Author Topic: [LEL17] The 7 types of LEL participant, or maybe more.  (Read 3251 times)

[LEL17] The 7 types of LEL participant, or maybe more.
« on: 30 January, 2017, 11:42:48 am »
I was exploring the idea of long Audaxes being the equivalent  of the first section of 'Saving Private Ryan', the compressed action we train for. So I was looking at some military websites, one of which was a guide to the 7 types you find in an infantry platoon. I suppose I'd be nearest to 'Hemingway'.

Neither a patriot nor a fighter, this guy joined the infantry because he read “A Farewell to Arms.” As the only liberal in the platoon, he can often be found smoking his pipe and talking about podcasts to no one who cares. The peace sign on his helmet is not intended as an anti-war symbol, but rather a signal to the world that, yes, he’s seen and appreciates Stanley Kubrick’s “Full Metal Jacket” (“but the book is better”).

http://taskandpurpose.com/7-guys-you-meet-in-every-infantry-platoon/

I'd see my strength as analysis, weakness as excessive detachment.
Favourite forecourt food; individual pork pie, also a subsidiary weakness.

I wonder how many distinct types we'll see on LEL 2017.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: The 7 types of LEL participant, or maybe more.
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2017, 02:16:22 pm »
Very good.

I am sure that by the end of the day we will see which forumites have a bit too much time on their hands.  :D
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2017, 02:29:42 pm »
I have encountered 'Retro Techno'. Rides a steel-framed fixed, but has recorded every inch of the ride, and their power output, and their heart rate. Spends their downtime removing the GPS tracks from inside controls, before putting it all on Strava.

Seems to like Falafel And Houmous Wraps.

Strength; knows every inch of the route.

Weakness; will describe every inch of the route, with estimated power output and expected heart rate and predicted cadence. Tells everyone it's 78", but might flip it for 74" at the turn.

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2017, 02:53:45 pm »
I was exploring the idea of long Audaxes being the equivalent  of the first section of 'Saving Private Ryan', the compressed action we train for.

I hope for the sake of all those riding that LEL is not the cycling equivalent of the first section of 'SPR' in terms of the carnage!

(Actually referred to the fictitious role Mr T Hanks plays, Captain John H Miller, in my input on leadership this morning!)

« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2017, 03:09:44 pm »
I only mean Saving Private Ryan in the sense of filming pace. For the 2015 PBP start sequence, 3 of us used 8 different cameras. Filming from the podium, in front of the start line, within the waiting start groups, from a motorbike in front of, and among Group A, and I filmed with three different cameras on my bicycle in group H until Mortagne.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2f7-2i393M

The rider with the bar-bag and no helmet was riding for a team entered by the Singer bike company, he and his partner feature in the German TV PBP film. So I suppose he's a type in himself, the sponsored rider with a media profile.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2017, 03:13:23 pm »
Worryingly, I think I fit mostly into the "5 Deployments" box {No matter how shitty your current deployment is, you better fucking believe 5 Deployments has been through worse} with a side order of "L'il 1st Sergent" {Remember how on the first day of basic training or boot camp (or “holiday” if you’re in the Air Force), there was that one guy who somehow already knew all of the rules?}.

If so, my strengths are along the lines of:
Sleeping through mortar attacks and
Quoting the Ranger handbook

While my weaknesses are:
Authority and
Making friends

At least I am not a "Stinky"!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2017, 08:03:28 pm »
If you just want to categorise YACF riders, this is often useful:

http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2017, 08:19:00 pm »
Which one are you Matt?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2017, 10:01:38 pm »
None of the above - I don't deal well with authority
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:26:02 am »
Which one are you Matt?
I was expecting you to tell me!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles