Author Topic: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?  (Read 64238 times)

Euan Uzami

GPX editor / route planner wish lists?
« on: 30 June, 2012, 07:31:18 pm »
Being dissatisfied with the comprehensiveness of any of the current gpx creation / route planning tools available, I've decided to write my own. The goal is sort of to put the things I like about mapsource, and the things I like about bikehike, and have something with the best of both worlds.

My first and foremost intention is to build in all the features that I myself want to make my life easier, but eventually I'm probably intending to put a small unintrusive ad on it to try and make a bit of money out of it. Part of the value of it would have to be the continuous improvement of it, otherwise it could just get nicked and copied.

I also want to make it useful - basically I'm fishing for suggestions please, for features that would make it popular with other people. What would you like to see?

I asked on bikeradar but all they want is strava  ::-)

Cheers for any suggestions

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2012, 08:46:54 pm »
I was thinking about making something like this too

But I just don't have the time

I use bikehike/bikely/bikeroute toaster for making audax routes

I would like

1) ability to copy sub sections of routes
2) ability to measure distances and ascent on different subsections easily
3) easy to add notes/points

I'd like something that was easier to play "what if?" with a route to try and find a better / shorter / easier way from a to b
At the moment I do a lot of editing XML files and re-uploading

« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:14:02 am »
An “Audax specific” program would be a dream come true from my perspective! I don’t have any technical knowledge, so some of this might be nonsense, but ....

My broadband is rubbish so I prefer PC based applications to devise my Audax rides. I use Autoroute to get a crude "minimum distance" path , then manually build this as a Track into Memory Map.

Ideally, I'd have all the stuff Vorsprung says, plus:-

- I’d like the “drag’n’drop” sort of function that I use in Autoroute when devising rides so I can easily find the shortest route;
- then I want the ability to automatically convert a “follow-road Route” into a breadcrumb trail Track;
- then the ability to fine tune the number of Trackpoints with greater precision (to the Garmin friendly 500 points basically) without the Track becoming too “coarse”;
- then the ability easily to insert extra Trackpoints so as to further fine tune the path.

I expect the more competent in this community will point out that most if not all of the above can be done already with one program or another but I haven't had the time/energy to educate myself as to which software will do what. Having it all in one place would be great.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2012, 12:13:18 pm »
Great project!  Basically BikeHike with all the options in one panel (say as the default display like Toaster, but with the OS map panel as an option), plus the best ideas from Toaster - would be hard to beat!  Or Toaster with the drag functionality and the the download flexibility of BikeHike - would be hard to beat.

I don't think the Gmaps API allows the super-smooth drag'n'drop that is available on Google Maps itself - shame - but I think it does allow Pegman (Street View) which would be a big plus to any Planner.

IMO the best feature of Mapsource is that it uses and 'snaps to' Garmin's own maps - hard to replicate that.

A download option for 'Route between Coursepoints'.GPX (effectively direct routing junction-to-junction) - the current BikeHike Route.GPX option is just broken, basically.

A readout onscreen of the number of points generated so far, and/or a 'limit points' tickbox right there next to the download options.

The ability to define a 'split' point(s) eg at controls so that the download is divided into a sequence of Routes or Tracks.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Euan Uzami

« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:20:39 pm »
Thanks for the comments.
Basically going to be like bikehike but tartier UI and an editor for multiple tracks/routes at once, as opposed to having one open at once.
Features I'm planning:
Left hand side collapsible panel, listing currently open routes and tracks, their names and number of points
"Split here" function (accessible by right click context menu at certain point on track) -> splits it in two at that point
Split into tracks of max 500 points each
Filter - remove least important points
Convert route to track, and v.v.
Create route from track by entering distances (-> good for audax - i.e. creates a 'sparse' route of just one point per instruction - this is the feature I mainly want myself)
Join multiple tracks/routes together
Draw route profile
Gradient warning >10% / >14% / >20% when drawing a route/track (google has an elevation service)
Possibly dual carriageway warning when drawing, but that relies on OSM which on POC proved to be slow but it might be fast enough if a small enough bounding box is used

Euan Uzami

« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:30:06 pm »
I was thinking about making something like this too

But I just don't have the time

I use bikehike/bikely/bikeroute toaster for making audax routes

I would like

1) ability to copy sub sections of routes
2) ability to measure distances and ascent on different subsections easily
3) easy to add notes/points

I'd like something that was easier to play "what if?" with a route to try and find a better / shorter / easier way from a to b
At the moment I do a lot of editing XML files and re-uploading

1) splitting a route into multiple sections will probably cover this, which you'll be able to do at a certain point you click on the route - you will then be able to do any of the "per section" operations on the sub section, including downloading it, before (if you want) joining it back up again.
2) good idea. Get route profile will be available as a per-section operation.

« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:38:36 pm »
A readout onscreen of the number of points generated so far, and/or a 'limit points' tickbox right there next to the download options.

This ^

I quite like the way Cyclestreets suggests fast, medium & quiet routes, but have to save and then reduce points in Bikehike, then, sometimes, save and use Bikeroute toaster to share the route.  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:40:57 pm »
I don't think the Gmaps API allows the super-smooth drag'n'drop that is available on Google Maps itself - shame - but I think it does allow Pegman (Street View) which would be a big plus to any Planner.
a polyline that you add to the map to draw a route on has a 'draggable' option, so I'm going to have a play with that to see what that does.

Will definitely have streetview - has got it now, seems to just have it straight out of the box. Which makes me wonder why bikehike hasn't got it - if it hasn't explicitly disabled it for some reason it could be that it's using V2 api as opposed to V3 possibly. What you don't get however is the way the main map reduces to a little bit in the corner, I think you have to code that if you want it.

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2012, 05:18:02 pm »
Autorouting along cycle paths would be very useful indeed.

I'd rather see OSM (or OCM) than Google Maps, because I find it clearer, but an OS option like Bikehike would be lovely.

Some of the existing route planners don't cope well with doubling back. It'd be nice if this just worked, & could be seen clearly for what it is.

A good (as in it doesn't butcher the route) point reduction feature would be useful.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Euan Uzami

« Reply #9 on: 12 July, 2012, 12:13:53 am »
Autorouting along cycle paths would be very useful indeed.

I'd rather see OSM (or OCM) than Google Maps, because I find it clearer, but an OS option like Bikehike would be lovely.

Some of the existing route planners don't cope well with doubling back. It'd be nice if this just worked, & could be seen clearly for what it is.

A good (as in it doesn't butcher the route) point reduction feature would be useful.

Hmm... just been working on this actually, can you let me know how exactly an existing route planner (and which one) doesn't cope well with doubling back?

And have you got an example of how a point reduction feature butchers the route? (an example route would be good)
and how it's butchered.

does bikehike's one do this? In my experience it's always been fine, apart from it sometimes reduces to slightly less than what you asked for, but i can sort that.

I'm not really sure about how to do anything with OS maps - I might add it later, but in the first instance it's going to be google based, as that's what i've been looking into to be honest. Certainly not ruling it out though as it is useful. I think the bing ones are likely to be more of a goer than OS.

bikehike does autorouting along cycle paths (according to OS's algorithm) but in my experience it's completely unreliable, it chooses complete non-roads and once had me struggling down a rocky bridlepath for 4 miles somewhere between hawes and grassington parts of which i would have found challenging on the mtb, let alone road bike. Sometimes it chooses routes that are just not there at all - you can look on streetview and it'll be just a hedge next to a field. It also will try and send you 5 miles out of your way to go down a cycle path, when there is a perfectly good road that takes less than half that - e.g. try routing from 53.2480, -0.7594 to 53.2473, -0.8009 on bikehike in "openstreetmaps, cycling" mode. (paste coords into 'find uk place./postcode').

Thanks for the input

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 12 July, 2012, 09:15:49 am »
NB that Gmaps now has a 'cycling' mode as well as car and walking.  It seems to be mostly like walking mode but handles 1-way systems correctly, so possibly useful.  I tried a short local route which included roads, pedestrian areas, cyclable paths and a 1-way system and it gave gave three completely different 'correct' routes switching between the three options.  But its obviously a work in progress.

Thanks to this thread
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=61252.0

« Reply #11 on: 13 July, 2012, 12:00:26 am »
Butchering routes: I've had a points reduction feature put surprisingly large gaps between points, putting the track far enough from the road or path being followed that it's hard to see where you're supposed to go. I'm trying to remember if it's worse on sections of route which have been manually generated, rather than auto-routed.

It's not a serious problem, though. The other things I mentioned are more important, IMO.

I've not found an autorouting facility which is at all useful for bikes. This may be partly due to map data (e.g. not recognising that roads which are blocked off part-way to stop them being used as rat runs are usually excellent cycle routes, with a bicycle cut-through), but some of it must be down to algorithms. I think what's really needed is something that gives preference to minor rather than major roads (i.e. the reverse of the standard auto-routing), & recognises cycle paths (where mapped) as routes, & selects them when they're going the right way, not some manic "must find a cycle path & ride it, even if I have to do more on roads just to get to it than going direct" algorithm. I've got a beautiful example of this in Bike Route Toaster, which insists on doubling back along a road, going round a roundabout, & taking a couple of hundred metres of bike path under a road bridge - to get to a point 50 metres further along the same road from where the route had reached before the final click.  :facepalm: It's on Thames Side Promenade, Reading. And if I tell it to cross the river & go up St Peter's Avenue, it wants to go through the churchyard, which is most definitely not a cycle path. There's a no cycling sign at the entrance.

Those two examples illustrate both algorithm & map data faults, I think. The algorithm should be fixable, but I'm resigned to having to switch off auto-routing for plotting some sections.

One good thing, though: although displayed on Google Maps, it's got better map data in at least one place. It knows that one stretch of the Kennetside cycle path doesn't follow the straight line shown on Google Maps, but meanders a bit. Looks odd, the route straying off the path shown on the map, but it's because the displayed map is wrong.

I can't remember which one it was I've had a problem with doubling back on, I'm afraid. I do remember it wasn't all doubling back, just sometimes, & I couldn't work out what the difference was between the sections where it just did it, & the section where it was freaking out.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 13 July, 2012, 12:55:12 am »
You stole my idea!  :P but i lack time

Quick to add waypoints. e.g. A simple click to position it, default name appears in an editable text field next to the WP, already selected; you type the name you want to change it, or hit return to accept default.

Hover near track point shows distance on track.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #13 on: 13 July, 2012, 02:53:21 am »
I use qlandkartegt because i don't like online stuff and never really manage to install mapsource. it isn't too bad but could do with some improvement for cyclists. As it is opensource, may be you should consider contributing to it rather than reinventing the wheel?
Chief cat entertainer.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #14 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:11:23 am »
Another vote for split/join here.  But in addition to doing it explicitly, how about auto-splitting circular/near-circular routes into the minimum number of segments such that eTrex/Oregon-type devices will work properly in routing mode rather than just sending you straight to the end.  Detecting routes where this could be a problem and prompting the user to split when they export in route format could prevent no end of hassles.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #15 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:17:18 am »
bikehike does autorouting along cycle paths (according to OS's algorithm) but in my experience it's completely unreliable

Is there any way to make Bikehike route on OS maps?  I thought it could just do Google or OSM.

One possible option for routing on OS maps is to get the Vectormap District data and run your own routing algorithms on that.  VMD is actually pretty nice, although it would be nicer still if it came with a footpath/bridlepath/byway layer.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #16 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:27:08 am »
I've not found an autorouting facility which is at all useful for bikes. This may be partly due to map data (e.g. not recognising that roads which are blocked off part-way to stop them being used as rat runs are usually excellent cycle routes, with a bicycle cut-through), but some of it must be down to algorithms.

I can't imagine where you would start.  Given the huge variability in what a cyclist might want or not want - not only general preferences (main road basher vs towpath cyclist) but variations depending on circumstances, conditions, tiredness etc.  Whilst a reversal of the standard auto-routing priorities might be a good starting point, I regularly use sections of a local trunk road (and then leave it via a bollarded cut-through) - anything suppressing that wouldn't work for me.

Clicking along BikeRouteToaster at small intervals whilst changing the routing prefs in the side panel as appropriate, and using 'delete last' when it goes wrong, is probably the best I've found so far.  But drag-editing afterwards is almost impossible, so it's far from perfect.

Yes - this is a very nice facility, that Memory Map has.

... how about auto-splitting circular/near-circular routes into the minimum number of segments such that eTrex/Oregon-type devices will work properly ...

They are working properly!  :demon:  Dictionary definition of a route - a path from one place to another.
Its the concept of a 'circular route' which is wrong ...  ;)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #17 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:26:47 am »
NB that Gmaps now has a 'cycling' mode as well as car and walking.  It seems to be mostly like walking mode but handles 1-way systems correctly, so possibly useful.  I tried a short local route which included roads, pedestrian areas, cyclable paths and a 1-way system and it gave gave three completely different 'correct' routes switching between the three options.  But its obviously a work in progress.

Thanks to this thread
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=61252.0

I'll enable that, was going to offer the ability to choose between walking and driving anyway so no extra effort to add a third option.
Butchering routes: I've had a points reduction feature put surprisingly large gaps between points, putting the track far enough from the road or path being followed that it's hard to see where you're supposed to go. I'm trying to remember if it's worse on sections of route which have been manually generated, rather than auto-routed.
could that have been because that was its only option, though?
For instance as an extreme example if I told it to reduce the whole of a 600 to 250 points then it would most definitely cut some bends out, as it would have to.
They basically use this algorithm.

It's not a serious problem, though. The other things I mentioned are more important, IMO.

I've not found an autorouting facility which is at all useful for bikes. This may be partly due to map data (e.g. not recognising that roads which are blocked off part-way to stop them being used as rat runs are usually excellent cycle routes, with a bicycle cut-through), but some of it must be down to algorithms.

Yes, I think you're right, but I don't think we're ever going to get something which always chooses the route that we would consider the best for cycling.
There's always going to have to be some element of manual intervention to tell it how to choose the best route.
The difference between a good route creator and a mediocre one though is that the good one gives you all the stuff you need to be able to decide, when as is often the case you don't know the road. A big help with that, imho, will be just to have streetview enabled.
Also it's even true that what one cyclist considers a good route another cyclist might even consider awful, and that's even before you take mtbers into account - they might want to route down muddy rocky bridlepaths.

I think what's really needed is something that gives preference to minor rather than major roads (i.e. the reverse of the standard auto-routing), & recognises cycle paths (where mapped) as routes, & selects them when they're going the right way, not some manic "must find a cycle path & ride it, even if I have to do more on roads just to get to it than going direct" algorithm. I've got a beautiful example of this in Bike Route Toaster, which insists on doubling back along a road, going round a roundabout, & taking a couple of hundred metres of bike path under a road bridge - to get to a point 50 metres further along the same road from where the route had reached before the final click.  :facepalm: It's on Thames Side Promenade, Reading. And if I tell it to cross the river & go up St Peter's Avenue, it wants to go through the churchyard, which is most definitely not a cycle path. There's a no cycling sign at the entrance.
I think we've all got an example of that! ;)

Those two examples illustrate both algorithm & map data faults, I think. The algorithm should be fixable, but I'm resigned to having to switch off auto-routing for plotting some sections.

One good thing, though: although displayed on Google Maps, it's got better map data in at least one place. It knows that one stretch of the Kennetside cycle path doesn't follow the straight line shown on Google Maps, but meanders a bit. Looks odd, the route straying off the path shown on the map, but it's because the displayed map is wrong.

I can't remember which one it was I've had a problem with doubling back on, I'm afraid. I do remember it wasn't all doubling back, just sometimes, & I couldn't work out what the difference was between the sections where it just did it, & the section where it was freaking out.

I think you're right that problems aren't just with the data. But I'm not going to be writing a routing algorithm, I'm basically only going to be providing a (hopefully very convenient) way to access the ones others provide, with the advice that you should put points close enough so that you use it just for making the track the right shape, rather than choosing where it goes in the first place, if you know what I mean.

edit: ftp, coming back to what you said before about bing, when I had a look at it, i was quite surprised at how comprehensive their API is, so it might be feasible to program for both. Their api is obviously trying to rival google's (or the other way round, for all i know) - it's almost like a lot of the api calls are the same, but just with a different namespace...  :-\  :)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #18 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:35:58 am »
bikehike does autorouting along cycle paths (according to OS's algorithm) but in my experience it's completely unreliable

Is there any way to make Bikehike route on OS maps?  I thought it could just do Google or OSM.

One possible option for routing on OS maps is to get the Vectormap District data and run your own routing algorithms on that.  VMD is actually pretty nice, although it would be nicer still if it came with a footpath/bridlepath/byway layer.
oh sorry I thought OSM was OS maps... :-\ I know it stands for openstreetmap and OS stands for ordnance survey, but I thought the map it rendered with its contours, etc was an ordnance survey map... is it not?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #19 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:36:20 am »
Oh, one more: really good support for "panning" devices (e.g. multi-touch trackpads, Apple's brilliant "Magic Mouse", &c.).  With the right software support, these are a great way to avoid dragging gestures and save your wrists.  Without, they're a bit of a pain.

• As an absolute minimum, a way to disable mousewheel zoom, which is a pain with these devices (especialy the Magic Mouse).  Bikehike offers this.
  • Better still, allow panning devices to be used to scroll the map.  Once you've tried this, you won't want to go back.
  • Finally, if possible, pinch zoom would be great.  I'm not totally sure this is possible in current major browsers (it didn't seem to be when I last looked, around Christmas time -- may have changed by now!).

