Author Topic: Easter Arrow 2017  (Read 32786 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Easter Arrow 2017
« Reply #50 on: 09 November, 2016, 12:58:41 pm »
Basingstoke team has two members and looking for two more.   A flatter route has been found - Basingstoke - Wallingford - Leighton Buzzard - Biggleswade - Chatteris - Boston - Brigg or nearby - Goole - York (at about 440km) with opportunities to extend if fair weather and good legs.  Probable 9am start.  After the Upper Thames at the weekend am more confident about being able to do long periods of dial-a-speed on the front thanks to the remarkable improvement provided by tri-bars on my 14 year old Roberts Audax machine

Could be interested, I'm Southampton way.  What happens on the way back?

I'll catch a train.  If well organised possibly a mid afternoon Cross Coutry back to Reading and then have a short leg loosener back from there.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #51 on: 09 November, 2016, 03:38:54 pm »
Is the right answer!  I thought for a moment there may have been a 'I'll be riding home' response...

Would depart be 0900 Friday?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #52 on: 09 November, 2016, 04:28:59 pm »
Is the right answer!  I thought for a moment there may have been a 'I'll be riding home' response...

900 or 930 depending on team member preferences.  Personally I prefer to start a 24 hour event about midday so that I've got more inthe tank in the early hours but I seem to be in the minority, so it will be a morning start.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #53 on: 09 November, 2016, 04:37:46 pm »
I could be interested in joining your team if you can accommodate an old, fat, slow bloke. Getting to Basingstoke may cause a problem. Going by train does not look good for the morning, even starting at 6 gets me to you after 9. Could go the day before, bike or train, and stop over but then would have to carry extra to York. Looks like it could do with some serious planning.

« Reply #54 on: 09 November, 2016, 08:23:01 pm »
I'd like to join an Easter Arrow team. Still only avg 25kph cycling pace on long rides (over 100km), so I'd imagine too slow for TeamTG.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #55 on: 11 November, 2016, 05:38:38 am »

There are direct trains from York to Southampton. Example York 12:35, arrive 16:09 NO CHANGES ......

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #56 on: 11 November, 2016, 06:57:20 am »
I want to do an arrow this year, and reach 100 points (not started yet), and do four essex calendar events for the essex sr (don't want to rely on ece or diy). I need an arrow team!

I can try to work out an easy as possible 500km route if you like.
It'd probably work best as a 9-10am start, head to Kings Lynn area, do a short loop before heading west in the evening and going pretty direct to York via the Trent. With a SW wind, you should get a good tailwind to Kings Lynn area, do the loop while waiting for the wind to drop, then West with a light crosswind and north with a cross-tailwind. It'd have very little climbing too.
The wind might not play ball, but you could always cut the loop out and go for a shorter distance.

I'd be up for this if my Easter camping trip doesn't clash (waiting on daughter's holiday dates).

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #57 on: 17 November, 2016, 10:27:12 pm »
Up to three likelies for a Basingstoke - York arrow, so just needing one more to put an entry in.

« Reply #58 on: 29 December, 2016, 11:02:23 am »
I'm looking for an arrow team to join, somewhere vaguely near Oxford/Swindon (MK or Bristol would be fine) and planning a route of around 500km?

I'll be riding fixed and happy to spend plenty of time on the front  :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #59 on: 11 January, 2017, 10:03:53 am »
A few things to note (and maybe it's worth adding a sticky to the top of this board for this kind of info):

If heading via Leeming/NTR, the Costa at Leeming services is now 24hr, the McDonalds likewise.  If they are out of commission then the next services (called Exelby Services, but the opposite direction to Exelby from Leeming (i.e. they lie to the North, not the South)) which are ~1mile/2Km away, has a couple of Costa coffee machine, a bike rack (the bus shelter type), a diner, showers and loos.  They are also 24hr.
There is a new bypass between the A1 and the Leeming/Morton on Swale road, it's generally quite nice to cycle on (certainly much nicer than the old road used to be) as it is wide, has half decent sight lines and a wide hard shoulder for escape maneuvers.
None of the supermarkets in NTR are 24 hours.  The Co-ops (all 5 of them) have cash machines, though (though one, on Romanby Green) is only accessible when the store is open.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #60 on: 11 January, 2017, 06:12:45 pm »
A few things to note (and maybe it's worth adding a sticky to the top of this board for this kind of info):

If heading via Leeming/NTR, the Costa at Leeming services is now 24hr, the McDonalds likewise.  If they are out of commission then the next services (called Exelby Services, but the opposite direction to Exelby from Leeming (i.e. they lie to the North, not the South)) which are ~1mile/2Km away, has a couple of Costa coffee machine, a bike rack (the bus shelter type), a diner, showers and loos.  They are also 24hr.
There is a new bypass between the A1 and the Leeming/Morton on Swale road, it's generally quite nice to cycle on (certainly much nicer than the old road used to be) as it is wide, has half decent sight lines and a wide hard shoulder for escape maneuvers.
None of the supermarkets in NTR are 24 hours.  The Co-ops (all 5 of them) have cash machines, though (though one, on Romanby Green) is only accessible when the store is open.

