Author Topic: Tomatoes in fridge  (Read 1594 times)

Tomatoes in fridge
« on: 25 October, 2016, 11:30:46 am »
Do you keep your tomatoes in the fridge?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2109336-heres-why-putting-tomatoes-in-the-fridge-makes-them-tasteless/

As some consumers have long known, refrigerating them permanently impairs their flavour, but the reasons were elusive. New insights into why this happens may some day help us develop varieties that retain their flavour during cold storage.

Re: Tomatoes in fridge
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2016, 12:22:56 pm »
As it happens I do, but I suspect that ALL tomatoes are chilled for transport, so the only way to get the best flavour is to grow your own and eat them off the plant.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2016, 02:17:54 pm »
I suspect most produce loses capacity for developing flavour after refrigeration.
Supermarket fruit(qv) probably needs 4 days at room temperature to get a chance of any taste.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2016, 02:27:32 pm »
I suspect most produce loses capacity for developing flavour after refrigeration.
Supermarket fruit(qv) probably needs 4 days at room temperature to get a chance of any taste.

That depends on whether you like the taste of blue fur...
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2016, 02:41:41 pm »
Blue fur is wonderful in cheese but partner won't touch it.

We eat our food before it goes furry...
...unless it does this in the fridge, which happens quite frequently.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2016, 12:41:51 pm »
Most of my food is covered in cat fur.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2016, 03:28:51 pm »
I am aware of the tomatoes thing, but given that we only shop once a fortnight I strongly suspect they would not survive that long unrefrigerated.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2016, 03:49:36 pm »
I don't refrigerator tomatoes at this time of year, but in summer they go mushy pretty quick. As said, like most fruit and veg, it's been harvested unripe and transported chilled, so it's a bit moot. All keeping them at room temperature does is ensure any volatiles are more likely to be so. Same for strawbs and fruit, let it warm up.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 27 October, 2016, 12:21:21 am »
My deliveries from Sainsbury's vary from 5 to 15 days apart. I agree many things won't last more than three or four days in the kitchen. The trick is to get them out soon enough to ripen but not spoil.
We survive.
Well.

« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2016, 07:16:39 pm »
Tomatoes these days seem to be  a sideline  of the Canonball manufactory. Are they irradiating these for longevity?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain