Author Topic: Delightful Dales 200  (Read 9981 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Delightful Dales 200
« on: 17 February, 2015, 04:39:22 pm »
Still not too late to enter this event.

The date is Sunday 01 March 2015.

Everyone who has entered should have by now received their route-sheet.

Route heads out of Lancashire into the Yorkshire Dales to climb Park Rash. Across Swaledale towards Kirkby Stephen and returning via 3-peaks country and the Ribble Valley.

Free breakfast available at the start.

39 entries so far. I've ordered 50 brevet cards so entries will close when/if I reach this limit.

Hoping for better weather than 2-years ago. The weather has improved this last week so fingers crossed.

The event is BRM and counts as a 200km qualifier for PBP (if you haven't done a 200 already that is)!

Andy Corless

Re: Delightful Dales 200
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:39:03 pm »
Just sent an email to your yahoo a/c Andy.  :thumbsup:
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

Andy Corless

« Reply #2 on: 18 February, 2015, 04:08:05 pm »
"Just sent an email to your yahoo a/c Andy".

Well I haven't got it! Are you sure you sent it to the right e-mail account?

Andy Corless

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2015, 07:50:46 am »
That was one that will live in the memory. I DNF'ed, as did a number of others.
The weather forecast was for a strong wind, showers and some sleet but the reality was very different. A strong tailwind blew us from the start to Middleham and, as usual, Park Rash beat me. Riding down through Coverdale the sun was out and it was a fantastic spring day. The first hint of the difficulties to come came after Reeth when the driving winds and horizontal rain slowed me to a crawl.
By the time I had reached Thwaite I decided to stop and Kearton's Country Stores served up some hot food.

A quick chat with the proprietor revealed that all was not well on the tops, as she told me that she had just been over Buttertubs in a landrover and that there was snow falling thickly. At this point I decided to DNF, get over Buttertubs while I still could and hope that it was rideable over Newby Head before heading for home.

After setting off, it became clear that the weather had taken a serious turn for the worse. The wind had dropped but the snow was falling very thickly, with enormous flakes. Soon the road was unrideable and cars that had passed me going up were soon coming back down again. I started walking and came across a 4x4 that had skidded into a wall. Now there were no cars and it is a long walk over the pass to Hawes.

At Hawes the junction for the Widdale road looked just as bad and so I set off for Garsdale Head station, around 6 miles away. It took around an hour of riding, walking and slipping to get there. A few other riders were on the platform waiting for the last train to Skipton, where we figured the A59 back to Clitheroe would be rideable.

The train pulled in, and a few of our number were already on the train, having joined it at Kirby Stephen. Another half dozen got on at Dent. We swapped war stories - one group had been offered lifts by mountain rescue in Upped Swaledale. We poured out of the train at Skipton, and made our way back. Apparently everyone was safely accounted for from the ride. There were even some finishers!

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2015, 08:52:01 am »
Wow, what an audacious ride, one for the memory banks! No shame in DNFing, top photos btw.

« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2015, 10:28:29 am »
Glad everyone's safe!  Wonderful, if frightening pictures, K.

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2015, 12:59:23 pm »
That's good news about FEB's hip then - he wasn't looking too clever sat on the deck when I caught up with his and Dave's wheel tracks on The Coal Road.

A huge thanks to the Mountain Rescue volunteer, Roy, living at Dent Station who assessed our situation immediately and offered us warm drinks, towels and shelter whilst he sorted out the train situation with the railline operators. That'll be a thankful donation in the next Mountain Rescue collection box from me.
And a huge thanks to the train manageress from Northern Rail who let us all onto the train, 5 extra bikes, over those already aboard. Common sense prevailed from northerners with CS - unlike us cycling northerners who were caught out in the weather.

After leaving Nateby and heading south through the thick slush on the road, I had considered making a L turn at The Moorcock to go to Hawes, then try the main road over to Ribblehead. But the road at the Moorcock was clear so I went R chancing The Coal Road. That was clear at the bottom, with 2" flakes dropping and lying. About 1/2 mile up the hill, all went very white and unrideable. The 24" gear came into play for the first time for me on an event. Within 1/2 hour, the snow was at least 4" thick and whilst I could ride precariously along the flat bits, downhill riding was not going to be an option - that's when I encountered Bob and Dave. Roy later told us that the Hawes road was closed, so I'd have been stuck there, possibly even now at Monday lunchtime! So, getting on the last train was a close shave.

It also taught me about contingencies - for my house keys were locked in my car parked in Pendleton - one option I had to dismiss was to stay on the train to Leeds and get a train back to Manchester - no good if I couldn't get in the house. So, I'm off to buy a KeySafe sometine soon. And I'll always carry a house key on my person in future!