Thanks for the info.
I need to get my finger out now and start making plans.

« Reply #61 on: 11 January, 2017, 07:15:49 pm »
I'm looking for an arrow team to join, somewhere vaguely near Oxford/Swindon (MK or Bristol would be fine) and planning a route of around 500km?

I'll be riding fixed and happy to spend plenty of time on the front  :)
I want to attempt my first arrow, live in MK, and ride geared (steel frame!). I bet TG has done a route from here before.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Bairn Again

« Reply #62 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:53:43 am »

Thanks for the info.
I need to get my finger out now and start making plans.

Yup me too.  In the absence of a team offer I cant refuse I am most likely to plan a DIY 400 from Edinburgh following largely the same route as the arrow my team did last time (Abington, Longtown, Alston, Barnard Castle, Darlington, Northallerton, Leeming, Thirsk, Ripon, B'bridge, York). 

That way I get to join the finish line fun in York, with a more generous time limit by four hours and if the weather is vile I wont be letting anybody down by not riding, for the cost of an advance single York - Edinburgh ticket.   

« Reply #63 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:50:10 pm »
Time to sort out the ACME teams  :thumbsup:

I think Tomsk has his team in hand.  Some of our faster members may have been asked to join it already.

People who have expressed an interest, other than Tomsk:

Me
Bobb
Huggy (maybe)
Jiberjaber
The Straggler
Psyclist
Sid James
Tippers
The Hustler
JSabine
Oaky
Phil W

Have I missed anyone ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #64 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:57:55 pm »
Has anyone started the annual debate about which pub to end up in?

For information, The Postern Gate is the one that Teethgrinder has been recommending for years.  Much bigger that the Punch Up, bigger outdoor seating area to comandeer for bikes etc.  About an extra 3 minutes bike ride from the station.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #65 on: 16 January, 2017, 07:26:57 pm »
Have I missed anyone ?

Not me — I'm putting together a Cambridge team at the moment  :thumbsup:

We'll see you at The Ivy Wall in Spalding for dinner  ;)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 16 January, 2017, 07:51:56 pm »
Has anyone started the annual debate about which pub to end up in?

For information, The Postern Gate is the one that Teethgrinder has been recommending for years.  Much bigger that the Punch Up, bigger outdoor seating area to comandeer for bikes etc.  About an extra 3 minutes bike ride from the station.

Is it worth someone (possibly a local, hint-hint!) letting them know we're* coming?

(*"we" being "the finest arrow riders of AUK" - not necessarily including this member)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrinklyLion

« Reply #67 on: 16 January, 2017, 08:04:29 pm »
Well I offered last year but nobody really seemed to know where you were all going to end up....

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #68 on: 16 January, 2017, 08:49:46 pm »
I know it goes against the grain, but someone needs to put their foot down with a heavy hand and make a decision. It will not be universally accepted and there will be objections. Will someone just please make our collective mind up and choose a boozer that does breakfast. I will go along with the decision as long as I do not have to make it, and it is staggering distance from the station.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #69 on: 16 January, 2017, 09:00:22 pm »
Indeed that would be good - but it won't be me getting all "mummy knows best" on you, since I'm nowt to do with the organising and not riding.  But I'll keep an eye on t'thread and if you come to a decision I'll happily convey a message the publican of your collective choice in a "the strange people on the internet said" sort of manner :)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #70 on: 16 January, 2017, 10:42:47 pm »
Is everyone aware of the 'not welcome at the Punchbowl' issue? (Audax forum thread + the poll in this place)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #71 on: 17 January, 2017, 07:33:30 am »
Indeed that would be good - but it won't be me getting all "mummy knows best" on you, since I'm nowt to do with the organising and not riding.  But I'll keep an eye on t'thread and if you come to a decision I'll happily convey a message the publican of your collective choice in a "the strange people on the internet said" sort of manner :)
Ah someone else like me .... would someone else please make my mind up.

I will never be president of anything.

BB

« Reply #72 on: 17 January, 2017, 09:28:58 am »
Hi BB, I know it's getting a bit late but is there room on the Basingstoke/Reading team for one more?  Thanks, Simon

« Reply #73 on: 17 January, 2017, 11:11:28 am »

Useful Info, thanks

There seems to be a new road north of Bedale which bypasses Bedale and Leeming and skirts the Exelby SVCs - A684 I think.
Google street view shows it as not yet open.  Is this the road you are talking about?
@CorbieLinnRider

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #74 on: 17 January, 2017, 11:48:59 am »
@Revolution9, yes, I completely forgot that it carries on to Bedale!

I can confirm that it is completely open, as I regularly use it to get to either the A1 or to Bedale for football matches.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State