Author Topic: Winter studded tyres  (Read 105636 times)

Re: Winter studded tyres
« Reply #375 on: 25 January, 2011, 02:31:41 pm »
I took the Marathon Winters off the bike last night.

I miss the reassuring buzz and awesome grip, but the speed difference last night was astounding. I "scalped" everyone I saw and the bike felt as though I'd cut the brake lines. I hadn't reaslied how much I'd come to rely on the drag of the tyres for deceleration. As a result, I spent a lot of time clicking up through the gears and then standing on the brakes.

It was enormous fun.

However, I can't fault the Marathon Winters - totally Ronseal.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #376 on: 28 January, 2011, 04:34:28 pm »
OK, I think we can guarantee that snow has ended for the year.

My Marathon Winters have arrived from Wiggle!  The day that the M+ to replace them for summer have arrived too.

It's only taken since mid-October ::-)

*faints*
Getting there...

« Reply #377 on: 28 January, 2011, 04:47:55 pm »
OK, I think we can guarantee that snow has ended for the year

No, I'm going to take my MWs off this weekend, so blizzards are likely.  

corshamjim

« Reply #378 on: 28 January, 2011, 05:11:02 pm »
And I'm hoping finally to repair my winter bike tomorrow.  ;D  Bring on the snow!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #379 on: 28 January, 2011, 05:12:54 pm »
North Yorkshire will remain snow free.

Why?

Because given the amount of hassle it took to get the Schwalbe Snow Stud tyres now adorning the work bike onto Shimano factory rims, the tyres can bloody well stay where they're at until they either wear out or the road buzz drives me insane - my thumbs had enough grief putting them on, I do not wish to sacrifice any more tyre levers (or indeed my thumbs) in removing them.

If we don't have any more snow, then I'll put 'em through their paces in some lovely Dalby Forest muck :)

« Reply #380 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:31:22 pm »
Same for Glasgow area, I fitted my new schwable ice-spikers last weekend to ensure milder weather. They went on without too much difficulty for me. (Sun & Rigida rims)  They look brilliant too !

corshamjim

A timely reminder
« Reply #381 on: 02 September, 2011, 01:38:42 pm »
If anyone is thinking of trying winter studded tyres this year, I recommend start shopping around now.  As soon as we get any ice, you can bet there'll be none left in the shops until Spring.

« Reply #382 on: 02 September, 2011, 02:00:10 pm »
I got a pair of Marathon winters from wiggle last week. Couldn't fault them on price & speed of delivery!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #383 on: 02 September, 2011, 04:18:08 pm »
On the one hand all the holly trees are covered in berries, the sloe is groaning under the weight too.  Most plants seem to have really been very productive.  That's a sign of a hard winter to come.

On the other hand, we've just had a couple of bad years so I can't imagine that the snow/ice tyres will be quite as useful this time round

« Reply #384 on: 02 September, 2011, 04:19:15 pm »
On the other hand, we've just had a couple of bad years so I can't imagine that the snow/ice tyres will be quite as useful this time round
That's what I said last year.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #385 on: 02 September, 2011, 05:28:12 pm »
For the first time in my life, I'm fully prepared for the worst a British winter can throw at me - kitted out with ice tyres for the bike and snow chains for the car.

Expect it to be the mildest winter since records began.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #386 on: 04 September, 2011, 09:15:34 am »
I got a pair of Marathon winters from wiggle last week. Couldn't fault them on price & speed of delivery!

Same here.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #387 on: 04 September, 2011, 10:32:09 pm »
If anyone is thinking of trying winter studded tyres this year, I recommend start shopping around now.  As soon as we get any ice, you can bet there'll be none left in the shops until Spring.

Might be a bit late already.
Getting there...

« Reply #388 on: 04 September, 2011, 10:53:16 pm »
Wiggle still have stock of Marathon winters in both sizes although the 26" has gone up in price since I got mine a week ago

Euan Uzami

« Reply #389 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:15:58 pm »
Hmm. wonder if it might be worth buying up a load then flogging em off at a markup come december ;)

« Reply #390 on: 06 September, 2011, 10:21:10 pm »
I ordered one about 5 days before christmas last year, the guy phoned me to say they had none in stock but would I like him to keep the order on and just send it when it arrives; I agreed expecting a long wait but it turned up on christmas eve  ???

Stuck it on the front with a gnarly MTB tyre on the rear and it made short work of everything I threw at it all throughout that bad spell we had  :demon:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #391 on: 07 September, 2011, 10:52:30 am »
Hmm. wonder if it might be worth buying up a load then flogging em off at a markup come december ;)

I'd be tempted to do that if I had the capital. It's precisely how the likes of Alan Sugar got started.

On the other hand, I'd feel bad about exploiting the needs of fellow cyclists. Which is why I'll never be a millionaire.  ::-)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Euan Uzami

Re: Re: Winter studded tyres
« Reply #392 on: 07 September, 2011, 11:28:23 am »

I'd be tempted to do that if I had the capital. It's precisely how the likes of Alan Sugar got started.

On the other hand, I'd feel bad about exploiting the needs of fellow cyclists. Which is why I'll never be a millionaire.  ::-)

d.

Ah, but if you didn't, they still wouldn't be able to get any, or might have to pay an even bigger mark up - so you're effectively doing them a favour ;)

« Reply #393 on: 07 September, 2011, 03:21:27 pm »
I've got a pair of very lightly used Marathon winters in 26" from last year. If anyone has some more serious offroad-tread studded tyres (26" or 29er/700c) they want to swap I might be interested.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #394 on: 07 September, 2011, 03:22:17 pm »
We have a pair of Ice Spikers, but I suspect that Butterfly will want to keep hold of them.
Getting there...

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #395 on: 07 September, 2011, 03:25:51 pm »
I sometimes think I must live in some kind of weird arctic micro-climate. I've had icy roads on two morning commutes so far this week.

Where do you live, Yorkshire ? lol

« Reply #396 on: 07 September, 2011, 03:27:59 pm »
We have a pair of Ice Spikers, but I suspect that Butterfly will want to keep hold of them.

If you do want to swap, they'd be just what I'm after.

The Marathons are great for icy roads but were no good last winter on traffic-free bridleways and lanes. I figured I didn't care about rolling resistance as the only days I'd be using the studded tyres I'd be going faster than the cars what ever tyres I had, so may as well swap for some I could ride some singletrack on as well.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #397 on: 07 September, 2011, 03:35:15 pm »
Send her a PM to ask.  They're not fitted to wheels at the moment, so should be Ok to swap if she wants.  I think they were a bit OTT for our roads, but she was sent them by a supplier who didn't have the Winters she requested.
Getting there...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #398 on: 07 September, 2011, 09:42:04 pm »

The Marathons are great for icy roads but were no good last winter on traffic-free bridleways and lanes.

I'd noticed that - except in my case it was more they couldn't cope very well with thick piles of snow on the edges of roads.  I guess the ideal winter tyre is one with a very thick chunky tread and studs.  Then it can handle thick snow and ice.

Does such a thing exist?

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein