Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 100966 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: The Dean
« Reply #175 on: 30 March, 2017, 12:49:30 pm »
No, not humblebragging, just checked my town names again (sorry not a native, I get confused!) I am revising to Sunset coming off the Ridgeway. Does that make us all feel better?!?!?

Unfortunately that doesn't help much - the route allows two goes at coming off the Ridgeway at sunset :P

(the 2nd crossing is after Lambourn - most folks don't notice such a gentle climb).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #176 on: 30 March, 2017, 01:27:25 pm »
No, not humblebragging, just checked my town names again (sorry not a native, I get confused!) I am revising to Sunset coming off the Ridgeway. Does that make us all feel better?!?!?

Unfortunately that doesn't help much - the route allows two goes at coming off the Ridgeway at sunset :P

(the 2nd crossing is after Lambourn - most folks don't notice such a gentle climb).

Ah ok, that makes sense of the long drag *in the dark* out of Lambourn.

Well it wasn't my intention but I feel a little better in condition now! I guess I need to stop looking at the front of the field for comparison and start looking around me - e.g. STFU, look at the scenery and don't forget to enjoy myself ;-)

« Reply #177 on: 04 April, 2017, 09:27:37 pm »
Results will be in soon folks - just waiting for the last postal brevets - we got one this AM and will leave the trad 14-days as usual

ACH

« Reply #178 on: 05 April, 2017, 01:27:07 pm »
So did anyone take the ring road back to Peartree avoiding the city centre?

« Reply #179 on: 05 April, 2017, 01:31:24 pm »
Not me. Quite enjoy a bit of traffic through the city after the very sleepy villages.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

LFCC

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #180 on: 05 April, 2017, 02:11:58 pm »
You can avoid both the ring road and city centre by taking the cycle path from the Botley road to Wytham then road to wolvercote. I would have done this if I'd been solo,  but was riding with others and didn't want to get everyone lost if I went wrong.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #181 on: 05 April, 2017, 03:25:03 pm »
You can avoid both the ring road and city centre by taking the cycle path from the Botley road to Wytham then road to wolvercote. I would have done this if I'd been solo,  but was riding with others and didn't want to get everyone lost if I went wrong.
I took that route, it was loads nicer than the city centre route we did on the Poor Student. I'm deffo doing that in the future!

John

« Reply #182 on: 07 April, 2017, 07:12:41 pm »
It was obviously a bad omen starting the Dean this year without you Andy  ! I had a difficult first week and had to stay down in Oxford but I travelled back to Chester last Saturday and seem to be on the mend now. Collision  actually broke 7 ribs, 2 transverse processes on my thoracic vertebrae and partially collapsed my left lung. I was lucky overall though not to have been killed or paralysed. The GPS had me at 20 mph on impact and he was doing 30/40 himself.  Seems I was flung over the bonnet into the windscreen on my back and that's the impact that damaged me. Fingers crossed I'll be riding again in another 4 weeks.

« Reply #183 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:40:10 pm »
Best of British Marky Boy  :thumbsup:

Results for this years' Dean will be finalised tomorrow folks.

ACH

« Reply #184 on: 12 April, 2017, 05:59:41 am »
Finnish List has been finalised
93 got round  :D
Might take a little while to show up on the AUK web
Thanks to all those who started

ACH

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #185 on: 12 April, 2017, 12:13:56 pm »
Finnish List has been finalised
93 got round  :D
Might take a little while to show up on the AUK web
Thanks to all those who started

ACH
Thanks shows up on individual rides list.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #186 on: 10 October, 2017, 06:52:38 am »
Hello Folks
Once again, Audax Club Hackney is proud to present the The Dean 300.  The 2018 version is now in the calendar.  We are pleased to see that entries have already started to trickle in.
This year's edition will revert to an X-rated event, as pre 2016 versions of this epic ride.  Please be reminded that the start will always remain as The Oxford Peatree Park & Ride car park and that it will be a postal Finnish only this year.  Riders are free to end in Oxford or the Pear tree but please bear in mind for later arrivals that the distance between these two potential finishing points seems more considerable at that time of the morning.  Please also be reminded to return your breasts and proofs of passage promptly after the ride - to arrive within 14-days of the event.

Thanks again for all those who have entered so far - it's exciting to see such enduring interest for the 11th version of this classic 300 which heralds the start of the season.

ACH X

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #187 on: 10 October, 2017, 07:01:43 am »
The Stag appears to have made a couple of typos in this last post but I am sure that riders will not be tempted to return anything else other than completed brevet cards and proofs of passage.
J

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #188 on: 10 October, 2017, 09:58:40 am »
The Stag appears to have made a couple of typos in this last post but I am sure that riders will not be tempted to return anything else other than completed brevet cards and proofs of passage.
J

Shame. I was envisaging a cycling version of that episode of Blackadder.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #189 on: 10 October, 2017, 10:25:04 am »
J

Shame. I was envisaging a cycling version of that episode of Blackadder.

As long as it doesn't go tits up.

simonp

« Reply #190 on: 10 October, 2017, 11:52:07 am »
Entry in.

I might be on the start list 3 times this year due to Paypal checkout issues. I was told I was on the start list when paypal failed, twice. Third time lucky.

« Reply #191 on: 10 October, 2017, 01:29:30 pm »
I liked it last time and the weather was spot on! I might be interested again!

simonp

« Reply #192 on: 10 October, 2017, 01:30:42 pm »
Peartree hotel showing £90 for two nights. Not a great deal this far out.

« Reply #193 on: 10 October, 2017, 01:38:59 pm »
I drove there last time so I'll do that again. Just need to remember £2 for the car park fees! Entered by the way! :thumbsup:

« Reply #194 on: 10 October, 2017, 05:18:47 pm »
Was hoping to do this but as it's the day after my annual pilgrimage to Cheltenham Festival I highly doubt I'll be physically up to it.

simonp

« Reply #195 on: 10 October, 2017, 05:57:54 pm »
I drove there last time so I'll do that again. Just need to remember £2 for the car park fees! Entered by the way! :thumbsup:

2h each way for me - no chance.

Premier Inn at Didcot is cheaper and is only 20m away.

« Reply #196 on: 10 October, 2017, 05:58:55 pm »
It costs £10 and an hour 10 mins driving! How much is premier inn?

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #197 on: 12 January, 2018, 06:20:15 pm »
Is anybody ECEing back London way?

The plan is to stay over Friday night, but in the spirit of Audax I'm gonna attempt my first 400 by ECEing back home on a cold March night.

Company would be well appreciated, especially up to about Beaconsfield. The last 300 I did was 17hrs flat, so anytime from 11 - midnight at the services I would expect to start the ECE part.
Rule 77

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #198 on: 25 February, 2018, 03:26:15 pm »
I'm just thinking about booking a room at peartree Travelodge for Friday night. Money is tight as ever, is anyone up for sharing a room? Please drop me a pm.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #199 on: 27 February, 2018, 11:25:33 am »
I'm just thinking about booking a room at peartree Travelodge for Friday night. Money is tight as ever, is anyone up for sharing a room? Please drop me a pm.

@j_a_m_e_s if I stay over the night before then I'll ride home to West London, but whether I'll be at the services before midnight is a matter of conjecture at this point (and if I arrive much after I'll likely find a corner for a couple of hours Zzzs till dawn), so we shall have to see how it goes.