easily see what I have downloaded.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Recommend a podcast app
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2024, 01:17:00 pm »
Overcast works really well on all my gadgets (Apple ecosystem). All the other apps I tried had one or more really annoying thing or that didn’t work with the Apple Watch.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2024, 01:10:38 am »
I was very happy with Overcast when I had an i-phone and very disappointed to discover there wasn't a Android version when I switched phones.

PodcastAddict seemed to be the best for me is when I switched several years ago. It is VERY function rich. There are global download and playback settings but they can be overridden for individual podcasts -  eg you can set number of seconds to skip for intro or outro (ie avoid ads), and playback speed and skip silence if you're into those sorts of thing. Other functions are a bit more on the 'esoteric' end of the scale IMHO - eg 'Filter by duration', 'Filter by file size', 'Exclude episodes with names containing keywords'. Search seems fine, there's a playlist fnction, and the sleep timer is Ok (it includes a 'stop at the end of the current episode'  and/or chapter so as to avoid playing and auto deleting podcasts just because you're sleeping) though not as good as the Overcast one. But there are so many options it's hard to remember and navigate to the ones that are useful. I'll keep an eye on this thread for other suggestions, but I'm such an addict that if a better one is suggested I might still ignore it because it will take ages to set up all the subscriptions.

eta - I've just discovered it has a stats option, showing me that in 2024 so far I've listened* to 42 different podcast streams including a day's worth of 'Elis James and John Robins', 21 hours 49 minutes of 'The Rest is Politics', down to  26 minutes of 'A muslim and a jew go there'. It also shows me that since I've been using it I've saved 4 hours 11 minutes by skipping intros. 17 days 17 hours were spent in 2023 listenting to (or sleeping through) 628 differnet podcast epsodes.

*but it doesn't know how much of that time I was sleeping rather than listening.

« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2024, 07:25:15 am »
I’ve been using podbean on android. Which lets me subscribe, download (automatically or by choice), auto delete once played, not download on mobile data etc. Which covers what I need.

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2024, 04:34:23 pm »
I have been using Pocket Casts (The free version) on Android - it does what I want which is mainly allow me to download content for offline use, and put stuff in a queue in the order that I would like to listen to it. There is also a nice download tab where you can see what you have downloaded -  I would gladly pay for it, just not the 40€ a year they want, there is nothing in the paid plan that I need.
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2024, 05:43:39 pm »
I listen to quite a lot on BBC sounds (can be downloaded). Also Spotify.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2024, 06:21:46 pm »
I use Podcast Republic. Simply because when I asked my kids, that was the one they used.
I have no experience of any other.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #7 on: 18 April, 2024, 03:03:16 pm »
Thanks for the various recommendations. Google podcasts seems to still be working, for the moment...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2024, 04:13:52 pm »

I use podkicker pro. Have done for over a decade. Works great.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 10:08:56 pm »
https://antennapod.org/

Been using this for a few months a bit different from Google and other apps I've used.

But at least it doesn't track what you are doing or have adds ( plenty in the podcast already) and yet to crash on me
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit