Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2996863 times)

The theology of beards. Seems in heaven all men will have a beard.

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2019/16-august/features/features/will-men-have-beards-in-heaven

But what about hell where no doubt a lot of us will end up. Will beards be allowed? Will moustaches be obligatory in purgatory?

We need to know.

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Maybe they'll be burnt off every day and grow back overnight for another go, like Prometheus's liver.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

Hell isn't nearly as hot as claimed. Certainly, Phoenix is a lot worse. Finestre, the Demon of Such Things, certainly doesn't have a beard but then she wouldn't.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
We've only got the word of, well, hellfire preachers that Hell is toasty-warm and it's not as if their reputation for truthiness is rated A1 at Lloyds.  As I recall, the Norse equivalent was notably chilly.  I'll let Thee Panel know about the current state of Phoenix in a couple of weeks time.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

It's languishing in the mid-40s at the moment. Phoenix, not Hell. Hell is, all said, far nicer. Even my apartment in Lower Clandestine, though you occasionally get a sniff of the river.

essexian

I wonder whether Hell smells of dead dogs as Arizona did when we last visited?  :o

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's currently 19 degrees and raining in Hell, or rather in Hel, which is on the Baltic. The ratio of bearded to unbearded men is unknown, as is the number of dead dogs.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

Strictly speaking all the dogs in Hell are dead, like the people. It's not like you can take a bus there (leastways, not since the latest round of cuts). Not everyone benefits from a Hell Portal under the hallway floor, as we do in The Asbestos Palace.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Just remembered: I've been there:

Hell

Phoenix be damned, it's in Hochfelden.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

Whereas Paradise is in Gloucestershire: https://goo.gl/maps/ZaTJQgcQtu8wNRdR9

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Last time I went to Arizona the weather was pleasantly warm, but then I was mostly at altitude.  Not been to Phoenix since 2005, when it didn't smell of dead dogs.  ["The Death of the Soul*" - Mr Sunshine], on the other hand, does smell of dead dogs, as that's the staple diet of the natives.

* Edmonton
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Strictly speaking all the dogs in Hell are dead, like the people. It's not like you can take a bus there (leastways, not since the latest round of cuts). Not everyone benefits from a Hell Portal under the hallway floor, as we do in The Asbestos Palace.

I beg to differ.  CS Lewis described a bus service to Hell in 'The Great Divorce'.

Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

He also described the first Tardis. Sort of. Would Dr Who have happened without the Wardrobe?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
This is too good for the crap jokes thread...

Q. What do you get if you cross Bill Clinton and Donald Trump?

A. Found in your cell, unresponsive.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Due to an overnight plumbing disaster, I have for the first time visited the public toilets here.
No graffiti and impressively clean and tidy.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

This popped up on my fb feed, and it is something that I could relate to.

"My mind is like my Internet browser. 19 tabs are open, 3 are frozen and I have no idea where the music is coming from"

This popped up on my fb feed, and it is something that I could relate to.

"My mind is like my Internet browser. 19 tabs are open, 3 are frozen and I have no idea where the music is coming from"

ObligXKCD: https://xkcd.com/609/   ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

essexian

Due to an overnight plumbing disaster, I have for the first time visited the public toilets here.
No graffiti and impressively clean and tidy.  :thumbsup:

No dead bodies then....

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/body-found-toilet-stafford-broad-3225168

Poor bloke, not a nice place to go (and no, I didn't mean it that way!)

Beardy

• Shedist
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Yesterday I checked my junk folder for an email I was expecting to find in the Useful folder.  It wasn't there but there was one from a friend which clearly was spam. It was of the "Hello Peter: ://xxx.xx/xxxHs John" variety. Also, the said John has been dead for nearly three years.

It crossed my mind that there must be millions of web presences that no one will ever clear up when that presence has shuffled off onto their Cloud.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Where does this belong? NSFW? nah. Gun thread? Nah.

Get a big dick

Facebook has auto-detected that it is my wedding anniversary and sent me a 'congratulations' message (how nice).

That has triggered the auto-add system. It is now serving me adds for divorce lawyers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

I’ve just had some food delivered from Waitrose & a friend is accusing me of being posh!  I’m a failed comprehensive school lad from Huyton. I can’t be posh!   :-[   She’s Head of Department at a prestigious European uni.  She’s posh !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Beardy

• Shedist
It’s ten years since it was a regular for the crowd that are currently in my kitchen, but they’re just as rowdy and seem to be consuming as much, if not more alcohol then they did. Hopefully the girls women they each now share their lives with will have a positive effect when it comes to clearing up at the end of their session.
I suppose I should feel flattered or something that they still feel welcome here.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.