Author Topic: Winter studded tyres  (Read 104617 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Winter studded tyres
« Reply #400 on: 07 September, 2011, 10:00:17 pm »
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #402 on: 07 September, 2011, 10:11:02 pm »
Ice spikers  :demon:
big long linky thing

They look more like instuments of torture than tyres
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #403 on: 07 September, 2011, 10:33:16 pm »
Ice spikers  :demon:
big long linky thing

They look more like instuments of torture than tyres

Sssh, don't tell charlotte!

« Reply #404 on: 08 September, 2011, 11:57:39 am »
Marathon Winters worked brilliantly for me last winter. I'm actually looking forward to using them again this coming winter.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #405 on: 08 September, 2011, 01:05:12 pm »
Marathon Winters worked brilliantly for me last winter. I'm actually looking forward to using them again this coming winter.

+1

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Winter studded tyres
« Reply #406 on: 08 September, 2011, 01:27:42 pm »
Not as much as I am; I got my bike with Winters sorted just after it warmed up...

« Reply #407 on: 08 September, 2011, 02:13:55 pm »

+1

+2

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #408 on: 08 September, 2011, 06:56:51 pm »
One of my justifications for the trike was riding on ice.

Might be retiring my marathon winters in the spring if it goes well on the trike.

« Reply #409 on: 08 September, 2011, 08:33:46 pm »
Belt & braces approach, I'm changing back to my winter trike in November. That is a Longstaff conversion with a Marathon Winter on the drive wheel and Snow Studs on the front & idler.
The summer trike is a classic Higgins so I don't want salt damage after restoring it.

« Reply #410 on: 08 September, 2011, 09:45:31 pm »
I thought about the trike, but visualised myself on ice, sailing into the path of a car. A trike with Winters, of course, would be fine. Might try it...

« Reply #411 on: 09 September, 2011, 05:37:58 pm »
If you're thinking of getting Marathon winters, Wiggle have 10% off this weekend using the EXTRA-10 voucher code.

« Reply #412 on: 14 September, 2011, 05:27:55 am »
I have some 26" 2.5 marathon winters from last winter with 50miles on them. I would like to swap for some 700C versions, any takes?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #413 on: 14 September, 2011, 07:11:10 am »
I thought about the trike, but visualised myself on ice, sailing into the path of a car. A trike with Winters, of course, would be fine. Might try it...

Most of the problem for me is the odd unexpected patch which can take your (two) wheels from under you, rather than acres of skating rink which sends you spinning to oblivion.

« Reply #414 on: 14 September, 2011, 07:34:01 am »
I have some 26" 2.5 marathon winters from last winter with 50miles on them. I would like to swap for some 700C versions, any takes?
Did not realise they came that wide, thought they were only 1.75"? If I were you I would sit on them, then auction them on here the day the ice comes.

I will be relying on my home made jobs again (converted Schwalbe Landcruisers), they were very safe last winter, but I only had about 16 'studs' (screws) in the back tyre so uphill traction was an issue, I will spend £5 and an evening's work to double them up before November.

« Reply #415 on: 14 September, 2011, 07:35:16 am »
If you're thinking of getting Marathon winters, Wiggle have 10% off this weekend using the EXTRA-10 voucher code.
Cheaper here, as long as you select the free post option: http://www.venussports.co.uk/index.php?products_id=2214

Re: Winter studded tyres - bulk order?
« Reply #416 on: 14 September, 2011, 09:11:10 am »
Wow

does anyone in york/leeds want any of these?

It's 10% off if the order is over £100.  That brings the price down to £27 per tyre. I'd put in an order for 4 or more if some other people want them. They seem to have the 26" and 700c versions.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Winter studded tyres - group buy - £27 per tyre
« Reply #417 on: 14 September, 2011, 09:47:30 am »
<bump>
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #418 on: 15 September, 2011, 05:51:20 pm »

The Marathons are great for icy roads but were no good last winter on traffic-free bridleways and lanes.

I'd noticed that - except in my case it was more they couldn't cope very well with thick piles of snow on the edges of roads.  I guess the ideal winter tyre is one with a very thick chunky tread and studs.  Then it can handle thick snow and ice.

Does such a thing exist?

Yup.    My DIY snow tyres  :P

2 years of snow and I still love them.  Looking forwards to winter already.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #419 on: 15 September, 2011, 06:12:36 pm »

The Marathons are great for icy roads but were no good last winter on traffic-free bridleways and lanes.

I'd noticed that - except in my case it was more they couldn't cope very well with thick piles of snow on the edges of roads.  I guess the ideal winter tyre is one with a very thick chunky tread and studs.  Then it can handle thick snow and ice.

Does such a thing exist?
Yes - but there is a compromise. winter tyres are mainly categorised as EITHER snow OR ice tyres. I suspect - based on playing around and reading other folks' posts - that the mixed conditions of partial melt, deep snow and hard ice will ALWAYS be the most tricky to ride on. (It's like riding off-road - even with the right tyres you need to concentrate more than riding on smooth dry tarmac). Because our snow spells are short-lived, we spend a lot of time in partial melt / refreeze conditions. This is actually WORSE than the winter conditions in 'normal' countries, IMHO!

Schwalbe do a Snow tyre, I think I bought one from Wiggle. It has deeper tread but less studs than the "Winters". Other tyres exist from other brands - read back through the eleventy pages of this thread :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Euan Uzami

« Reply #420 on: 19 September, 2011, 09:10:07 am »
the marathon winters i ordered came last week. I don't think they'd be good in deep, sludgy mud, but I think they'd be fine on compacted snow.
It's probably rare that you'd have to ride through deep, virgin snow. More likely in the tyre track that's been flattened by car tyres.

« Reply #421 on: 19 September, 2011, 11:37:14 am »
Did not realise they came that wide, thought they were only 1.75"? If I were you I would sit on them, then auction them on here the day the ice comes.

I will be relying on my home made jobs again (converted Schwalbe Landcruisers), they were very safe last winter, but I only had about 16 'studs' (screws) in the back tyre so uphill traction was an issue, I will spend £5 and an evening's work to double them up before November.

Woops, yes they are 1.75

« Reply #422 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:30:57 pm »
Right, I have to say that Marathon Winters are the hardest tyre I have ever fitted!!!

Snapped 2 tyre levers, scratched my knees (don't wear shorts!) & my fingers are numb!

« Reply #423 on: 20 September, 2011, 11:17:03 pm »
Right, I have to say that Marathon Winters are the hardest tyre I have ever fitted!!!

Snapped 2 tyre levers, scratched my knees (don't wear shorts!) & my fingers are numb!

Err? You didn't order 26" and fit them to 700c did you?

;D

« Reply #424 on: 21 September, 2011, 07:20:07 am »
What's the difference??  :P