Author Topic: Winter studded tyres  (Read 103016 times)

cpjmathieson

Winter studded tyres
« on: 09 October, 2010, 07:52:25 pm »
Does anyone know where I can get a pair of 26" MTB studded tyres cheap ? I need a pair for my cheap old MTB so I can still commute to work through even the worst weather the winter has in store...cheers :thumbsup:

Re: Winter studded tyres
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2010, 09:43:31 pm »
I have been in correspondence with DotBike on this matter, and they are trying to import the Schwalbe winter ones, they have more expensive ones in stock.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2010, 09:44:55 pm »
Does anyone know where I can get a pair of 26" MTB studded tyres cheap ? I need a pair for my cheap old MTB so I can still commute to work through even the worst weather the winter has in store...cheers :thumbsup:

DIY Studded tyres

More than you ever wanted to know.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2010, 10:09:00 pm »
I have been in correspondence with DotBike on this matter, and they are trying to import the Schwalbe winter ones, they have more expensive ones in stock.

I've ordered a pair with my local bikeshop this week.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2010, 10:09:30 pm »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2010, 01:42:02 am »
Cheap studded tires tend to shed their studs after being ridden for a while, making them somewhat penny wise and pound foolish. Nokians, OTOH, seem to last forever. The construction and attachment of the studs are identical to studded tires used on motor vehicles, so they will just about last the life of the tire. I've found the Hakkapeliita W106 to be an excellent winter commuter tire. I did find it necessary to line the tire/tube interface with duct tape after a few years, although I'm not sure if that was the fault of the tires, the tubes or my habit of running the tires at maximum pressure.

If you're not willing or able to pay for Nokians or Schwalbes, the DIY approach is probably preferable to buying cheap studded tires.

NOKIAN ROLLSPEED

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2010, 07:55:53 pm »
Schwalbe had three different styles of studded tyre at the Cycle Show...
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:01:39 pm »
Schwalbe had three different styles of studded tyre at the Cycle Show...
That means we're in for six years of mild and wet winters until they get too dry and perished to sell...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:07:53 pm »
They had the Marathons, and the others seemed to be more aimed at snow and ice respectively.

Incidentally, Continental also had a stand.

0 studded tyres.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:17:13 pm »
I've found the Hakkapeliita W106

How well do these tyres cope with mixed riding, i.e. being ridden as a general shite-weather commuter on tarmac in addition to being used in ice / snow?

And how is the sizing, do they tend to be fatter than their indicated size? I could squeeze in the 35s as long as they are true to their sizing.

« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:55:40 pm »
I've found the Hakkapeliita W106

How well do these tyres cope with mixed riding, i.e. being ridden as a general shite-weather commuter on tarmac in addition to being used in ice / snow?

And how is the sizing, do they tend to be fatter than their indicated size? I could squeeze in the 35s as long as they are true to their sizing.

They tend to skid rather easily on bare pavement, so I would caution against getting into situations where you have to brake sharply. Otherwise they are fine on bare pavement, if a bit slow. I expect to deal with some ice and snow on just about every ride from November through April, so the only bike I ride during those months is the one with studded tires. If I lived in an area with more sporadic icy conditions I would probably alternate between studded tires and more conventional tires, either by having 2 bikes or by having a second set of wheels.

« Reply #11 on: 10 October, 2010, 09:00:11 pm »
Thanks Mark. I'd like to get a pair of not-too-expensive studded tyres just as a standby - I'm a wuss on ice / snow and there was a period of some weeks early this year when I didn't commute by bike. I'd like to avoid that this year.

I see the Nokians are not readily available in the UK though.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:57:24 am »
Order early! 

But all the studded tyres are the heaviest, slowest things evar on tarmac.  Trudle like a tractor.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:20:30 am »
I'm still dithering.  I managed everything last year, and only really ducked out the commute one day because I wasn't convinced the cars would be able to stop instead of rear-ending me.  But the attraction of having some more serious and capable hooves on the steed is very tempting indeed...
Getting there...

« Reply #14 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:46:39 am »
But all the studded tyres are the heaviest, slowest things evar on tarmac.  Trudle like a tractor.

Not a problem when they're pumped up hard, they only added 2 minutes to my 28 minute commute when I was breaking them in on dry tarmac. The Marathon Winter tyres don't have studs that near the central ridge, so they don't make contact with the tarmac most of the time your riding them pumped up near max pressure.

Of course, you should let the pressures down for use on snow/ice, which means the studs get to make contact earlier. Bit of a bugger if, like my commute, only the first/last km is ever icy/snowy enough to warrant studded tyres, the rest of the commute is on roads that get cleared quickly by the council and/or traffic (but it's still nice to have the studs there just in case you hit the odd patch of ice). Maybe I should investigate a more back-road route for snowy/icy days to make maximum use of them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:54:39 am »
I see the Nokians are not readily available in the UK though.

I bought my Hakkapeliitas through Bike Components (.de), who seem reasonably efficient.  The English language website is mostly readable, but you may have to drop the odd page of description of a product into something like Google Language Tools.

The Hakkapeliitas are there as "Nokian Hakka W106 Spikes Drahtreifen" (Drahtreifen=Clincher).
Actually, it is rocket science.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #16 on: 11 October, 2010, 11:15:19 am »
Spa Cycles have Schwalbe Winter Marathons in 700x35 and 26x1.75 listed at the moment for 32 quid

Last winter was very snowy / icey and I think I missed about a week of commuting due to road conditions.  I would guess that were be another 3 or 4 weeks when spikey tyres were "nice to have"
I am guessing the winter this year will be less severe so I am not getting special tyres

« Reply #17 on: 11 October, 2010, 11:59:12 am »
I did my sums and I would have been better off dropping £70 on ice specific tyres. I'm just not convinced that the performance is worth it. Is it?

« Reply #18 on: 11 October, 2010, 01:09:14 pm »
I just want to be able to bimble past people digging their cars out, and then turn up at work, at my normal time, whilst everyone else trundles in with tales of woe and difficulty in their travels. ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #19 on: 11 October, 2010, 01:33:23 pm »
On glass ice where you cannot ride safely, you can ride with ice tyres.

Snow performance is similar to MTB tyres.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #20 on: 11 October, 2010, 01:40:03 pm »
Studded tyres aren't a panacea to all road conditions, and on a steep camber you need to take care, possibly even when it's bone dry.

Peter White says:

Riding on ice with studded tires is like walking on ice that's been lightly covered with sand. It's pretty safe. You're not likely to fall unless you do something stupid. You're not going to have the same traction you would have on dry pavement. But you're going to have far more than you would with regular tires on ice. Keep in mind that there's ice down there and you'll be fine. Try to be a hero, and you'll probably pay a price.

Which seems like good advice.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 11 October, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »
Hm. Basically there's a range of conditions where you'd just not ride, where you would now ride with normal winter-caution.

Where roads are gritted, there's no need.  A tready tyre is ample.  Pick routes to take the main, gritted roads, and the majority of UK conditions are met.

The necessity case puts you up high or up north or car-free in the countryside, away from the gritten track.

The sheer-bloodymindedness case needs no arguing.   ;D

« Reply #22 on: 11 October, 2010, 02:53:00 pm »
There were mutterings a couple of weeks ago that a fair number of councils still haven't received their grit from the salt mines.
Also, there's a squeeze on local government spending (in case you hadn't noticed), and you may well find that some routes that were gritted last year or the year before won't be gritted this year.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #23 on: 11 October, 2010, 02:54:57 pm »
...which may lead to the following balancing act during any freeze we see:  Is it worth £70 in tyres to get to the first heavily trafficed road, where the cars do the magic?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #24 on: 11 October, 2010, 02:56:41 pm »
Cycle paths just don't get gritted.
Frost traps are everywhere.

I like my Haakepelliittaaas and have only fallen off them a few times (really rutted very hard ice).

Cambered roads aren't too much of a problem - just don't be a hero.

I got my A10s  for 10NOK each at a jumble sale. The W106 were nearer 260 NOK each and have lasted 12 years so far.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes