Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL 2017  (Read 121709 times)

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
Re: LEL 2017
« Reply #25 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:09:23 pm »
I understand your think, Chuffy, but instead of creating less work you are suggesting the team do MORE???
Um, not really. I'm suggesting that AUK look at having a small team of permanent, paid staff, rather than relying on unpaid volunteers. Obviously it wouldn't be viable to have them just work on LEL, hence my suggestion of a series of prestige events which would be the gold standard in terms of what was being offered (catering, sleeping arrangements etc). These would complement LEL and could share many resources, such as bed stock, electronic brevet systems etc.

Looking at other posts on here, we're basically sticking to the old model of relying on goodwill and volunteers. That, I feel, is the point that Danial and Fidgetbuzz are trying to make - it's not sustainable and we need something more permanent.
Powered by Minions

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #26 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:14:50 pm »
Looking at other posts on here, we're basically sticking to the old model of relying on goodwill and volunteers. That, I feel, is the point that Danial and Fidgetbuzz are trying to make - it's not sustainable and we need something more permanent.

I am not sure that is their point, I may be wrong though (it happened once before; 1997 from memory).  I think the suggestion is that it is not sustainable with a very small team (really just Sue, Keith, Danial, Roger and John dealing with the route). 

The look to have created a good framework to now expand the teams and parcel up tasks for others to take on (either as third party sub-contractors or a volunteer role). 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #27 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:15:22 pm »
Fair point, understood.

Maybe mis-reading on my part of your original post, I thought you were suggesting the same should be used to organise these events, hence the "not less work, but more"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #28 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:19:22 pm »
I think someone from 'outside' of audax/YACF would be astonished that there are no paid staff involved in putting on an event the size of LEL. I don't mean paying volunteers, but the project management aspects of it are, as had been said, a full-time job. I think a paid PM or team who then delegated to people who volunteered would prevent the original organisers ending up with 2 jobs' worth of work. Ideally they would have taken part in LEL or volunteered this year so the knowledge acquired this year is not lost. As someone following this purely online and having no involvement otherwise I am amazed that there is no paid PM team!

The other thing is advertising for volunteers in the cycling press. I read various cycling magazines, but didn't see anything about LEL in any of them aside from Arrive (obviously) and an article in the CTC mag which didn't mention volunteering AFAIK. Maybe look at how the Olympic 'game makers' were recruited? - this type of thing is something a paid team would have time/resources to do.

As I say I had no involvement this year, but maybe an outsiders perspective could be helpful?
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #29 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:24:16 pm »

I am not sure that is their point, I may be wrong though (it happened once before; 1997 from memory).  I think the suggestion is that it is not sustainable with a very small team (really just Sue, Keith, Danial, Roger and John dealing with the route). 

The look to have created a good framework to now expand the teams and parcel up tasks for others to take on (either as third party sub-contractors or a volunteer role).

Maybe I've got it wrong but a small(ish) team of people who are in charge and can co-ordinate things seems to be the most logical way of running the event. Somebody has to be in charge, even if other bits of the operation can be diverted to sub-teams of volunteers. What isn't sustainable is relying on volunteers for the core team, it's simply too much to ask.
Powered by Minions

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #30 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:28:04 pm »
A couple of posts have mentioned a paid for full-time team/PM - is there any sort of budget for this anywhere?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:30:02 pm »
[Purely FYI:]
We had a couple of ex-Olympics staff at Pock. They had no previous experience of bike events. Plus one lady who'd worked on Pro Races who had never heard of Audax.

An unpaid management team is not unique to Audax - I think many 'medium' sized running events (including the 100km+ stuff) do the same (local marathon to me does - I've met the Race Director).

There must be a 'critical mass' at which it becomes too big. If Danial says it was like a 2nd full-time job then clearly we have nearly reached that limit, unless we can reduce the workload for the core team. Personally I think we would lose a little part of LEL's soul if it was run by professionals. For me this is another reason not to grow things, at least not yet.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #32 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:30:24 pm »
One thing that does need separating out is publicity/press liaison - not having a go at Danial in anyway, but that is in itself a big task and it would be great to engage the local communities better next time.  People were genuinely interested when you explained it to them - and many were happy to sit out front of their house and cheer people on.   People just didn't know it was coming through, even in control towns.  Every pub/cafe on the route could be informed somehow - it was nice to see a board out front a couple of them and some of them must have done some good trade (taking a little pressure off controls as well). 

