Author Topic: Amazon packaging  (Read 1095 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Amazon packaging
« on: 21 November, 2012, 09:24:04 pm »
This could almost be in POBI

Amazon packaging - I've ordered 16 AAA batteries. One set of four is the black square in the box on the right. On the left are the other 3 sets of 4, and the box at the back is the outer packaging. I'm fairly certain the value of cardboard is greater than that of batteries.

Re: Amazon packaging
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2012, 09:28:50 pm »
Were it not for the fact that the server's creaking under the strain, I'd do a search for the previous threads on hilariously excessive packaging.

What's pictured is right up there with the best of them. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

tonycollinet

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2012, 09:31:38 pm »
I'm happy to report that the batteries have not been damaged in transit.  :thumbsup:  :facepalm:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2012, 09:38:37 pm »
Amazon.

Stuffing the great British Taxpayer and stuffing the environment at the same time.

What are the odds that all four of your packages came from different suppliers...
It is simpler than it looks.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:08:59 pm »
I expect the size of the packaging is something to do with their robot pickers. Cheeper, more reliable and able to work efficiently and withoit breaks 24 hours a day.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

tonycollinet

« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:15:40 pm »
Seems like Amazon have a special system for giving feedback on packaging. I've just left this:

Seriously - are you going to send a courier to pick up the heap of cardboard now consuming my living room? 16 aaa batteries in mass of cardboard about 50x the volume of the batteries. I am in danger of no longer shopping at amazon for fear of running out of habitable planet - get a grip!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2012, 07:49:04 am »
There's been a similar thread on another forum about Chain Reaction and packaging ... here's my contribution :

I think you'll find that a lot of the packaging "decisions" that most of the mail order outfits make are dictated by the delivery service .. standard sizes of carton that can be transported, handled, sorted with more automation etc mean lower charges per package ... that's certainly the case with Amazon.
The delivery service is also probably related to cost too .... don't forget that most big mail order suppliers will have a fixed (or small range) price for ANY package ... and that bears no relation to Royal Mail or other carriers' published charges. Doubtless CRC, and the others, have such a deal - the difference in cost/handling for the carton makes sense for them.
(I recall that the software supplier from days of yore, jungle.com (remember them?) had a fixed price delivery cost of about 30p from Royal Mail ... the "street price" being, then, over £1)

Rob

BTW - I'm expecting some CR2032 batteries from Amazon for a couple of bike computers  ... I'm just hoping they can get the truck into our road  ;D ;D

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #7 on: 22 November, 2012, 09:21:55 am »
It's not just Amazon - one bike tyre bought from Evans, it turned up in a box that would fit a TRACTOR tyre! It was HUGE.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #8 on: 22 November, 2012, 09:22:10 am »
I've got a cupboard full of that stuff, it comes in useful if I sell stuff on ebay (or anywhere else). But Jesus, I've got far more than I'm ever likely to use.

« Reply #9 on: 22 November, 2012, 09:25:34 am »
SD Cards are always impressive.  You could deliver them in an envelope (a small envelope), so the boxes that all the ones I've bought recently are outstanding.  The manufacturers package them in plastic, presumably to make sure they aren't easily lost, but then Amazon, and their ilk, put a big cardboard box around that. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

rr

« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2012, 10:54:00 pm »
Tiny compared with this from Rose.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 30 November, 2012, 01:59:20 am »
Batteries from battery-house.co.uk usually arrive in an unpadded DL envelope.