Author Topic: Detail in tracks and routes  (Read 1364 times)

Detail in tracks and routes
« on: 21 April, 2014, 12:06:51 am »
I'm not sure I completely understand the whys and wherefores of detail level in tracks and routes.

Some tracks (such as the organiser's track on yesterday's Double Dutch) come up with instructions on my Vista HCx - as I approach a point, there will be something such as "Approaching turn 50" or "Turn N at point 21" or something. On others, nothing much seems to happen except that the track is shown on the map.

I'm not clear how these instructions are added. Does some software do it automatically? I use MapSource for most transfers to the GPS, but sometimes I've processed tracks through my rather old Fugawi 2 Ordnance Survey mapping program - maybe that strips information out? I realise that I can probably edit each point in a painstaking way to add my own comments, but that's a bit overkill. When I create my own tracks, are there things I can do to get more or less detail in this sense?

I understand XML in concept, but is there a good guide to GPX files?

Re: Detail in tracks and routes
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2014, 08:40:30 am »
For the NorfolknGood events,  I use Anquet mapping on the PC when compiling a Route.  The waypoints are numbered WP00001, WP00002, etc.

After I get all of the points in place, I revisit each one and edit the waypoint numbers as per the routesheet, eg  5 R@T, 6 Left at TL, 7 1st exit O. By using the number as well as the instruction, each is a unique waypoint.

I think this was how FF was teaching us to do it several years ago.

Keith

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2014, 08:43:48 am »
Instructions embedded in the GPX (as Comment or Description tags) are rarely displayed by the Vista (may be different with some other models).  The instructions you do see are generated by the GPS using the on-board map.  Keith's method above hi-jacks the Waypoint Name tags, which can be made to display.

'Official' GPX schema: http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp
My own thoughts about GPX (probably not what you are looking for)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Euan Uzami

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2014, 09:19:12 am »
I'm not sure I completely understand the whys and wherefores of detail level in tracks and routes.

Some tracks (such as the organiser's track on yesterday's Double Dutch) come up with instructions on my Vista HCx - as I approach a point, there will be something such as "Approaching turn 50" or "Turn N at point 21" or something. On others, nothing much seems to happen except that the track is shown on the map.

I'm not clear how these instructions are added. Does some software do it automatically? I use MapSource for most transfers to the GPS, but sometimes I've processed tracks through my rather old Fugawi 2 Ordnance Survey mapping program - maybe that strips information out? I realise that I can probably edit each point in a painstaking way to add my own comments, but that's a bit overkill. When I create my own tracks, are there things I can do to get more or less detail in this sense?

I understand XML in concept, but is there a good guide to GPX files?

It's either the name of a waypoint ("wpt" element in the file) or the name of a routepoint ("rtept" element) that gives these instructions and that it's whether they make it onto your device or not that would determine whether those instructions are shown.
According to the specification trkpt elements can contain name, cmt and desc. But I have never known devices to interpret these, but I have known them to interpret wpt and rtept name. Like FF says though they often ignore cmt and desc even though they seem a more appropriate place for the instruction, and only use name.

They may not make it for two reasons, either they're not in the file in the first place, or the program you use to transfer them didn't send them over.
I know my mapsource has a 'send to device' button that then comes up with 4 checkboxes - maps, routes, waypoints, and tracks - and it will only send those elements that I tick.
My etrex 30 is a lot simpler as you just plonk the whole file onto it , the OS just sees it as a USB drive and no additional software is necessary to transfer the route. Which is how it should be imho.

I would hazard a guess that it's the fairies that were giving you the instructions on the double dutch though because if you were using the file that is on the AUK site (555g.zip) then there are no wpts or rtepts in there whatsoever, just the one track. Nothing with any instructions in there.

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2014, 09:53:18 am »
I've looked, and no, you're right, there isn't anything in there. Clearly I was away with the fairies...

However, I was definitely getting something. I'll have to have a think about this.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2014, 12:14:18 pm »
They may not make it for two reasons, either they're not in the file in the first place, or the program you use to transfer them didn't send them over.

The Comment tags are usually transferred I think, but simply not used when in routing mode.  They're obviously there because you can go into the menus and inspect a point and find, for example, a useful telephone number embedded in the comments field.

I know my mapsource has a 'send to device' button that then comes up with 4 checkboxes - maps, routes, waypoints, and tracks - and it will only send those elements that I tick.

Transferring routes but UNticking waypoints is a very useful trick, on older GPSs, to defeat the Waypoint limit (which can be as low as 500 on older Etrexes).  The Routes still work perfectly well, but your available points (in total, between several Routes) rises to around 2400 even on these old models, and several thousand more on newer ones.  If you don't have Mapsource you can achieve the same thing by a simple edit of the GPX file.
This Waypoint limit isn't really an issue though on newer models, which have specified limits of 1000 or 2000 points, more than enough for most purposes.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll