Off Topic > Arts and Entertainment

What was the last film you watched?

<< < (2090/2093) > >>

citoyen:

--- Quote from: mrcharly-YHT on 19 April, 2024, 07:30:36 am ---Seen Dune2 now.
(click to show/hide)
What the everlasting fuck?

There are two, very simple, main plot drivers in the book:

1) The stability of the empire depends on mutual mistrust between the great houses, pinned in place by the Emperor having the best army (the Sarduarkar). Duke Leto upsets this by creating an army of equal, if not better, quality than the Sarduarker. Hence the Emperor plots to remove him from the scene and destroy his army.

2) The entire civilisation depends on the Guild Navigator's ability to 'fold space' and hence provide transport. The Guild Navigators can only function with spice; they are all failed, limited versions of Paul Atreides. Hence, when Paul controls the spice, he can blackmail the Guild, and they tell everyone else to fall in line and bow to Paul.

So, why, given these are simple, and could have been described by the plot device of having the emperor's daughter dictate into her diary, did the director completely abandon them?

Makes no sense, unless they are going for a 3rd film that completely departs from the books and wraps things up in a messy, non-canon, way.

--- End quote ---

Villeneuve has said in interviews that he thinks the major flaw with Lynch's version is that Lynch was only interested in creating his own vision as a director, whereas he, Villeneuve, wanted to be true to the books...  ::-)

See my earlier comment re the Navigators.

mrcharly-YHT:

--- Quote from: citoyen on 19 April, 2024, 05:13:05 pm ---
--- Quote from: mrcharly-YHT on 19 April, 2024, 07:30:36 am ---Seen Dune2 now.
(click to show/hide)
What the everlasting fuck?

There are two, very simple, main plot drivers in the book:

1) The stability of the empire depends on mutual mistrust between the great houses, pinned in place by the Emperor having the best army (the Sarduarkar). Duke Leto upsets this by creating an army of equal, if not better, quality than the Sarduarker. Hence the Emperor plots to remove him from the scene and destroy his army.

2) The entire civilisation depends on the Guild Navigator's ability to 'fold space' and hence provide transport. The Guild Navigators can only function with spice; they are all failed, limited versions of Paul Atreides. Hence, when Paul controls the spice, he can blackmail the Guild, and they tell everyone else to fall in line and bow to Paul.

So, why, given these are simple, and could have been described by the plot device of having the emperor's daughter dictate into her diary, did the director completely abandon them?

Makes no sense, unless they are going for a 3rd film that completely departs from the books and wraps things up in a messy, non-canon, way.

--- End quote ---

Villeneuve has said in interviews that he thinks the major flaw with Lynch's version is that Lynch was only interested in creating his own vision as a director, whereas he, Villeneuve, wanted to be true to the books...  ::-)

See my earlier comment re the Navigators.

--- End quote ---

If he thinks that is true to the books, he needs a right boot up the arse and reading lessons.

(click to show/hide)Also missed one of the great romantic lines, where he swears to Chani that the emperor's daughter will not have any affection from him.

T42:
Babylon. Good God, really?  The music was good, though.

Hot Flatus:
Currently watching Top Gun 2 on Netflix.

I've managed about 20 minutes. I'm not sure I can bear much more.

Delgado lovechild:
Superbad has just started on BBC1. Which is a superb film from 2007. Jonah Hill, Emma Stone, Seth Rogen and Michael Cera. Much less annoying than Napoleon Dynamite!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version