Author Topic: Better Driving Please website  (Read 3528 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Better Driving Please website
« on: 24 April, 2008, 10:11:49 am »
I read about this on BBC, it looks really great, unfortunately I can't remember the plates of any of my friends in the uk!

http://www.betterdrivingplease.com

You can report incidents of good driving too.

It would be hilarious in France, I mean to report people for poor parking would include the entire nation, 90% of motorcyclists weave through traffic, and (I know, I know here we go) it's common practice for most cyclists to jump red lights, go down 1 ways the wrong way and all that (I've even done it on my club run).

Re: Better Driving Please website
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2008, 04:30:41 pm »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2008, 04:49:28 pm »
It's all very well meaning, and the few reports I've looked at sound legitimate ...
but what can it actually achieve?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2008, 05:24:43 pm »
http://www.betterdrivingplease.com/passparameters.asp?Topic=NewSearch&RegistrationPlate=CYCLIST

Lots of drivers with this plate, I see ;D

Interestingly, most of those reports come from just three people.
Getting there...

spen666

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2008, 06:04:47 pm »
Interesting to see this today on the BBC website

What is even more interesting is that on right hand side of page under the heading RELATED LINKS - there is only a link to the Police website, not to the website of Mr McGavin. Indeed the BBC do not mention the name of the website in their story.

An attempt to stop people forming their own view?

Police condemn 'bad drivers' site 

The website also logs reports of good driving

A website which publishes registration plates of "bad drivers" could lead to vigilantism, police have said.

The site's founder Andrew McGavin, from Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, said more than 11,000 reports of alleged road offences have been logged.

He claimed the problem of bad drivers was not being taken seriously by the government. He added drivers appearing on the site can contest any complaint.

But police said people should report road offences to local officers.

Mr McGavin, who has been running the site for more than a year, said: "I built the website because people told me not enough was being done by police about speeding and dangerous driving.

The website is an embarrassment to the police, in a way it is naming and shaming them to get more done

Andrew McGavin, website founder

"People will drive at 40mph in a 30mph zone, that extra speed would kill a child if they were hit.

"The site has seen more than 11,000 reports, including more than 2,000 'mobile phone drivers'.

"But any driver highlighted for poor driving can explain, they can put a comment on a number plate, they could put a green report on their own vehicle or send an email saying 'I don't think this is right'.

"The website is an embarrassment to the police, in a way it is naming and shaming them to get more done."

In a statement Thames Valley Police said: "We sympathise with the concerns that people have about poor driving in their local areas.

"But we do not condone this type of website because we are concerned it may lead to vigilantism.

"We would recommend that people contact their neighbourhood policing team about any concerns they may have about poor driving in their area."

Mr McGavin said he had no intention of shutting down the website.

BBC Censorsed Story