It made a massive difference to riders to get a bit of encouragement, and more of that sort of thing would be brilliant.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #33 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:34:19 pm »
A couple of posts have mentioned a paid for full-time team/PM - is there any sort of budget for this anywhere?

Even one person paid for 2.5 years at £20k p.a. = £50k

That's £50+ on the entry fee for 1000 riders.

Or £2.50 on the annual AUK subs for 4 years for 5000 members.

I just don't think paying for a full time role is workable at all.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:37:44 pm »
It made a massive difference to riders to get a bit of encouragement, and more of that sort of thing would be brilliant.
There's no doubt this is a key part of PBP's appeal (unless you are riding 2 hours out of time and then everyone f**ks off to bed at 1am on a lonely final night ... /whinge)

I just wonder if we had the rider flow for this to gain any momentum. Folks could be standing in the rain for hours only to see 3-4 riders. I really don't know.  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #35 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:38:13 pm »

Don't forget that with the required employer contributions on top of the headline salary you could probably double that, so £100+ on the entry fee.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #36 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:41:57 pm »
There's no doubt this is a key part of PBP's appeal (unless you are riding 2 hours out of time and then everyone f**ks off to bed at 1am on a lonely final night ... /whinge)

I just wonder if we had the rider flow for this to gain any momentum. Folks could be standing in the rain for hours only to see 3-4 riders. I really don't know.  :-\

I agree - and it's going to be limited, but every little helps and having someone who is solely responsible for getting the message into the Pocklington Post would help with this.  It all adds to the rider experiences and the general awareness of long-distance cycling, along with potentially helping some local businesses increase their turnover for a couple of days.

It's especially relevant in control towns where the rider flow will be there.

Again - not having a go at Danial in any way at all - but having to handle the press etc. as well as everything else means that the task could certainly be given more attention if someone else looked after it.
Right! What's next?

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #37 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:45:57 pm »

Yes, the money has to come from somewhere and I don't expect AUK to have a magic pot of it. However, £50 on the entry fee (+ £2.50 on subs) seems a reasonable increase, for the potential benefit. Bear in mind that I'm not talking about hiring people for the sole purpose of running LEL - they'd be expected to organise a series of smaller events (National 200/400/600?) as complementary/fundraising events in non LEL years. I agree that this isn't just something that can be accomplished with an airy wave of the hand but it can be done (small charity/voluntary groups run like this all the time) and would get away from the goodwill/volunteer model.
Powered by Minions

« Reply #38 on: 05 August, 2013, 02:53:40 pm »

AUK might be a volunteer run organisation but it's not poor, not by a long stretch. We have massive surpluses sitting in the bank doing, ISTM, fuck all.
This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that the surplus should be doing. Our subs already generate this level of excess.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #39 on: 05 August, 2013, 03:02:05 pm »
Yes, the money has to come from somewhere and I don't expect AUK to have a magic pot of it.
;D It has, though...

« Reply #40 on: 05 August, 2013, 03:05:41 pm »
AUK might be a volunteer run organisation but it's not poor, not by a long stretch. We have massive surpluses sitting in the bank doing, ISTM, fuck all.
This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that the surplus should be doing. Our subs already generate this level of excess.

The existing surplus is mostly earmarked for the Strategic Plan (i.e. promoting long distance cycling) for all Audax UK members, and promoting it to target new members.

I think that's a better thing to use it for than to help subsidise an event that is only once every 4 years and gets only a small percentage (under 10%) of current Audax UK members riding it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #41 on: 05 August, 2013, 03:06:48 pm »
Yes, the money has to come from somewhere and I don't expect AUK to have a magic pot of it.
;D It has, though...
Well, in that case...