Good touchscreen support might be nice as well, but that's a somewhat separate issue.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #20 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:40:12 am »
oh sorry I thought OSM was OS maps... :-\ I know it stands for openstreetmap and OS stands for ordnance survey, but I thought the map it rendered with its contours, etc was an ordnance survey map... is it not?

It's possible the contours and so on on OSM are from the OS, I'm not 100% sure.  However, the "main" data -- roads, paths, etc. -- is crowdsourced, mostly by people going out with their GPS units, recording tracks, and uploading them.  Totally independent of the OS dataset.

I think that some old (public domain) OS maps may have been used as a starting point by the OSM people in some areas.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #21 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:55:30 am »
I use qlandkartegt because i don't like online stuff and never really manage to install mapsource. it isn't too bad but could do with some improvement for cyclists. As it is opensource, may be you should consider contributing to it rather than reinventing the wheel?

Well whilst I love the nobility of the idea of contributing selflessly to the cause of advancing the sum total of human intellect, I am at least partly doing this for my own personal gains.
Like I said, if it takes off (and maybe even at first) it is going to have an advert on - but I am going to be keen to make sure it is unobtrusive, and I'd rather have it unobtrusive and earn slightly less, than be prominent and profitable but annoying and spoil the look of the site. Usability is paramount, but the days of 640x480 monitors is long gone and usually there is plenty of screen real estate, especially with my ideas for having a collapsible track/route explorer and context-based menus rather than all the menus on the screen at once.

And whilst i'm not envisaging giving up the day job any time soon, it can't do it any harm for the future, since it's a pet project / hobbyist thing that would hopefully look good on the cv...

I did once contribute to openstreetmap and I'm sure I did my changes absolutely correctly but they just haven't taken effect, and I asked on their forum and got a nonsensical answer. The trouble with contributing to other people's projects is you have to do it by their rules and work round their mistakes and design flaws. I'm quite happy to do that at work in the day when I'm getting paid for it, but what I do in my own  spare time is going to something that I decide  how it's done, and at least any mistakes will be mine and I'll be able to fix them!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #22 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:56:47 am »
Oh, one more: really good support for "panning" devices (e.g. multi-touch trackpads, Apple's brilliant "Magic Mouse", &c.).  With the right software support, these are a great way to avoid dragging gestures and save your wrists.  Without, they're a bit of a pain.

• As an absolute minimum, a way to disable mousewheel zoom, which is a pain with these devices (especialy the Magic Mouse).  Bikehike offers this.

yes, will do this, it sounds like it's just a flag to set.

• Better still, allow panning devices to be used to scroll the map.  Once you've tried this, you won't want to go back.
  • Finally, if possible, pinch zoom would be great.  I'm not totally sure this is possible in current major browsers (it didn't seem to be when I last looked, around Christmas time -- may have changed by now!).

Good touchscreen support might be nice as well, but that's a somewhat separate issue.

looking into other mobile devices might come slightly further down the road.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #23 on: 13 July, 2012, 10:58:34 am »

I can't imagine where you would start.  Given the huge variability in what a cyclist might want or not want - not only general preferences (main road basher vs towpath cyclist) but variations depending on circumstances, conditions, tiredness etc.  Whilst a reversal of the standard auto-routing priorities might be a good starting point, I regularly use sections of a local trunk road (and then leave it via a bollarded cut-through) - anything suppressing that wouldn't work for me.

Clicking along BikeRouteToaster at small intervals whilst changing the routing prefs in the side panel as appropriate, and using 'delete last' when it goes wrong, is probably the best I've found so far.  But drag-editing afterwards is almost impossible, so it's far from perfect.

Yes - this is a very nice facility, that Memory Map has.

... how about auto-splitting circular/near-circular routes into the minimum number of segments such that eTrex/Oregon-type devices will work properly ...

They are working properly!  :demon:  Dictionary definition of a route - a path from one place to another.
Its the concept of a 'circular route' which is wrong ...  ;)

"undo last"
"undo last x km"
"hover over show distance"
 - all excellent feature ideas, cheers

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #24 on: 13 July, 2012, 11:24:51 am »
Have you thought at all about the save/share/library side of things?

I can understand wanting to avoid this, either for the same reasons as bikehike or just to keep the server-side part of things as light as possible, but it is a pretty useful facility.

The current bikehike approach is pretty neat, but I suspect it's quite a high barrier for those who don't already have web hosting stuff set up.  I wonder if something along the lines of Dropbox integration might be a better compromise.