Hope Bob Bialek escaped from wherever he holed-up for the night - there's a tale there to be related about a police rescue, etc...
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2015, 01:17:42 pm »
Glad everyone was ok.

That looks Epic!
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2015, 01:23:32 pm »
This is very odd! I did the Lune coal road reliability ride yesterday over to Hawes and Coal Road and there was no snow. Exceedingly cold though! Must have missed the whole thing by about an hour so then!!

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2015, 05:43:52 pm »
I must have been the last over the coal road. Met up with a nice guy called Mick and we slid down into dentdale. Mick and I pushed and dragged our bikes through the deep snow up to the hawes road. That was hard work.
Cheers to Mick from liverpool for sticking with me. It didnt end there until we pushed/slid and peddled to horton to where it was safe enough to clip in and speed up!
cheers Andy for organising a good challenging day

Peter bt

Andy Corless

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2015, 06:34:42 pm »
59 entered.
38 started.
9 finished.

The 4th running of the Delightful Dales 200 was essentially a ride of two halves.

Part One:

36 riders started at 07:30 am with the benefit of a very strong tailwind. They were followed shortly by 2 late starters, including former CTT National Hill-Climb champion, Jim Henderson. The wind was behind the riders all the way to the first control at Middleham where those first on the road arrived shortly after opening time. Whilst following the riders in the car, I stopped at the control at Middleham and asked some of the riders where Jim Henderson had passed them? "he passed us going over Park Rash" - no surprise there then!

After leaving the control at Middleham, the route then turned north, passing army land en-route to Swaledale to battle the expected headwind over Birkdale Common, where Paul Julien, Bob Johnson and some of the Condor riders (Peter Horne, Chris Smith) were the first on the road, along with Jim Henderson and a couple of riders from Halifax. I was wondering whether the title of this thread was going to have to be re-named the, "When did Jim Henderson pass you?" thread.

Part Two:

The next 100 km weren't as "delightful" as the first as suddenly, the event took off on a rather unpleasant and unexpected turn due to adverse weather conditions.

The first riders were far enough up the road to avoid the worst of the weather over Birkdale Common en-route to Nateby, with just heavy hail and horizontal sleet to contend with. The later riders weren't so lucky! Snowfall, with reports of up to 8-inches of snow falling within an hour, bringing the later riders to a standstill. Fortunately, most riders made it to Nateby whilst the last three on the road were assisted by the local mountain rescue team.

Whilst many riders abandoned at Nateby, managing to catch a train to Skipton from Kirkby Stephen, some attempted riding the final leg back home. Some were forced to pack and caught the train from Dent, whilst 1 rider was given a lift to Settle by the police (not so much rescued, just picked up by the police because they were heading in the same direction).

Finally, all riders were accounted for and 9 managed to finish the ride with just the 1 reportable accident.

Next year's edition has been set for Sunday 03 April 2016.

Let's hope for better weather next year.

Andy Corless

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #11 on: 05 March, 2015, 09:31:21 pm »
Photos from Dent Station - as far as I got before bailing out!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/captaincontours/sets/72157650728860347/
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #12 on: 07 March, 2015, 09:42:10 pm »
I've been listening to some of these war stories from riders who were also on the Yorkshire Gallop - it sounded unbelievable the way the weather changed. These pictures are amazing.

Andy Corless

« Reply #13 on: 10 March, 2016, 06:16:02 pm »
The date for this year's event is Sunday 03 April 2016. Entries still open.

This year's event will start and finish in Clitheroe, Lancashire. The route heads out of Lancashire into the Yorkshire Dales to climb Park Rash over to Leyburn. Then across Swaledale to Kirkby Stephen before returning to Lancashire via 3-peaks country and the Ribble Valley.

Free breakfast (typically cereal & toast) on a help yourself basis available before the start. Refreshments, typically sandwiches & cakes available at the finish.

Route-sheets going out on Monday.

Enter by post or through the AUK website at: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-460/
Event website at: http://burnleyccevents.com/delightful-dales-200-03-april-2016/

Andy Corless
Organiser
Delightful Dales 200

« Reply #14 on: 27 March, 2016, 03:33:54 pm »
Looking forward to this - especially since it seems that winter has ended.

« Reply #15 on: 27 March, 2016, 05:29:06 pm »
Looking forward to this - especially since it seems that winter has ended.

Hmmm.  Seems to have just started in Rochdale.

Andy Corless

« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2016, 03:50:37 pm »
Just to let you know I won't be able to accept any EoL this year due to higher than usual entry number. Entry will close at midnight Friday.

Andy Corless
Organsier
Delightful Dales 200

Andy Corless

« Reply #17 on: 06 April, 2017, 05:33:54 pm »
Thanks to all those that took part in the 6th edition of the Delightful Dales 200. A 205 km route passing through parts of the Ribble Valley and the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

For once the event was blessed with some fine weather; seeming a long way away from some previous editions of snow/ice/survival etc. 55 entered and 42 riders finished with no reportable accidents.

Some photo's of riders climbing Park Rash below:

Riders travelled from as far as Tyneside; London; Suffolk and the Netherlands in order to participate and I do hope their journeys were worthwhile.

The date for next years event has been provisionally set for Sunday 25 March 2018.

Thanks again to those that entered and took part.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Delightful Dales 200

Andy Corless

« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2018, 02:51:02 pm »
Due to the unusually high entry this year I'll be unable to accept EoL so if you haven't entered before midnight tonight please don't turn up at the start as there's unlikely to be any brevet cards or route-sheets available.

For those that are riding remember to put your clock forward tonight!

Andy Corless
Organiser
Delightful Dales 200

Andy Corless

« Reply #19 on: 29 March, 2018, 06:18:38 pm »
Thanks to all those that took part in the 7th edition of the Delightful Dales 200 last Sunday. For the second year running the event was blessed with some fine weather and most riders made plausible comments about the route. Riders travelled from as far as Wales and London in order to participate in the event and I do hope their time and expense was worthwhile. There were 52 finishers this year and no reportable accidents.

I didn't take any photo's this year but for a flavour of the ride you can read more about the day on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/audaxuk/

Rider Katie Butler has also posted a video of her ride on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1viPq5608yE&feature=youtu.be

The date for next year's edition has been set for Sunday 31 March 2019.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Delightful Dales 200

Andy Corless

« Reply #20 on: 13 March, 2019, 11:48:50 am »
The date for this year's event is Sunday 31 March 2019. Entries still open!

This year's event will start and finish in Clitheroe, Lancashire. The route heads out of Lancashire into the Yorkshire Dales to climb Park Rash over to Leyburn. Then across Swaledale to Kirkby Stephen before returning to Lancashire via 3-peaks country and the Ribble Valley.

Free breakfast (typically cereal & toast, tea/coffee/juice etc) on a help yourself basis available before the start. Refreshments, typically sandwiches & cakes available at the finish.

Route-sheets going out over the next few days.

For further details, AUK calendar webpage address: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-460/
Event website address: https://burnleyccevents.com/delightful-dales-200-02-april-2017/

The weather's pretty crap at the moment but hopefully will improve beforehand. We're still over 2-weeks from the event.

The clocks go forward 1-hour the night before!

Andy Corless
Organiser
Delightful Dales 200

« Reply #21 on: 25 March, 2019, 08:56:18 am »
I’m looking forward to this as never done it before but I’m not sure about losing a hours sleep 💤😆

Andy Corless

« Reply #22 on: 26 March, 2019, 11:46:33 am »
Still not too late to enter this event.

The date is Sunday 31 March 2019 (this coming Sunday!

Everyone who has entered should have by now received their route-sheet and event info'.

Route heads out of Lancashire into the Yorkshire Dales to climb Park Rash. Across Swaledale to Kirkby Stephen and returning via 3-peaks country and the Ribble Valley.

Optional free breakfast available at the start.

Entry fee £6.60!

About 70 entries so far. I've ordered 75 cards so I've set a provisional closing date for Friday for any late entries.

The event is a BRM and counts as a 200 km qualifier for PBP (if you haven't done a 200 already that is)!

Relevant websites here:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-460/

https://burnleyccevents.com/delightful-dales-200-02-april-2017/

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #23 on: 06 April, 2019, 04:06:55 pm »
Thanks to all those that took part in last Sunday's Delightful Dales 200. We had some decent weather again and all 48 riders that started went on to finish. Many riders enjoyed the route and were aware of climbs such as Park Rash and Swaledale but some got a bit of a shock on the climb of the Old Coal Road.

Next year's edition will take place on Sunday 29 March 2020.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Delightful Dales 200

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 06 April, 2019, 04:35:59 pm »
Thanks to all those that took part in last Sunday's Delightful Dales 200. We had some decent weather again and all 48 riders that started went on to finish. Many riders enjoyed the route and were aware of climbs such as Park Rash and Swaledale but some got a bit of a shock on the climb of the Old Coal Road.

Next year's edition will take place on Sunday 29 March 2019.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Delightful Dales 200

Methinks next year is 2020...