Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 101762 times)

Re: The Dean
« Reply #250 on: 17 March, 2018, 06:03:10 pm »
The 2013 snow on the Dean wasn’t too bad in the end.
I don't seem to recall you using those exact words in your ride report at the time ... ;D
How the memories fade after five years!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #251 on: 17 March, 2018, 06:10:35 pm »
DNS here. Think I made the right choice. Claps to those still cycling.
First 90 miles were quite nice. But we had a 'little' taste of the headwind to come whilst on the short section of A 38 outside Tewksbury. That played on mind until Chepstow. But if they are also getting snow like in Birmingham then that's truly awful!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #252 on: 17 March, 2018, 06:34:52 pm »
We peeled off early, but headed south and rejoined the route for the last 30kms bringing it up to a nice 150km. The headwind was already starting to build and was biting. I had literal icicles in my beard. There were flurries of snow too. I dread to think what it’s like out there now!

I’m glad we made the choice we did, but fair play to those still going!

John

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #253 on: 17 March, 2018, 06:50:33 pm »
I'm out - issues with new bike* meant only sensible thing to do was to pack into Bristol, as to continue would likely have left me in dire straits come the evening.That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

As expected, crossing  the Severn was brutal. Having said that, the weather up till then was OK but getting very cold now.

Got a thermos of coffee in the car waiting for me. :)

Edit: *one of which was an issue I could'nt spot with my (old) dynamo front wheel which juddered on braking despite appearing true. I discounted it at the time tinking it must be rim damage. A couple of k in to my next outing the rim braking service split.... If I'd kept going on the day, this would have put me somewhere around the Somerset Monument. Now, that would have been fun. :)

« Reply #254 on: 17 March, 2018, 07:43:36 pm »
The Dean is always going to be hit or miss weather wise, but this outing must be the most challenging for years.
Being a full value rider, I have vivid memories of going over the Marlborough Downs when the wind was howling right good and proper in anger one year. And that was during the evening of a good day. I cannot imagine what it's going to be like out there tonight. No, actually I can imagine!!!
To those out there - wishing you all a safe journey.

Garry Broad

« Reply #255 on: 17 March, 2018, 08:10:09 pm »
HEROIC

ACH

« Reply #256 on: 17 March, 2018, 11:42:33 pm »
Hope everyone made it back safely.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #257 on: 17 March, 2018, 11:44:06 pm »
I've been watching the rain fall radar and if those riders pushed on then they had near blizzard conditions to deal with. Hope everyone is OK

Lee Killestein

« Reply #258 on: 18 March, 2018, 12:11:17 am »
Made it as far as Membury. Snowed heavily from Malmesbury, progress was very slow. Booked into the Days Inn. Will weigh up recovery options in the morning. Better to be safe than sorry!

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #259 on: 18 March, 2018, 03:13:13 am »
Just home in Headington- made it as far as Cumnor on the 420 when a black cab took pity on me as I was trying to free my wheels from snow/ice build up for the nth time. A real struggle fro Malmesbury onwards, had to get off an walk a couple of times due to wheelspin, and had to fix a puncture during one of the Blizzards. By the time I got to Stanford I truly could not have given a flying f*** what colour the bench on the LHS by the turn was! The rest of it was great though😀

« Reply #260 on: 18 March, 2018, 05:33:20 am »
Amazing stories on here already! I totally had a duvet day!

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #261 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:36:23 am »
One to tell the grandchildren!

Just home in Headington- made it as far as Cumnor on the 420 when a black cab took pity on me as I was trying to free my wheels from snow/ice build up for the nth time. A real struggle fro Malmesbury onwards, had to get off an walk a couple of times due to wheelspin, and had to fix a puncture during one of the Blizzards. By the time I got to Stanton I truly could not have given a flying f*** what colour the bench on the LHS by the turn was! The rest of it was great though😀
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #262 on: 18 March, 2018, 09:33:28 am »
I am disgusted with myself. Another DNF and now my double RRTY is in tatters, 10months in.

Packed at Membury at 2206.

Was descending into Chepstow at about 1 o'clock, then it kinda went wrong. Gingerly crossed the Severn, at times riding with a 45' lean, controlling at the services at 1415.

Left at 1500 and from here it just got hard. Strong strong headwind, a couple of mechanicals (snow blocking mudguards and punctures) meant not controlling at Malmesbury untill 1800.

Left shortly after needing to maintain an average of 20kmh, which would allow us more than enough stoptime, and from here it just got stupidly hard. Stronger stronger headwind, blizzard conditions, a tumble from the chap I was riding with, a fair bit of walking from lack of traction downhill and up.

I had long decided that the ECE back home would be suicidal, and when it became apparent that I may not reach arrivee untill near 0200, I made the call to my wife and she picked me up. Last train from Oxford was a 2301 and I would long miss that.

Got to Membury and gorged on crisps, oreos and a big bar of bourneville.

The route is beautiful. Not the most physically taxing, but the conditions were brutal. Any rider that controlled at Membury anytime close to me gets a big chapeu if they finished - simply because they would have had the worst weather ever. Physically, I feel very fresh this morning, but I definitely made the right decision. Just a bit gutted - I wanted so badly to finish and be able to spin my yarns about the time I rode to Wales and back in a blizzard. Not badly enough though I guess.

Midsummer Dean would be gorgeous (thinly veiled hint).

I do have a couple of Perm cards to ride, so will definitely be revisiting this route in the near future.

Oh, and the colour of the bench would most definitely have been white, of that I am certain.
Rule 77

whosatthewheel

« Reply #263 on: 18 March, 2018, 10:05:04 am »
Looks like the quicker riders had more luck, as the worst of the snow began to fall in the evening...

Pretty heroic day out by the sound of it...  :thumbsup:

« Reply #264 on: 18 March, 2018, 12:20:45 pm »
Respect to captslow OTP. Pushed on to finish his first 300 with 30 minutes to spare!

« Reply #265 on: 18 March, 2018, 01:44:47 pm »
MUCHO RESPECT

ACH

« Reply #266 on: 18 March, 2018, 02:15:51 pm »
WHOA
We now have 4-riders back so far...
Captslow
Gerard Overton
Anissa Auburn
Jason Clark

Herculean effort folks and we’re glad that you are safe

ACH

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #267 on: 18 March, 2018, 02:18:50 pm »
WHOA
Captslow
Gerard Overton
Anissa Auburn
Jason Clark

ACH
That's amazing. Fantastic effort. Much respect.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #268 on: 18 March, 2018, 02:24:12 pm »
not sure if you can see this but Strava flyby shows six completions of the distance (obviously only for those riders on strava)

https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#1458187936?c=gcnjrfeg&z=9&t=1QhT2k&a=oC7qVm7n6lbC0O5Wa47wVk1291bD-O1WJD_tVg

« Reply #269 on: 18 March, 2018, 02:52:10 pm »
Non member Nick Fisher 'completed' (Wantage to Wantage) at around 8pm last night. His first Audax.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #270 on: 18 March, 2018, 03:17:40 pm »
Rob Jordan posted on FB that he finished around 1am with Ciaran, Jeremy and two others (Rob appears on the Strava flyby as well).
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #271 on: 18 March, 2018, 03:25:57 pm »
WHOA
Captslow = Gerard Overton
Anissa Auburn
Jason Clark

ACH
FTFY

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #272 on: 18 March, 2018, 04:26:39 pm »
WHOA

... and a big chapeau to the posties between Oxford & Hackney. Quick work guys  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #273 on: 18 March, 2018, 04:29:41 pm »
not sure if you can see this but Strava flyby shows six completions of the distance (obviously only for those riders on strava)

https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#1458187936?c=gcnjrfeg&z=9&t=1QhT2k&a=oC7qVm7n6lbC0O5Wa47wVk1291bD-O1WJD_tVg

Strava users also need to be (readily) stalkable and there at the start as they weren't going to catch Andy Gregg.  Well done to Ray Cox and Rus Kesley too.

« Reply #274 on: 18 March, 2018, 06:46:30 pm »
I am disgusted with myself. Another DNF and now my double RRTY is in tatters, 10months in.

Packed at Membury at 2206.

Was descending into Chepstow at about 1 o'clock, then it kinda went wrong. Gingerly crossed the Severn, at times riding with a 45' lean, controlling at the services at 1415.

Left at 1500 and from here it just got hard. Strong strong headwind, a couple of mechanicals (snow blocking mudguards and punctures) meant not controlling at Malmesbury untill 1800.

Left shortly after needing to maintain an average of 20kmh, which would allow us more than enough stoptime, and from here it just got stupidly hard. Stronger stronger headwind, blizzard conditions, a tumble from the chap I was riding with, a fair bit of walking from lack of traction downhill and up.

I had long decided that the ECE back home would be suicidal, and when it became apparent that I may not reach arrivee untill near 0200, I made the call to my wife and she picked me up. Last train from Oxford was a 2301 and I would long miss that.

Got to Membury and gorged on crisps, oreos and a big bar of bourneville.

The route is beautiful. Not the most physically taxing, but the conditions were brutal. Any rider that controlled at Membury anytime close to me gets a big chapeu if they finished - simply because they would have had the worst weather ever. Physically, I feel very fresh this morning, but I definitely made the right decision. Just a bit gutted - I wanted so badly to finish and be able to spin my yarns about the time I rode to Wales and back in a blizzard. Not badly enough though I guess.

Midsummer Dean would be gorgeous (thinly veiled hint).

I do have a couple of Perm cards to ride, so will definitely be revisiting this route in the near future.

Oh, and the colour of the bench would most definitely have been white, of that I am certain.